RMweb

New Mills & District Railway Modellers Exhibition 26/27 Feb.

LyttonCPR

Chapel-en-le-frith High School, Long Lane, Chapel  SK23 0TQ, Sat 25th  10 till 5, Sun 26th  10 till4-30. There will be 3 n-gauge, 6  00, some  O and various assorted other sizes. Full trade support, demos, refreshments. There may be some restriction on parking in the school grounds as some contractor has decided this is the only weekend he can dig a bit up!  To add to the fun the RTC are running a double-headed steam train to Buxton and the line passes virtually over the school gates. Should be a good weekend.

RTC timings as far as I can find out. Passing school just after 10am, going uphill to Dove Holes Tunnel. Locos return light between 1pm and 1-15 to turn on Chinley triangle, going back soon after. Train leaves Buxton 14-35, should pass school between 3 and 3-15, turning right at Chinley South Junction to take the Hope Valley route. We like to provide some full size entertainment for our public as well as good models! 

• RMweb Premium

Got my layout set up at the school tonight. New fiddle yard lighting working, electric points working, track power ... er ... none! Of course it was fine when I tested it at home. Found the fault, 16v ac not getting to the handheld controller. Early start tomorrow morning to get it fixed.

Got most of the exhibits into the school tonight on a dry but cold evening. Tomorrow supposed to be wet but at least we're not trying to run anything outside. Sunday promised to be dry, but this is the Peak District where as a friend of mine said that there are only two seasons, winter and wet! Hope to see as many as possible of you over the weekend. Alastair.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent day at the show. Good layouts and good company. Big relief this morning when I plugged the layout in and it all worked fine, indeed it ran well all day. Hopefully one family went home very happy after I let one of their children run my railway for a while, he ran it really well too. Looking forward to another good day tomorrow.

Despite the stormy weather I think a good day was had by all. The Buxton Spa Express ran, if not entirely to time, and could be seen from the windows of the school. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow, and the parking attendants will not get so wet and cold!    Alastair.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone running the show this weekend, we were well looked after and the meals were very good too. We were exhibiting Kirkby Stephen West and were lucky enough to be awarded trophy's for best layout voted by the public and also by the club members for which we felt very honoured. The layout behaved well on Saturday but first thing on Sunday morning we had our first significant electrical fault in 15 years of exhibiting the layout when one of the three transformers feeding the controllers failed. Fortunately the layout is wired for cab control so we were able to continue running the two main lines and only shunted the yard when the 'pick up goods' came around. We normally shunt the yard continually to make sure there is always something moving but the problem didn't seem to be noticed by anyone watching the layout.

Thanks again to everyone from the New Mills and district club for looking after us so well.

Ian

Thanks, Ian, we enjoyed having you and your team.  School all emptied and put back to normal by 6-30ish. Thanks to all who came, from the comments we take it that they enjoyed themselves, we certainly did despite the little men who dug a couple of holes in the road outside and blocked one of the entrances! Luckily we have a member expert in crowd and parking management!. Hopefully see you all next year.   Alastair.

• RMweb Premium

A very enjoyable werkend. Nice to meet up with friends and visitors. Layout ran fine all weekend, including the new Sentinel conversion. Home by 2030hrs with no jams on M60 or M6. Just as well as work had me starting at 7 this morning. Got to sort out railway room when I get home later.

Archived