Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

On 05/02/2020 at 12:01, newbryford said:

a

I wouldn't call it "dramatic"

Are you sure there are differences? Or is it that the angle and positioning of the lower stripe begins at different places at each end?

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class68tpe/ecf44f956    https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class68tpe/ecf44fd7b

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class68tpe/ec41cd656   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class68tpe/ec41cdb14

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

Managed to bag myself a ScotRail 68 at a decent price at the Doncaster show. Will soon be pre ordering some mk2fs to go with it! Also means I can legitimately add a RHTT to my shopping list as I now have 2 37s and 2 68s that have worked together on them previously.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Managed to bag myself a ScotRail 68 at a decent price at the Doncaster show. Will soon be pre ordering some mk2fs to go with it! Also means I can legitimately add a RHTT to my shopping list as I now have 2 37s and 2 68s that have worked together on them previously.

I knew you would. Your getting like me buying all the DRS stuff. 

The Hornby ScotRail MK2fs are excellent value for money and with the second batch due for release this year a prototypical train can be made. I have bought the first batch of three and  have the second batch of three on pre-order. We are fortunate with the RHTTs because so many different DRS locos have worked on them. During the 2019 season a ScotRail 68 did work some of the Kingmoor to Kingmoor RHTTs on more than one occasion. So as you say it is more than prototypical. 

Yes I already have the DRS open and a brake on order so a pair of ScotRail opens and a brake should work nicely for a rake of 5, either 68006 or 68034 could legitimately pull. I just don't want to spend £118 at the moment on the RHTT, especially since I have very little left to sell I don't want to keep!

And no I aren't going DRS mad. If anything it's class 68 mad! Although I only have two and I required them to be newer or modified ones. So DRS livery wise I think that only leaves 034 and 008 modelled like that?

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes I already have the DRS open and a brake on order so a pair of ScotRail opens and a brake should work nicely for a rake of 5, either 68006 or 68034 could legitimately pull. I just don't want to spend £118 at the moment on the RHTT, especially since I have very little left to sell I don't want to keep!

And no I aren't going DRS mad. If anything it's class 68 mad! Although I only have two and I required them to be newer or modified ones. So DRS livery wise I think that only leaves 034 and 008 modelled like that?

Glad you have some of the DRS MK2fs. Yes DRS 034 has worked some of the Fife diagrams before with the ScotRail MK2fs, so that is prototypical. I know what you mean, it's forever trying to do the balancing act with the stock you have versus the stock that is just been produced and becoming available. I have decided that I am going to sell off some of the stock that I already have, just because so many new DRS locos are becoming available this year, that I definitely don't need all that I already have plus several more. 

Yes as far as I know the modified DRS liveried 68s are 008 and 034, which Dapol have produced so far. 

I have to say the Dapol 68s are the best locos I have ever bought. I cleaned my ScotRail 68s last night because they were quite dusty and even several years on after buying them, they are still really impressive. I need Dapol to rest the 68s though for a year or two at least after the TPE batch later this year, because whilst ever they keep releasing more I am buying more. My money just never stays in my wallet when they keep announcing these in so many liveries. My wallet needs some time to recover. 

• Funny 2

Depends on what this new company is called I suppose. The DRS brand might be dropped altogether?

At least with it being government owned it will probably be done on the cheap, i.e. not at all or just some vinyls over where DRS was written!

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Worst thing is I don't model Scotland! I'll end up talking myself into an Inter7City rake. Although it was going to be one of them or NMT, I have opted for NMT

I'm supposed to be the same. But the ScotRail loco hauled set will be an exception just because it hauled by DRS traction. I do like the Inter7Cities livery but I can't afford another HST this year. I bought one last year, so this year is a definite no. The NMT is a good choice and it's really unique. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Thanks for posting. 

If a new livery is to be made and applied to some DRS locos I would imagine it will just be some DRS locos to start off with. Just because of the size of the DRS fleet and many of the locos have already been repainted in recent years or delivered with new or had vinyls applied from new. 

In other news both Rails Of Sheffield and Hattons have confirmed the new batch of DCC Ready and DCC Fitted 68s are to be produced via their websites. Rails have also mentioned that they are expected to arrive in Q3 2020. 

6 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

In other news both Rails Of Sheffield and Hattons have confirmed the new batch of DCC Ready and DCC Fitted 68s are to be produced via their websites. Rails have also mentioned that they are expected to arrive in Q3 2020. 

Yeah both of my TPE 68's are pre-ordered with Rails with free postage.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, classy52 said:

Yeah both of my TPE 68's are pre-ordered with Rails with free postage.

Same here. Previously I have bought everything from Hattons, but now I support Rails and smaller retailers, just because I feel that Hattons get enough custom in general anyway. 

