Greenholme Pictures

If there's any interest I will occassionally post a selection of pictures taken at Greenholme on the West Cost Mainline. To assess what interest there is, here is my first offering Class 66 No.66093 heading North with an engineers train on 2nd May 2008.

These are great. Any photos of railways in in hilly areas are great to me, as the scenery often comes a close second to the train.

Even in those two photos from the same day, it illustrates how quickly the sky and weather conditions can change in the area.

These are great. Any photos of railways in in hilly areas are great to me, as the scenery often comes a close second to the train.

Even in those two photos from the same day, it illustrates how quickly the sky and weather conditions can change in the area.

You're absolutely right, the weather can change dramatically, as it did on the day the two pictures were taken. One minute it was glorious sunshine, then within no time at all we had torrential rain which lasted close on two hours. The rest of the day  we had glorious sunshine. Without doubt, Greenholme is my favourite location on the British railway system, even without trains.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shots there, Pendo looks great in that light.

A nice spot for photography. I used to call in there to break my long M6 car journey to/from Stranraer to the Midlands, when I was fairly regularly doing that journey, about the same time as your pics were taken, some ten years ago, and stand on the bridge at Greenholme and take in the fine scenery, fresh Shap air and usually some interesting WCML workings.

More pics please!

cheers,

Keith

Lovely shots there, Pendo looks great in that light.

A nice spot for photography. I used to call in there to break my long M6 car journey to/from Stranraer to the Midlands, when I was fairly regularly doing that journey, about the same time as your pics were taken, some ten years ago, and stand on the bridge at Greenholme and take in the fine scenery, fresh Shap air and usually some interesting WCML workings.

More pics please!

cheers,

Keith

Thanks for your comments Keith, much appreciated and thanks for adding to this topic by adding some pictures of your own.

As I've stated previously, Greenholme is my favourite location on the whole British railway network. Such a wonderful backdrop to enhance any picture and such dramatic lighting conditions. I also find the location very therapeutic, a wonderful place to watch the world go by, a place which fills me with contentment.

Davey

57315, The Mole, on 6J37, 13:27, Carlisle Yard - Chirk loaded timbers

Many thanks DAS for the details of this working . My prime concern was to take photographs, but thanks to you I now no full details of the working. Much appreciated.

Davey

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks DAS for the details of this working . My prime concern was to take photographs, but thanks to you I now no full details of the working. Much appreciated.

Davey

I photographed it later in the day, Helsby Wrexham General I think

Edited to add photo.

post-6662-0-60188500-1487595905_thumb.jpg

Archived