Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a shame that Dapol had no representation at Model World Live this weekend, I am sure that they could have answered a lot of queries and engaged with customers.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, gedlee said:

Hi All,

It looks as if Dapol do not set their sound decoders to work on DC, which is a disaster for me!!!

I had a new N Gauge sound fitted Class 68 delivered last weekend and on DC it was dead. (I have a large loft layout that is DC but I also use my sound fitted locos on our club DCC layout). The model shop replaced the loco and that is dead on DC as well. Nothing in the manual to say it will not work on DC and I do not have any facilities to change the decoder settings.

Have others has the same problem?

cheers,

Ged.

Enabling DC running should take about a minute the next time you're at your club and that includes the time required to remove the loco from the box and place it on the track ;)

https://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm

It's a bit irritating but I'd hardly call it a disaster.

Note: There can be issues running some DCC decoders on some DC based systems but as you appear to already be doing this it doesn't seem worth worrying about.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, gedlee said:

Hi All,

It looks as if Dapol do not set their sound decoders to work on DC, which is a disaster for me!!!

I had a new N Gauge sound fitted Class 68 delivered last weekend and on DC it was dead. (I have a large loft layout that is DC but I also use my sound fitted locos on our club DCC layout). The model shop replaced the loco and that is dead on DC as well. Nothing in the manual to say it will not work on DC and I do not have any facilities to change the decoder settings.

Have others has the same problem?

cheers,

Ged.

Enabling DC running should take about a minute the next time you're at your club and that includes the time required to remove the loco from the box and place it on the track 😉

https://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm

It's possible that Dapol have a good reason for shipping sound fitted with DC running disabled though. Maybe the sound feature doesn't work or works poorly. Still I agree that they ought to mention this. DC doesn't have the flexibility of DCC but I see no reason for people to assume that a sound fitted loco is DCC only.

Note: There can be issues running some DCC decoders on some DC based systems but as you appear to already be doing this it doesn't seem worth worrying about.

Edited by AndrueC