3D printed road vehicles

grahame

Graeme

Those last two vehicles are superb and fair play to you for cutting out windscreens rather than using glaze glue stuff, I think I'd have just done the glaze but the effect is so much better with the clear material.

As you say possibly at the edge of the limit but credit to you for your patience and perseverance, I'd say its been wortwhile.

I've ordered the Soehaves Workshop 3D printed later fronted Ford D800 tractor unit in 1:148 scale - https://www.shapeway...tionId=63547582

My plan is to make a Courage beer tanker inspired by the one in this vid at 6mins 42secs: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=south+london+in+the+1970s&&view=detail&mid=F25EDAF4B34C664B9A7DF25EDAF4B34C664B9A7D&&FORM=VRDGAR

Obviously it's not the same cab but the D800 should be in keeping with the era and I'll need to scratch-build the tanker trailer, but dig that crazy gold cockerel model (the courage logo) on the cab roof. The Courage Horsleydown Brewery was on the Thames south bank next to Tower Bridge at the end of Tooley Street where the tanker lorry (and all the other traffic) is heading towards.

I need to source some tube - that I've estimated needs to be 12mm outside diameter - for the tank body. Most styrene tube only seems to go up to 9mm and the dowel I have is 15mm - far to wide. So if anyone has a short off-cut 3 to 4 inches long of something suitable they'd be happy to pass on I'd be most grateful.

G

Edited by grahame

Thanks.

When I initially looked I didn't find the 0.5" (12.7mm) tube on the Evergreen website but later found it for sale at Hattons:  http://www.hattons.co.uk/47483/Evergreen_Plastics_EG236_1_2_0_5_Tubes_2_per_pack/StockDetail.aspx although at £5 plus £2 P&P for just two 14" lengths.

I also found this:  https://www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/12mm-2m-Length-16-bar-rated-PN16-PVC-Pipe_p_1148.html although it's PVC rather than styrene and is supplied in 2m lengths. I think I'll order the Evergreen from Hattons as I'll at least have sufficient spare for other projects and know it will cut and glue easily enough.

G

A little searching has found this pic of a Courage beer tanker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/39624596@N02/19326857683/in/photolist-vrRcsc rather than relying on the rather hazy video.

The tanker trailer is very similar to the one in the video although that is maroon and sign-written 'Courage' which is how I hope to finish it. The differences appear to be two rear axles (the one in the vid looks like three but is difficult to see) and a continuous catwalk - but otherwise the pipes and filler domes are the same. I'll probably go with the two rear axles as I have a Tomytec trailer frame (I've removed the modern underrun protection bars) which should be easy enough to adapt and add a tank body to:

post-33-0-73506200-1530796905_thumb.jpg

An email just received from Shapeways says the Ford D tractor unit is made and on its way to me. And so too is the Evergreen tube according to Hattons.

G

• Like 3

I've just had an email from UPS saying that I have 'a packing coming tomorrow' (with an estimated delivery date of Friday 6th July) from Shapeways. After all the palaver of their last effort to deliver on the specified date I don't actually hold out much hope of it arriving tomorrow, but perhaps early next week . . . 

A little searching has found this pic of a Courage beer tanker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/39624596@N02/19326857683/in/photolist-vrRcsc rather than relying on the rather hazy video.

The tanker trailer is very similar to the one in the video although that is maroon and sign-written 'Courage' which is how I hope to finish it. The differences appear to be two rear axles (the one in the vid looks like three but is difficult to see) and a continuous catwalk - but otherwise the pipes and filler domes are the same. I'll probably go with the two rear axles as I have a Tomytec trailer frame (I've removed the modern underrun protection bars) which should be easy enough to adapt and add a tank body to:

attachicon.gifDSC_6153.JPG

An email just received from Shapeways says the Ford D tractor unit is made and on its way to me. And so too is the Evergreen tube according to Hattons.

G

Both tankers seem to have a single wheel arrangement on each end of their axle where as the Tomytec chassis has twin .

Both tankers seem to have a single wheel arrangement on each end of their axle where as the Tomytec chassis has twin .

