Boxer Bay Railway - 16' x 9' Roundy

boxerbayrailway

• RMweb Premium

Great to see some images Felix. While reading the into I glanced at the top of the first picture and wondered why you were posting pictures of real buildings!

Regards Shaun.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Great to see some images Felix. While reading the into I glanced at the top of the first picture and wondered why you were posting pictures of real buildings!

Regards Shaun.

Thank You Shaun,  

I do enjoy making structures,  loads of fun,  and not too complex after hard days work.  With work being so busy I've

had little time to dive into rolling stock construction.  I'm itching to get started on a loco kit that's been on the shelf for 

8 months now.  Promising myself I'll make a start this week.   How are things with you ?  I hear you've been doing some

electrical wiring on the complex junction.   

Cheers,

Felix

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, boxerbayrailway said:

Thank You Shaun,  

I do enjoy making structures,  loads of fun,  and not too complex after hard days work.  With work being so busy I've

had little time to dive into rolling stock construction.  I'm itching to get started on a loco kit that's been on the shelf for 

8 months now.  Promising myself I'll make a start this week.   How are things with you ?  I hear you've been doing some

electrical wiring on the complex junction.   

Cheers,

Felix

Hi mate.

Like you I've never been so busy. I'm taking a day off today after building steps for a neighbor, a fire wood shed for us and fixing the in ground watering system. Layout is back together and I'm looking forward to installing the cabinets I made under it and some scenic work for the castle! My other layout is up and running too. You're welcome to see it if you're over this way and have time of course. 

We can also fix you up with any O scale lumber you might need for structure work etc.

Regards Shaun. 

• Like 1

On 31/05/2022 at 08:57, Sasquatch said:

My other layout is up and running too. You're welcome to see it if you're over this way and have time of course. 

We can also fix you up with any O scale lumber you might need for structure work etc.

Regards Shaun. 

Thanks for the offer Shaun,  I could use some scale lumber,  I'll figure out what I need & let you know.   

Due to work I haven't been over your way for awhile,  but I'm hoping to sometime soon.  It would 

be nice to visit again,   Cheers,   Felix

Edited by boxerbayrailway
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One nice thing about this hobby, it does not have to be expensive.  Back a few years ago when I first started the layout,  I came across a set of 3 Ratio / Peco signal kits at a local show,  $5 for all 3.   I know there are nice RTR signals but the price is around £50 each.  The first one has been built & installed.  A neat fun challenge.  Now onto the next little project,  never a dull moment.

spacer.png

spacer.png

IMG_7241.thumb.JPG.799db25aee03767aea709e3e883ba444.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Train spotters at Windrush Junction were delighted to see a new loco arrive on the morning branch goods,

small Prairie #4555, steamed in with a long string of wagons.  A beautiful model by Dapol.

I knew that I would have to get one,  as way back in '03 when I visited the WSR steam gala,  I enjoyed a ride behind one.

Happy memories,  coming back to life in O.  A few photos, new from box.  She runs as good as she looks !

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

3 hours ago, bluestag said:

Felix,

Are you a Brit living in Oregon or an American with a strange fascination for Brit trains?   I'm the latter.

I'm the latter too.  Oregon born with no immediate British family / relatives.   Even stranger,  my interest is primarily

prediesel era,  for someone in their 30s !  I got hooked on British steam by watching a couple films by Ivo Peters,

and that was that.  I also have a keen interest in classic British films, music, classic cars,  humour :)   An all round Anglophile.

LNWR is a fascinating railway,  do you model in 4mm ?  One of my favorite layouts is Peter Denny's LNWR Buckingham Branch.

A Box for the horse.  I finally had a few hours to get to the workbench.  With spare time limited due to work,

I decided on a "quick" wagon kit, a Parkside - Peco  PS105  GWR Horse Box N13.   Now mostly built,  just a few

final details,  paint,  transfers & weathering to complete.  A fun kit to build,  no surprises.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

15 hours ago, boxerbayrailway said:

I'm the latter too.  Oregon born with no immediate British family / relatives.   Even stranger,  my interest is primarily

prediesel era,  for someone in their 30s !  I got hooked on British steam by watching a couple films by Ivo Peters,

and that was that.  I also have a keen interest in classic British films, music, classic cars,  humour :)   An all round Anglophile.

LNWR is a fascinating railway,  do you model in 4mm ?  One of my favorite layouts is Peter Denny's LNWR Buckingham Branch.

My interests are a little more explicable.   I lived in East Anglia in the late 60's as a young boy.   I got several bits of Brit rolling stock for my birthday, and a spotters guide, which I still have, for my birthday.   Besides the Marklin that was a family toy, I have followed Brit outline since.   I think you'll find Peter Denny's railway to have been Great Central.   I too was interested in that, to the point that I bought a few books on the GC and tried to follow it in N gauge, back when my eyesight was different.   I model in 7mm, and won't go back.

• Like 1

I think you'll find Peter Denny's railway to have been Great Central.   I too was interested in that, to the point that I bought a few books on the GC and tried to follow it in N gauge, back when my eyesight was different.   I model in 7mm, and won't go back.

