The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Names for the Class 800s

Geoff Endacott

I have got it into my head that the Class 800s ought to be called the Brian Class (after D800 Sir Brian Robertson.)

Of course, this would mean that a list of suitable Brians would be needed. So far I have got...

Sir Brian Robertson (of course)

Brian Clough

Brian Cant

Brian the Snail

Life of Brian

Any more?

Geoff Endacott

I have got it into my head that the Class 800s ought to be called the Brian Class (after D800 Sir Brian Robertson.)

Of course, this would mean that a list of suitable Brians would be needed. So far I have got...

Brian Clough

Brian Cant

Brian the Snail

Life of Brian

Any more?

Geoff Endacott

Life of Brian - just proving that rmweb is indeed Monty Python!

• RMweb Gold

As next year is 100 years since the end of the first world war, it could be good to name at least some after various people or places from the conflict.

May be a good idea if they were British.

• RMweb Gold

To be honest I think the more trains become 'appliances' I think naming them is a thing of the past. Whilst the traditional nameplates on a pendolino are a nice touch on something that is absolutely awful in all respects no one at all refers to them by their names.

Naming a unit is the same as naming the fridge and dishwasher in your kitchen!

Brian Clough

Brian Cant

Brian the Snail

Life of Brian

Any more?

Geoff Endacott

Brian The Snail

• RMweb Premium

To be honest I think the more trains become 'appliances' I think naming them is a thing of the past. Whilst the traditional nameplates on a pendolino are a nice touch on something that is absolutely awful in all respects no one at all refers to them by their names.

Naming a unit is the same as naming the fridge and dishwasher in your kitchen!

Perhaps we should forget the names, then, and just adorn the trains with a selection of fridge magnets. I would suggest including a different set of poetry magnets on each unit, to give a unique flavour to the comments left by the travelling public.

Archived