Bangor, North Wales - lines through the middle of the station - does anything still use them?

GordonC

I had a ride along to Bangor today and was surprised to find both platform avoiding lines through the centre still existing at Bangor. It seems to be one of the very few North Wales stations to have managed to retain them, but is there anything left that actually still uses them? I'm expecting any passenger services would be using the platform lines so is there any freight left beyond Llandudno Junction? (Shotton?)

I did a fair bit of filming in Bangor up to 1997....Blimey, was it really 20 years ago.....And the Class 37's were making good use of those centre roads on turn-backs.

Usually used by the yellow test trains and the railhead treatment trains. Most steam and other specials to Holyhead run through non stop.

• RMweb Gold

i used them the other month on the NMT, that was fun, so used to being bought down to 15mph on restrictive aspects to access the platform it was actually quite un-nerving to come flying out of the tunnel at 50mph!

think the rhtt uses them too

edit: spooky merv said the same thing as i typed it!

i used them the other month on the NMT, that was fun, so used to being bought down to 15mph on restrictive aspects to access the platform it was actually quite un-nerving to come flying out of the tunnel at 50mph!

think the rhtt uses them too

edit: spooky merv said the same thing as i typed it!

"Great minds - " Jim

Abergele just lost it's one only platform avoiding road and would guess, as more re-signalling spreads along the coast, the same could happen to Bangor eventually.

The concept of through lines really needs to be justified by more through trains than Bangor has.

There are a few other other places where through lines have survived, with seemingly little justification, Wellington springs to mind and Hereford.

Though Hereford can get quite congested at times, with only three of its platforms viable for the current timetable.

However, still plenty of places on the network where through roads have plenty to do, to the point of being essential.

Particularly if the approach speed is 15mph, taking the through roads out to accelerate that would have a noticeable impact on train running through the station.

In general, it baffles me why the larger stations where most things will stop were provided with loops whilst quieter places where lots of trains would run past without stopping didn't generally have the overtaking facility.

• RMweb Gold

Abergele just lost it's one only platform avoiding road and would guess, as more re-signalling spreads along the coast, the same could happen to Bangor eventually.

The concept of through lines really needs to be justified by more through trains than Bangor has.

There are a few other other places where through lines have survived, with seemingly little justification, Wellington springs to mind and Hereford.

Though Hereford can get quite congested at times, with only three of its platforms viable for the current timetable.

However, still plenty of places on the network where through roads have plenty to do, to the point of being essential.

And an awful lot of trains terminate at Hereford leading to the high platform occupancy

Phil

Zomboid, on 04 Feb 2017 - 13:06, said:

Particularly if the approach speed is 15mph, taking the through roads out to accelerate that would have a noticeable impact on train running through the station.

In general, it baffles me why the larger stations where most things will stop were provided with loops whilst quieter places where lots of trains would run past without stopping didn't generally have the overtaking facility.

Because back in the day there weren't that many stopping trains to get in the way and hold things up. At places like Bangor, with express and semi-fasts calling and terminating as well as the truly local stoppers, the platforms were likely to be occupied for longer and more often that at minor stations.

Once you get past Bangor you fall off planet earth and enter planet Anglesey with its long sections between signal boxes and stations where no lives. I'm sure those through roads would have gone long before now if they weren't useful traffic-wise or are part of possible future plans.

• RMweb Gold

Hereford centre roads get used a lot more than you think, it's used by the logs in both directions as it's pretty much the 1/2 way point along the marches and the first loop the long train will fit in southbound after leaving chirk

Archived