A Turned Brass Chimney and dome ?

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine is constructing a CSP kit of an Avonside B3 for a WW! project called Tackeroo.

The kit is predominantly etched but some parts are cast in white metal.  The kit is almost finished... but we are now stuck!

The main cast parts are chimney, dome, buffers, tank filler.

These castings are really poor, the mould alignement is incorrect and some of the parts are not usable.   I have emailed CST twice now with no response, I was just hoping that they might have some better castings

Buffers for an Avonside are the same as a Manning Wardle so that was sorted via RT Models

So, I need at least a chimney and a dome and maybe a tank filler.  Does anyone produce commission turned components?

Ideally I would send some dimensions and some cash and they would send me a chimney and a dome.

Does anyone do this?

Andy

Hi Andy, in 2012 I commissioned Michael Edge of Judith Edge kits to turn some 7mm boiler fittings for my GWR "Earl Cawdor", a one off design if ever there was one. His turnings were excellent and I would thoroughly recommend him if he's still doing it. There are photos of the turnings on my (still shamefully unfinished) loco on page 8 of my scratch-building thread. Of course there is always the alternative of buying something as similar as possible to what you want and shaping it up in a mini-drill with files and wet-and-dry.

Cheers

Simon

A friend of mine is constructing a CSP kit of an Avonside B3 for a WW! project called Tackeroo.

The kit is predominantly etched but some parts are cast in white metal.  The kit is almost finished... but we are now stuck!

The main cast parts are chimney, dome, buffers, tank filler.

These castings are really poor, the mould alignement is incorrect and some of the parts are not usable.   I have emailed CST twice now with no response, I was just hoping that they might have some better castings

Buffers for an Avonside are the same as a Manning Wardle so that was sorted via RT Models

So, I need at least a chimney and a dome and maybe a tank filler.  Does anyone produce commission turned components?

Ideally I would send some dimensions and some cash and they would send me a chimney and a dome.

Does anyone do this?

Andy

You may get more luck with 3D printed parts, in any case you're going to need accurate drawings to work from. 

• RMweb Premium

It might be worth giving CSP another shout. It seems that they are trying to sort out the problems.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119575-csp-models/

Jason

That is good news. I think the email that csp state in that thread is different to the one I'm using.

Thank you very much, I'll try again

Andy

Archived