I'm also thinking of pre-ordering the Bachmann Europhoenix/Rail Operations Group 37800 due for release later this month. Are you going to buy this one?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I'm also thinking of pre-ordering the Bachmann Europhoenix/Rail Operations Group 37800 due for release later this month. Are you going to buy this one?

No I'm no longer touching 37's that don't have the Accurascale name to it, sold off all my Bachmann 37's last year thus have 37602, 609 & 97301 on order from Accurascale and shall patiently wait until they inevitably release the rest of the 37 sub-classes.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, classy52 said:

No I'm no longer touching 37's that don't have the Accurascale name to it, sold off all my Bachmann 37's last year thus have 37602, 609 & 97301 on order from Accurascale and shall patiently wait until they inevitably release the rest of the 37 sub-classes.

I don't blame you. I haven't bought any of the recent Bachmann Class 37 releases so if I buy 37800, it will be the first Bachmann 37 I have bought in over a year. I just really like the Europhoenix/ROG livery and if I bought 800 now it means I wouldn't have to wait until Q4 for 608 by Accurascale. Not that I mind waiting, I'm just eager to operate a 37 with an excellent livery haha. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I don't blame you. I haven't bought any of the recent Bachmann Class 37 releases so if I buy 37800, it will be the first Bachmann 37 I have bought in over a year. I just really like the Europhoenix/ROG livery and if I bought 800 now it means I wouldn't have to wait until Q4 for 608 by Accurascale. Not that I mind waiting, I'm just eager to operate a 37 with an excellent livery haha. 

I would wait for the Accurascale ROG 37608 but all depends how quickly you want one, I will end up getting 37608 but not until next year as I have to prioritize what I have on order from Accurascale already which also includes the GBRf Class 92 & Class 55 Alycidon from Rails and all with sound so getting quite expensive...not to mention the two TPE 68's from Dapol.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Same here. Previously I have bought everything from Hattons, but now I support Rails and smaller retailers, just because I feel that Hattons get enough custom in general anyway. 

I pre order from Hattons as they don't want a deposit and I can cancel if I have to have something else instead. When buying stuff readily available I buy from either who is cheapest or mix it up to spread the support.

I would buy 37800 any other time than now because of other stuff I am waiting for. Will work well with the 37/6 Accurascale are doing, loads of pics of them together out and about.

53 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I'm supposed to be the same. But the ScotRail loco hauled set will be an exception just because it hauled by DRS traction. I do like the Inter7Cities livery but I can't afford another HST this year. I bought one last year, so this year is a definite no. The NMT is a good choice and it's really unique. 

I have pre-ordered the ScotRail 2fs now so will be able to run with 2 ScotRail opens, 1 DRS open and a brake from each. Not quite prototypical but will look the part.

Yeah I decided I had to have a HST. Flirted with the one regionally correct regular the XC one with sliding doors, but aren't that keen on the livery and also not sure how long the franchise has left. So then I thought about the Inter7City as it's a cool livery but then as soon as I heard Hornby were doing the NMT pack again with 2 coaches due later I quickly bought the three from last year and ordered the other stuff.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

as soon as I heard Hornby were doing the NMT pack again with 2 coaches due later I quickly bought the three from last year and ordered the other stuff.

Yeah did the same thing and was lucky to get the three NMT Mk3's last year from Kernow @RRP before they sold out thus now the Hornby NMT HST & the other two MK3 coaches on order to make the train.

24 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Yeah did the same thing and was lucky to get the three NMT Mk3's last year from Kernow @RRP before they sold out thus now the Hornby NMT HST & the other two MK3 coaches on order to make the train.

I bought them on eBay for more than RRP. Then bought the Kernow ones at RRP and got my money back for the other ones.

Interestingly enough plenty of these coaches were available from more than one dealer brand new at Doncaster at more than RRP....

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, classy52 said:

I’m in 2 minds.

Accurascales Deltic is not yet here, the 92 is a bit further away. With the virus in China, i’m thinking whatever delays was previously could add a couple of month... If the Accurascale 37 is here in 2020 it will be a nice surprise but i’m not betting on it.

Flip side at £152 after discount, thats an expensive 37..., Accurascales 37 is £160. I own a lot of 37’s, to trade in and wait means losing a lot, and spending a lot more. I still own Lima and viTrains 37’s, indeed the car crash pricing saw me upgrade these two Lima 37’s last week to Bachmann & ViTrains chassis, which after selling the Lima one cost me £15 each to do (plus a Hotel key cut up to make shims to secure the body). I even made my own vitrains couplings and recycled the Lima snowploughs, painted the intercity lines over the grills...