Of course it was GC !!  Not sure what I was thinking, blame it on lack of sleep,  up late watching the Virtual GOG exhibition :)

Cool,  another 7mm modeller.  Always the way isn't it,  once you start with the larger scale,  you can't go back.  I tried to do a small HO layout on the side,  couldn't handle the small size.  Hard to beat 7mm.   Do you have a layout ?   I see you're in Burbank ?   Do you know John Burrow of San Diego ?  

IMG_0100.JPG.dbc0467f8cac90efae45dcaf581acaf8.JPG

8 hours ago, boxerbayrailway said:

Of course it was GC !!  Not sure what I was thinking, blame it on lack of sleep,  up late watching the Virtual GOG exhibition :)

Cool,  another 7mm modeller.  Always the way isn't it,  once you start with the larger scale,  you can't go back.  I tried to do a small HO layout on the side,  couldn't handle the small size.  Hard to beat 7mm.   Do you have a layout ?   I see you're in Burbank ?   Do you know John Burrow of San Diego ?  

John is my best mate.   He is a mentor and he tunes my decoders for me.    He has a marvelous layout.   Saw him last Thurs in my garage, where my layout resides.   It is only a year and a half old.   I got it running quickly but have done no scenicking on it.   Yes, I'm in Burbank.   If you find yourself down here, do look me up.

2021-11-01 15.47.42.jpg

IMG_0096.JPG

Edited by bluestag
Pictures
  • Like 8

John is my best mate.   He is a mentor and he tunes my decoders for me.    He has a marvelous layout.   Saw him last Thurs in my garage, where my layout resides.   It is only a year and a half old.   I got it running quickly but have done no scenicking on it.   Yes, I'm in Burbank.   If you find yourself down here, do look me up.

I've known John since '01.   I have to say,  John is one of the principal reasons I ended up in 7mm.  Met him at the OS West show & discovered British 7mm & GOG.  Rest is history.   I've been planning to come down to visit John for awhile.  Hoping maybe next March / April I can get away from work.  Your layout looks super,  a nice track plan.  Scenery does take a very long time to do.  I'm at about 30% and figure I'll never fully finish it - thankfully 😀

18 hours ago, boxerbayrailway said:

I've known John since '01.   I have to say,  John is one of the principal reasons I ended up in 7mm.  Met him at the OS West show & discovered British 7mm & GOG.  Rest is history.   I've been planning to come down to visit John for awhile.  Hoping maybe next March / April I can get away from work.  Your layout looks super,  a nice track plan.  Scenery does take a very long time to do.  I'm at about 30% and figure I'll never fully finish it - thankfully 😀

You must make your visit south match our operating schedule.    We generally meet on the first Thurs of the month.    Currently there are 3 layouts between us, so we are at any one of them every three months.   Approximately.   This photo is the beginnings of the fiddleyard, a cassette system.    It has progressed.    And the lever frame.   Picture upside down.    All the turnouts are controlled from it.    John's layout is vastly more sophisticated.   But I'm a very analog guy.    I am comfortable with wiring but not digital programming.

2022-02-19 15.43.32.jpg

2021-10-18 05.57.11.1.jpg

• Like 4

On 07/11/2022 at 18:53, bluestag said:

You must make your visit south match our operating schedule.    We generally meet on the first Thurs of the month.

Yes,  I hope to make it down to visit again.  Last time I visited John & the "Buffers" was '07 I believe.  Where does the time go !

Getting away from work is the tricky bit !    I'm more of a analog operator too.  I have old fashioned DC block control.

Ladies & Gents, Lads & Lasses, sloshed & inebriated, The Cheeky Seagull now features nightly music entertainment !
with Piano Pete & the talented Sonny MacGregor ! With Thanks to Mr. Oliver Hardy & Mr. Stan Laurel ~ Piano Movers Ltd.

The wagon was a cheap laser wood kit in 1/48, fun to build & looks okay. The equine from Duncan models, and the Piano is again 1/48 and by Petite Properties. The idea for this odd comedic cameo is lifted from the very funny Laurel & Hardy '32 "Music Box" film, if you've never seen it, you can find it on youtube under "music box 1932". I wonder, Has anyone produced 7mm figures of Laurel & Hardy ?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/11/2022 at 20:43, boxerbayrailway said:

It is an easy mistake to make as in real life, the town of Buckingham was on the LNWR, not the GCR.

However, I attach a gratuitous photo of the layout as it has been mentioned!

DSCN0048.JPG.81e9fa38292fd4556f9a1c89e5c3234e.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, boxerbayrailway said:

Ladies & Gents, Lads & Lasses, sloshed & inebriated, The Cheeky Seagull now features nightly music entertainment !
with Piano Pete & the talented Sonny MacGregor ! With Thanks to Mr. Oliver Hardy & Mr. Stan Laurel ~ Piano Movers Ltd.

The wagon was a cheap laser wood kit in 1/48, fun to build & looks okay. The equine from Duncan models, and the Piano is again 1/48 and by Petite Properties. The idea for this odd comedic cameo is lifted from the very funny Laurel & Hardy '32 "Music Box" film, if you've never seen it, you can find it on youtube under "music box 1932". I wonder, Has anyone produced 7mm figures of Laurel & Hardy ?

spacer.png

You could ask Scale 3D . They do Hercule Poirot & Mr. Bean, in 7mm and several other scales, so may be they could be persuaded, if copyright isn't an issue.

https://www.scale3d.co.uk/collections/specials

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...