Yes, I had noticed that. And it appears the twin axle wheels on the Hoffmeister tank are much wider than those (on the three axles?) of the other trailer. It fair bounces down Tooley Street in the video.

But reducing the wheels on an axle, or even replacing the axles (I've a small statch of various spares) shouldn't be difficult as they just clip in place, although the curved mudgaurds, once made and fitted, should somewhat disguise what is on the model.

G

Just found this pic of a Courage three axle beer tanker:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=courage+beer+lorry&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvjazI7IncAhXMKsAKHQC5CKgQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=747&dpr=1.25#imgrc=cz4b6jYRERhO3M:

It looks a little different again (catwalk and pipe arrangements) compared with the other two. 

One thing I must add is the gold Courage cockerel mascot model on the cab roof:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/courage-brewery-lorry-mascot-cockerel-543251741

Langley (or is it P&D Marsh) do cast white metal chickens/hens - one of those might do. Has anyone a suitable spare?

G.

The only Preiser N gauge chickens I can find are in the farmyard animal set 79093:  https://www.preiser-figuren.de/preiser-79093-1:160-kleintierset:-schweine-ziegen-gänse-und-hühner-preiser-79093,art-18434   There is a chicken collection in OO but I think they'll be too large (and scary!). And it does seem rather perverse to buy nicely painted figures only to repaint them all over in gold.

G.

UPS actually delivered today - right in the middle of the second half of the Uruguay v France game.

Anyway, I've now given the tractor unit/cab a scrub with cream cleaner and a dusting of grey primer to see if there is any smoothing required. The model has an interior but unfortunately was left hand drive so I cut the steering wheel off and glued in on the other side - although it does look a little chunky. However, overall it's nicely modelled and well thought out with a lot of frame details, revolving wheels and tilting cab:

post-33-0-37119900-1530896024_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 3

Here's a golden one : https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/courage-brewery-lorry-mascot-cockerel-543251741

I've thinned the Tomytec trailer spigot to fit the new Ford cab unit. I think I might need to reduce the overall length. Perhaps by cutting back the rear overhang :

post-33-0-68709400-1530947215_thumb.jpg

I'm now waiting on the post for the tube. Fingers crossed it turns up today and will be suitable - I've a horrible feeling it might be too thick.

G

• Like 1

The tube has arrived by postie. Perhaps it ought be a little thinner, but it's probably just about okay and I should get away with it.

I've shortened the trailer chassis a little by chopping a couple of sections out of it - does it need more? And here's a pic with a length of the tube just resting on it:

post-33-0-14079700-1530967048_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 1

I've shortedned the chassis and tank body further. Both are now glued together so this'll have to do:

post-33-0-80958900-1530983222_thumb.jpg

It possibly looks long as other comparative tanker bodies usually have a larger diameter. 

G

• Like 3

Rear mudguards and filler domes fabricated and fitted now. I'm not sure why the domes are so large, but they are on the real beer tankers, or what they are for as there are silver pipes - on the other side and yet to be made as well as the catwalk - that go up to them.

post-33-0-27588500-1531038592_thumb.jpg

I've not bothered with fiddling/altering the rear wheels as they are effectively hidden by the mudguards. It's a bit of a freelance tank trailer but based on several that Courage used in the 80s, although they were all slightly different and the cab/tractor unit was different in all the three pics I have found. I need to get some maroon paint for the Courage livery but that'll have to wait until next week.

Off to get the Sunday papers now (when I've finished the pot of tea).

G. 

• Like 5

Phew. I've now managed to make the catwalk - well, of a sort. Small triangles of plasticard with the long side profiled to match the curvature of the tank body glued in place, then a strip of thin metal mesh super-glued in place on top. If it's not hot enough already, I was sweating buckets making it.

It looks better than it sounds and should fit in when painted the same as the tank body.

G

• Like 1

Here's a pic of progress so far:

post-33-0-65014300-1531080974_thumb.jpg

The catwalk surface needs tacking down to the supports in a few places and probably needs a strip of thin plasticard along the leading edge. Then it's bending up some wire for the pipe-work. Painting will have to wait until I can get some maroon paint. But I'm busy for the next few days - so that's it for a little while.

G.

• Like 4