FCBB3C38-EBDA-47B4-A47C-940CC9C2ADBF.jpeg.fc21a97b9ef969761df4be6cff0b0324.jpeg

Lima 37510 on ViTrains chassis

6D87D1F7-D5E8-424F-9452-629257D9C118.jpeg.966bb711d4ca9a3c4176af1d2861d87c.jpeg

Lima 37251 on Bachmann chassis(will sort that white line at some point)

8CDB0C18-9041-49F6-9A0F-B1F2D4123D36.jpeg.63497bb2ecce6afa88991da591059962.jpeg

5BC3D01A-3E05-4785-AA06-17790A03DD9D.jpeg.c37c75a21c75f69e18072a83542b68fb.jpeg

9EDDEF86-F55B-41ED-89B6-9933111528DB.jpeg.a145bc9c717754ca017058cedab27ee9.jpeg
recycled Lima snowploughs on the left.

now after that upgrade on a 30 year old model, do I want to bin 30+ Bachmann models less than a decade old, for an upgrade that may cost £5k plus, if everyone is made... or enjoy what I have ?

So with that, a ROG 37800 may make sense, but not at £152, when other 37’s on ebay can be had as low as £60, or as low as £40 for viTrains ones.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I’m in 2 minds.

Accurascales Deltic is not yet here, the 92 is a bit further away. With the virus in China, i’m thinking whatever delays was previously could add a couple of month... If the Accurascale 37 is here in 2020 it will be a nice surprise but i’m not betting on it.

Flip side at £152 after discount, thats an expensive 37..., Accurascales 37 is £160. I own a lot of 37’s, to trade in and wait means losing a lot, and spending a lot more. I still own Lima and viTrains 37’s, indeed the car crash pricing saw me upgrade these two Lima 37’s last week to Bachmann & ViTrains chassis, which after selling the Lima one cost me £15 each to do (plus a Hotel key cut up to make shims to secure the body). I even made my own vitrains couplings and recycled the Lima snowploughs, painted the intercity lines over the grills...

now after that upgrade on a 30 year old model, do I want to bin 30+ Bachmann models less than a decade old, for an upgrade that may cost £5k plus, if everyone is made... or enjoy what I have ?

So with that, a ROG 37800 may make sense, but not at £152, when other 37’s on ebay can be had as low as £60, or as low as £40 for viTrains ones.

Must say I've never been in a position of owning that many and along with not having a layout built yet it was easy for me to sell off my previous stock, not just 37's but also 66's & 47's, and start again by pre-ordering the latest gear including wagons from the new players which yes is a lot different to your situation.

I've only been in the hobby for a few years and unashamedly consider myself a collector for the time being but planning what I want to see on my own layout sometime in the future, I love prototype trains & model trains and yes it is a bit frustrating atm to see them in boxes and not running around on a layout but realistically I won't start building one until next year at a minimum down to a house move and converting the loft which is the only space I would have to do this...just need to be patient and continue to support the hobby in my own way.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, classy52 said:

I've only been in the hobby for a few years and unashamedly consider myself a collector for the time being but planning what I want to see on my own layout sometime in the future, I love prototype trains & model trains and yes it is a bit frustrating atm to see them in boxes and not running around on a layout but realistically I won't start building one until next year at a minimum down to a house move and converting the loft which is the only space I would have to do this...just need to be patient and continue to support the hobby in my own way.

My dad once said that to me, in 1979. Then I said that around 2009.

Now i’m surrounded in trains :)

It would be odd to sell off my Bachmann 37’s, as I’d want the chassis’s to upgrade my Lima 37’s (sentimental reasons i’ll keep them, but admit the chassis’s are just too old). Then as not all Bachmann ones would be repeated by Accurascale.. some too would remain, just as Bachmann never did all Limas)... fortunately I skipped ViTrains, but find their chassis are good.

But when I see the basic shape of Lima wasnt bad, then I look at the vitrains ones and too its not bad, that leads me too.. yes Bachmanns 37 and it too isnt bad... so if they all arent that bad...

why trade in for the sake of it ?

With the 158/159 , I found.. well very little between the old tooling and the new tooling... nicer motor, nicer front end, a lot for DCC users (but I am DC)... so instead if a mass trade in , Ive decided older liveries can stay, new liveries can be new tooling... that maybe what I do with the Accurascale 37, Heljan 44/5/6/7 and Bachmanns 150/170/171.

Anyways were a long way from Dapol 68’s... fortunately Ive only got Dapol’s 68.., but an 88 would be nice.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, classy52 said:

Must say I've never been in a position of owning that many and along with not having a layout built yet it was easy for me to sell off my previous stock, not just 37's but also 66's & 47's, and start again by pre-ordering the latest gear including wagons from the new players which yes is a lot different to your situation.

There's no shame in buying and collecting them because that's what you like to do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

There's no shame in buying and collecting them because that's what you like to do.

100% agree.

Whilst Dapol has said they are going to run more TPE 68’s, it might be useful to see a few class 68 chassis’s too.. ebay is a wash with class 68 bodies... both accurate and inaccurate ones.

Edited by adb968008