Hilux5972's Royal Scotsman Build

• RMweb Premium

The 9 coaches have had the final embellishments done to their underframes and the bogies have been refitted. This is one of them to show them in closeup detail. 1 coach to go.

post-7482-0-80092700-1530209631_thumb.jpegpost-7482-0-19973000-1530209693_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Excellent work all round with this, especially on the observation car. That etching looks terrifying to put together!

The real train very occasionally passes by my house on the way up to the West Highland Line, hauled by the branded GBRF 66's. Can't wait to see yours all put together when it's finished!

Well done Hilux. Fair play to you for your dedication because I imagine some of it must have been quite repetitive.

I do think the darker red / maroon looks more authentic but digi photography can mislead. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys. Yeah it did look a bit better Covkid, but in the daylight it was clearly more of a Brown than a red so I wasn’t too pleased with it. This new colour is a lot more red in photos but not too bad In Natural light.

I’m looking to scratch build interiors for the coaches, but not sure what to use. Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable material?

I’m looking to scratch build interiors for the coaches, but not sure what to use. Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable material?

Sheet plasticard should be fine for internal wall. Are you going to cover cabins with curtains?

The beginning of a very long, painful process, probably resulting in temporary loss of vision. Axle ends painted yellow. Springs will be red, and the damper arms (I’m not sure if this is the correct term) will be blue.

E8C476FF-BE8F-4DBE-A93F-75656A7270D8.jpeg

Eventually they will look like this:

D989D42D-B06F-4515-B156-C21300CA2E99.jpeg

Can someone give me the correct term for the blue part? Now to have a break and do an oil change on the car to let my eyes recover!

The yellow parts are axle caps IIRC. The actual axle ends cannot be seen on these.

Nice, neat work though.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all. Just a quick message to say this project is not dead. I’ve had such a full on work load for the last 6 months that I’ve had time for sleep and nothing else. The last coach did get converted so I will get some images this weekend and get more transfers ordered so I can continue. Wolf27 from this parish has very kindly done up a test etch for me of the window frames and they are on their way post haste to New Zealand so I can get those in position to make sure they are correct and a good fit before he goes ahead with the full rakes worth. Hopefully won’t be long until this is complete. 

Cheers

Edited by Hilux5972
Spelling correction
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2020 at 08:08, amwells said:

@Hilux5972 did you ever finish this? Really interested as I’m going to start my own in the next few months!

Not yet I haven’t. Still waiting on the etched window frames. They were ready for etching earlier this year but the pandemic has put a stop to everything at the moment. Hopefully by the end of this year I should have it completed. 

On 16/05/2020 at 22:23, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Just needs the Hattons 66 pair with sound fitted now

Ordered and awaiting the arrival. Hattons reckon end of June so not long to go now. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Should look great,you can also pull freight with them as they dont allways do this set

Yep I’m planning on a rake of KFA container stock. I’m not happy with the colour of my coaches now though. Will be too different to the locos so may end up repainting them yet again lol

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 1

The other has just replaced 66733 on the alcans so should be on the north Blyth to fort William turn for a bit. Also seen it paired with the biffa bin shed on a ballast a few months back so plenty of scope for freight operations with the locos

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Finally have an update to report. After some toing and froing and measuring and counting windows and measuring again, I have the etched window frames for the rake on their way to me. Thanks to the fantastic work done by @Wolf27 for his custom work and putting up with my constant messages asking if they are ready yet lol. They look amazing and I can’t wait to get them on the train. ECD66CE9-762E-469D-92C7-DDB8E51986E9.jpeg.26c0896b4cd5929e619a95d20a0539d3.jpeg

Here we have the sheets for the Pullman cars. Quite a few sheets for this one and plenty of spares too. 
8B14DE33-6A52-4C4E-9936-3F95ABAC4B1C.jpeg.0f72b5abcd3d823f8244f23504f63fc3.jpeg

And this is the etch for the Mk3 coaches. Can plough ahead with this build again now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Funny that you posted this so recently, I have found a way for me to make my windows finally. This machine uses an app to create the designs needed and then cuts them out of any material. Perfect for my needs and I can use it for my 1/200 Titanic model as well. 

248934F7-683B-4843-816B-3B55FAA276C4.png

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 17/10/2023 at 07:55, D6775 said:

Sorry to resurrect a thread, but what paint did you use in the end? I have my first 7mm coach pretty much ready for paint now. 

I haven’t gotten around to stripping them and repainting yet because I haven’t decided on the correct shade yet and my 1/200 Titanic has taken over my modelling room. I’ll be using a colour to match the West Coast Railways locos I have. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Added
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

I haven’t gotten around to stripping them and repainting yet because I haven’t decided on the correct shade yet and my 1/200 Titanic has taken over my modelling room. I’ll be using a colour to match the West Coast Railways locos I have. 

That explains why I've not found reference to it! I am leaning towards Ford Burgundy Red, although its more BR Maroon. I've the first of my 7mm set ready to paint and I'm itching to get it done!

• RMweb Premium
On 29/10/2023 at 21:04, D6775 said:

That explains why I've not found reference to it! I am leaning towards Ford Burgundy Red, although its more BR Maroon. I've the first of my 7mm set ready to paint and I'm itching to get it done!

Feel free to post pics here. Would love to see it.

• Like 1