Three link and screwlink couplings

OK, I need to fit out quite a few 00 locos and stock with 3 link couplings in 4mm scale, but the market place is a bit confusing, and some suppliers seem very expensive.

I need a type with steel link at the bottom for pickup by magnetic pole, and the appropriate screwlink couplings, mainly for appearance on the locomotive. This can be all brass or nickel, as the magnetic link on the stock will suffice to couple the stock, without using the three link.

Not having bought any 4mm for ages and now there are no local shops to examine the couplings, what suggestions are there for basic brass hooks, and pre-made chain.

I don't mind making the chain from .7mm brass and steel, so also does anybody do just the basic hook couplings as etchings or stampings?

I see Brassmaster list etchings for the hooks, which can be doubled in thickness, are there other suppliers?

Who does a decent screwlink coupling, I have been mainly using Slaters in 7mm or Dapol 7mm as well.

I am aware of the Smiths brand, do Slaters still do 4mm?

Stephen

Smith's coupling hooks are available from a number of retailers but, so far, I have only found Wizard Models selling the packs of just the hooks in packs of 20. I would just superglue the hooks into the wagon headstocks and make my own links, a junior hacksaw blade cuts a slot just the right width for the hook. Only today I picked up some 0.5mm wires in brass and steel from a stand at Chapel-en-le-Frith exhibition to make the links. Haven't started yet because I found some made-up couplings at a swapmeet a while ago and am still using them up.

Smiths also do screw couplings.

p.s. I understand that Smith's couplings are a bit oversxale for 4mm but at least they work.

Smith's coupling hooks are available from a number of retailers but, so far, I have only found Wizard Models selling the packs of just the hooks in packs of 20. I would just superglue the hooks into the wagon headstocks and make my own links, a junior hacksaw blade cuts a slot just the right width for the hook. Only today I picked up some 0.5mm wires in brass and steel from a stand at Chapel-en-le-Frith exhibition to make the links. Haven't started yet because I found some made-up couplings at a swapmeet a while ago and am still using them up.

Smiths also do screw couplings.

p.s. I understand that Smith's couplings are a bit oversxale for 4mm but at least they work.

p.p.s. Lanarkshire make some whitemetal couplings hooks which may be nearer to scale but I haven't tried them yet. They do look as though they need a hole drilling to take the links.

p.p.p.s. Some RTR loco from Bachmann, and Heljan (not sure about Hornby) come with some nice plastic hooks and screw couplings but I don't know if any supply them as spares.

Ambis Engineering can supply most, if not all, you need. They offer six different coupling hooks, can supply three link couplings including magnetic links, and they do a screw coupling etching although I haven't seen it and cannot comment on its effectiveness. I personally prefer the Masokits screw coupling etch, as I find it more robust than the other etches I have tried, and more workable than fancy ones like Exactoscale.

The Exactoscale were the expensive ones. I will look up the other makes. I used to use .7mm wire,  but the . 5 mm would be better, although not sure that soldering might be needed. The .7mm just need bending to shape on a former, and is strong enough without soldering. The Hornby moulded three links are not with the W4 Peckett locos, just a hook fitted, which could take the .5mm links easily.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Back in the day, when my eyesight and steadiness of hand were up to it, I used scale couplings in 4mm, a mixture of Smith's and Jackson's.  I preferred the Jackson's for screw couplings, as the Smith's 'Ds' were prone to spreading and coming apart without constant attention.  Like Poor Old Bruce, I'd cheat and cut a slit in the wagon headstock or buffer beam and superglue 'em in.  Slitting disc exactly the right size for this!

I'd be wary of using Hornby/Bachmann types (not familiar with Heljan) for heavy loaded applications as they are intended as cosmetic additions, detailing, rather than use as a working coupling, but if anyone does use them to pull 60 wagon freights up gradients and has found them ok, I'll happily retract that comment!

The Smith's were a bit delicate and, if a particularly rough driving club member took a turn operating at a show, I'd remove any of my stock fitted with them from the layout.

• RMweb Gold

I use Brassmasters hooks, and I make my own links from small stationery staples. I can usually get 2 links per staple. Being steel, they are magnetic. The best bit is if you mess a link up, there's about another 2,000 in the pack.....

There is nothing like watching a train 'take up' as it moves off.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Don't overlook that overscale at least means less fiddly coupling, something to be considered if you're going to be doing a lot of shunting (and if it's a compromise you're willing to make).

OK, I need to fit out quite a few 00 locos and stock with 3 link couplings in 4mm scale, but the market place is a bit confusing, and some suppliers seem very expensive.

I need a type with steel link at the bottom for pickup by magnetic pole, and the appropriate screwlink couplings, mainly for appearance on the locomotive. This can be all brass or nickel, as the magnetic link on the stock will suffice to couple the stock, without using the three link.

Not having bought any 4mm for ages and now there are no local shops to examine the couplings, what suggestions are there for basic brass hooks, and pre-made chain.

I don't mind making the chain from .7mm brass and steel, so also does anybody do just the basic hook couplings as etchings or stampings?

I see Brassmaster list etchings for the hooks, which can be doubled in thickness, are there other suppliers?

Who does a decent screwlink coupling, I have been mainly using Slaters in 7mm or Dapol 7mm as well.

I am aware of the Smiths brand, do Slaters still do 4mm?

Stephen

0.7mm brass will look way too heavy - bear in mind that 1mm scales to 3 inches in 00 - Queen Mary anchor chain. Roxey Mouldings 4A111 look quite nice when they're done but you have to assemble them .and they're cheap at £2.50 for 4 pairs.

I don't think you'll find a screw coupling with a steel botton link but Exactoscale do magnetic links for 3 link couplings 4CP 312A

Edited by RexAshton

• RMweb Premium

My personal preference for 3-link/Instanters is Ambis etched hooks and Instanter links and Smiths ordinary links. Ambis sells all as separate packs, plus the iron links for the magnetic wand wielders. I chemically blacken the hooks/instanters. Once done, it's a matter of seconds to assemble a coupling - I usually make up a couple of dozen at a time.

The Smith hooks are rather coarse, (hence the use of the finer Ambis ones) but the Smiths links are fine enough and still usable under exhibition conditions!

Screw couplings - Most of mine are Smiths, though I have some Ambis ones to use at some point (I'm not a magnetic type, preferring a 4mm version of the properly-shaped shunters pole

Re think, some tests are showing troubles with the reach of a chain , over 11 inch curves, (industrial line), with buffers touching when pulling and the risk of the locking on pushing. It's a mixture of RTR makes and Airfix kits, and there is little space for a spring on the hooks back end. Most makers seem to put the floor solid behind the buffers, almost impossible to alter without major surgery.

Longer chains can be fitted, but leaves the stock not much closer than the modern Hornby couplings.

I had originally wanted to use Kadee, but the buffers get in the way on curves again, and although you cannot get locking, it leaves the Kadee sticking out a long way from the NEM socket. Its a pity the old Peco coupling is not made to fit the NEM sockets.

I am making up several chains tonight to check the lengths needed, they will certainly not be the standard length, but just a bit more.

Stephen

• 2 years later...
On 27/02/2017 at 06:20, PMP said:

Masokits screw coupling build on here https://albionyard.wordpress.com/fifteen-minute-heroes/ Good value with seven sets per sheet.

For three link I use Ambis links and smiths links.

In 7mm scale I use Slaters or Just like the real thing for screw couplings.

Do you know if these screw link couplings are still available, as the catalogue is from July 2017!

Thanks