A scratchbuilt brewery (or maybe textile mill)

As I understand people agree this forum is about card modelling in general, here are a couple of pics of my effort today in building a brewery/mill for my layout Northam Central. The building is getting reasonably finished, but I still have to put on a couple of more downpipes, window arches and a smaller lean to building on the left hand side of the building.

Everything apart from the ventilation shaft (drinking straw), window glazing (spread packets) and downpipe (brass rod) is made from different types of waste card or cerial packets, and clad with brick paper. The corrugated roof was made from laminated waste card I get from a picture framer.

As much I think both Metcalfe, Scalescenes and other manufacturer's buildings are great, I prefer to scratch build as I want to have buildings unique to my lay out.

brewery_1.jpg

brewery_2.jpg

I really like what you have built here, very nice work!

Have you thought about a very light dusting with some weathering powders or scraped pastels? Using a soft make up brush (that you can pick up from most chemists) and working over the surface and into the corners I find really softens and tones in the print surface.

Looking good, if you are after an alternative to weathering powders, along with John's suggestions, I have picked up from poundland a set of four dark coloured eye shadows, even comes with a sponge applicator thingy.

You just have to not care about the looks you get from the young ladys on the til :-)

Hi, The set I got from Poundland was a pound. Four brown ish colours in the set. Its worth keep popping back in as I have seen in the past that they have bigger sets with more colours, but still only a pound.

• RMweb Gold

(I appreciate how much things cost in Poundland - it was an obscure reference to a family in-joke about walking in to the shop and repeated asking the staff "how much is this, please ?", "how much are two of these , please ?")

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Went in to Pondland today and bought these two items - it only cost me two pounds !

post-7025-126970063855_thumb.jpg

I didn't buy the sparkly blue set of powders, as I'm not sure where they would be used (modelling-wise...)

Stu

Went in to Pondland today and bought these two items - it only cost me two pounds !

I didn't buy the sparkly blue set of powders, as I'm not sure where they would be used (modelling-wise...)

Stu

Maybe to represent some sort of flecked limestone/marble type cladding on a building, or those sparkly tarmac/pavements you sometimes see.

Got to find a use for everything!

Interesting, did any one else get the feeling that they just paid too much for a small make up pack in three ' Autumn tones' with the words 'Tamiya' on the packaging?

Yep always looking for cheaper alternatives.

Think its the fact that both me and the wife have been on short time for the last 18 months, and its the looking for alternatives for everything we have to buy that has meant we have survived.

I get card offcuts from our local picture framers, Always check out what pound shops have, I go through the charity shops and have picked up paints etc. Recycle number 6 on plastics mean they are styrene type and will glue (lidls Gorgonzola pack and ASDA smart price egg box). Nothing gets thrown away in our house until its checked that is could not have another use.

Cheers

Andy

(I appreciate how much things cost in Poundland - it was an obscure reference to a family in-joke about walking in to the shop and repeated asking the staff "how much is this, please ?", "how much are two of these , please ?")

Stu

I shall go to my local Poundland and get some, I wonder if I can get a discount for cash!!! laugh.gif

Archived