Can anyone identify this loco?

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-XYsKXYhXM-SGxIQy1scTFoQnc

Taken in late May/early June 1983, from a boat, whilst on a family holiday. Not sure exactly where, but it's near Interlaken, because that's where we got the boat from. There are 2 possible lakes the cruise could have been on-Thunersee, or Brienzersee, I don't remember which.

Question is-can anyone identify the loco? It looks German, going by the red wheels, and it looks like a pacific, though difficult to be sure. I think I know what it is, but I don't want to put ideas into anyone's head!

Cheers N

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Gents.

Jon Hall-01 202 is what I reckoned it was.

Can anyone say for definite that my photo is of an 01? I'm not familiar enough with German steam to know!

cheers N

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Gents.

Jon Hall-01 202 is what I reckoned it was.

Can anyone say for definite that my photo is of an 01? I'm not familiar enough with German steam to know!

If that is 01.202, then it is not one of the Neubaukessel variants. Only three of the latter still exist today: 01.164, 01.180 and 01.220. Of this trio, only 01.180 is in working order. 01.164 is privately owned, but can be seen at the DDM, whilst 01.220 has been on a public plinth in Treuchtlingen since withdrawal, and is in a very poor state.

• RMweb Gold

If that is 01.202, then it is not one of the Neubaukessel variants. Only three of the latter still exist today: 01.164, 01.180 and 01.220. Of this trio, only 01.180 is in working order. 01.164 is privately owned, but can be seen at the DDM, whilst 01.220 has been on a public plinth in Treuchtlingen since withdrawal, and is in a very poor state.

The boiler certainly doesn't look like an all - welded boiler, according to it's Wikipedia entry, 01 202 still carries an original pattern boiler.

I have been sent some photos from a German correspondent, which show 01 202 under overhaul, the rivets are clearly visible.

Cheers N

• 4 weeks later...

01 202 is the subject of a Minitrix limited edition (ref 16014) new item for 2017 so that people can run it as at 'today' on a special on a Swiss or German outline layout (in fact 01 202 is running to Geneva in May and could be seen on a day trip by air from London)

Archived