RMweb

FGa and FJA Freightliner flat couplings

Steadfast

Whilst coupling up an FJA Super Tench the other day, I noticed it has no screw coupling hanging from the drawhook, instead it has an emergency screw coupling hung on the headstock. FGAs appear to be the same.

Is anyone aware of why they're like this?

Thanks

Jo

Whilst coupling up an FJA Super Tench the other day, I noticed it has no screw coupling hanging from the drawhook, instead it has an emergency screw coupling hung on the headstock. FGAs appear to be the same.

Thanks

Jo

They have a swivel end on the drawbar, so if hole was provided for the coupling it would alter the  length of the draw hook. So the coupling was made like an emergency coupling, hence the bracket for the coupling on the headstock.

https://flic.kr/p/ge5FhN

Check out this picture of an FCA. The drawhook is very short and joins a vertical lever. That lever transfers the pulling force to a rubber pack. In most wagons it is in line with the drawbar. It has the be cranked down on container wagons if you want to avoid wasted wagon length.

Thanks

Jo

This photo link has been shared with us is this the sort of thing that your talking about? If so I'm not seeing an emergency coupling on the buffer beam! Just what looks like the old fashioned continental type of coupling on the hook.

post-8920-0-79148000-1486430741_thumb.jpg 

OzzyO.

I've just spent 3/4 of an hour looking on flicker for some photos of an FGA or FJA wagon and seen one good end on shot showing the red (emergency) coupling in place on the coupling hook but the photo can't be down loaded (why put on in the first place?). But I did get this one

post-8920-0-79292600-1486433571_thumb.jpg

showing what can happen when you have a coupling that is not attached to the wagon! it gets lost.

Or is it an incomplete train as it is not showing a tail light? 

OzzyO.

Ozzy, this is the best pic I can find, you can see the red screwlink hanging between the centre line and near buffer. There's what looks like a low lamp iron and a bracket under the buffer beam that take each end of the coupling. Now, what happens if you need to couple a pair and they're both missing the coupling, who knows!

https://gingespotting.smugmug.com/Wagons/F-TOPSCode/FJA/i-2ps6r8N/O

Jo

Thanks for the explanations Ernie, it's interesting to see the different approach to the same problem on different designs. I'll have to look closer at one of the runners for the Kirow cranes next time I see one, they are effectively a double ended FCA.

Jo

Or is it an incomplete train as it is not showing a tail light? 

Might just be wagons in a siding, so not having a tail that needs a light? ;)

This (601403 at the NRM) shows the swivelly hook sans coupler.

FGA_601403_York_07062016%20%2863%29-L.jp

FGA_601403_York_07062016%20%2859%29-L.jp

Interestingly whilst looking for examples I looked at the 'Drain train' PFA set, that seems to have a coupler mounted onto the drawgear, but retains the swivel.

PFA_95492_SRL_Rugby_260904z-X2.jpg

One interesting divergence - Jo, as the FJA are 'singles' - do they have the same coupler arrangement both ends?

Interesting that PFA Martyn, the coupling is continental style (straight links and and pin through the hook) rather than BR style (top link is a loop like on an Instanter) and the buffers appear to have spacers fitted to allow for the longer coupling hook fitted. It also shows the lower bracket very nicely, used to hand the loose coupling on.

As for the FJAs, I'd assume both ends are the same, but I'll bear it in mind next time I see one

Jo

Thanks for those replies fellas, explains it nicely! I did notice the head of the coupling swivelled actually, now you say that.

What was the reasoning for this, the length of the wagons?

Jo

https://flic.kr/p/ge5FhN

Check out this picture of an FCA. The drawhook is very short and joins a vertical lever. That lever transfers the pulling force to a rubber pack. In most wagons it is in line with the drawbar. It has the be cranked down on container wagons if you want to avoid wasted wagon length.

The swivel is required on the drawbar due to way the drawbar is mounted, conventional drawbar is long and will pivot on the pin that can be seen on Brian Daniels photo of the fixed drawbar, this pin joins the drawbar to the tail pin, which is were the rubbers and steel plates are to transmit the pulling force to the vehicle. 

The couplings on those vehicles look exactly the same as the emergency couplings. And from what I can remember from when I was an apprentice the only difference between the "Freightliner" coupling and the emergency on was the colour, Red for emergency and blue or black (or rust lol) on Freightliners.

It's true a picture speaks a thousand words! Those ones Brian has posted illustrate the bracket nicely and also the coupling head. I've got some old Farish FFA/FGAs to convert to FJA Tenches, so I'll add the red screwlink to at least one of them, it should stand out nicely, even in N

Jo

The Haynes Manual of Screw Couplings - Coaches and Waggons

I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but can share my knowledge of drawgear.

The coach screw coupling fits on an RCH style hook.  One link has a flat to allow it to be fitted in the 'slot'

There is an emergency screw coupling to connect vehicles fitted with automatic buckeye couplings (when a coupler has failed)  This has no flat on the long link.

The Freightliner coupling is no stronger than the Emergency Screw, but has a shorter length.  It is rated at 34t.  I need to check if it was up rated later....

Also shown are the 3 ratings of screw couplings for wagons.

If there are any questions, please ask....

Standard Coach Screw Coupling:

post-2484-0-61464400-1486498029.jpg

Coach Emergency Screw Coupling:

post-2484-0-42198600-1486498010.jpg

post-2484-0-88977600-1486498351.jpg

Heavy Duty Screw Coupling for Freighliners:

post-2484-0-92382200-1486498196.jpg

post-2484-0-80038700-1486498392.jpg

Screw Coupling for Fitted Waggons 22t:

post-2484-0-00698900-1486498287.jpg

Screw Coupling for Fitted Waggons 34.5t:

post-2484-0-73740500-1486498224.jpg

Screw Coupling for Fitted Waggons 56t:

post-2484-0-78570300-1486498272.jpg

I have just put some detail pictures on my Flickr site of an FDA if they are of any use to anyone https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157680108890196

Brian,

Nice detail pictures.  The white areas on the bottom of the trussing is where the wagons were MPI'd on a regular basis when on 'bin liner' traffic.  The 'Lamp Off' the paint (burn off with the gas axe...), quick wire brush, apply the white background paint, then when dry MPI. 

For real detail modellers, the deck height was kept constant when in container traffic by using different thickness packers on top of the axleboxes to compensate for variations in wheel diameter.  Not so critical on the FDA.

That's enough trivia facts for today...

Archived