Little Muddle

KNP

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Re Southern Railway visitors, an ex LSWR T9 on an excursion would be a very nice thing to see.

Providing you can find one without Mazak rot?? An obvious target for retooling, if someone does not beat Hornby to it.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Providing you can find one without Mazak rot?? An obvious target for retooling, if someone does not beat Hornby to it.

That's a shame, didn't know that they were also afflicted with the monkey metal malaise. Strange that Dinky toys, a part of the Hornby empire had got the better of mazak rot by about 1947, nothing they made thereafter crumbled.

Still, it's cheaper to get some Maoist slave labour doing your casting over a bonfire in the middle of a field...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Pteremy said:

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's a shame, didn't know that they were also afflicted with the monkey metal malaise. Strange that Dinky toys, a part of the Hornby empire had got the better of mazak rot by about 1947, nothing they made thereafter crumbled.

I have, as they say, 'several' Hornby T9's and I have not experienced this problem with them - whereas I have on Schools, West Countries etc.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

51 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Don't think that I would get much done working in that office!

For once Mr Wolf we are in total agreement.

The noise would be  absolutely terrible. What with trains rumbling past every hour, doors being slammed and porters shouting there heads off- what is it about an umbrella that you have to bellow from one end of the platform to the other.

I'm going to write a letter of complaint. We need double glazing and black out blinds fitting at the very least.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, KNP said:

Slowly moving through the station is a loco that some might decide is a little out of area but this is LM where Rule 1 applies on a regular basis.

The 56xx hauls the livestock special fresh from the Welsh Valleys! Perhaps?

5149.jpg.4cfc05bce6ca055b46aec5dea6d99ccb.jpg 

Lots of cow-mining in South Wales!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

Sheep were transported in cattle vans, even though they were difficult to stack...

One of my friends got all offended after he told me that he'd seen a whole field full of cows with no udders and I said it was a load of bullocks.

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Sheep were transported in cattle vans, even though they were difficult to stack...

One of my friends got all offended after he told me that he'd seen a whole field full of cows with no udders and I said it was a load of bullocks.

Well, if the field was full there'd be no room for any udders.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 17

17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I was under the impression, not chemically induced I assure ewe, that as sheep have flat backs they can be easily flat packed. But perhaps that's a load of bullocks.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, if the field was full there'd be no room for any udders.

Only old udders. A lady (who I met for the first time 10 years ago yesterday) misread my email address and thoughts that was what it said!

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KNP said:

Slowly moving through the station is a loco that some might decide is a little out of area but this is LM where Rule 1 applies on a regular basis.

The 56xx hauls the livestock special fresh from the Welsh Valleys! Perhaps?

5149.jpg.4cfc05bce6ca055b46aec5dea6d99ccb.jpg 

Not all 56s were shedded in South Wales, Leamington Spa had four in 1930 and the same number in 1938 (3 of the 4 in 1938 were t

the same locos as in 1930).  Tyseley had 2 in 1930 but they had gone by 1937. 

Tony

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 15/01/2023 at 09:08, Tony Teague said:

I have, as they say, 'several' Hornby T9's and I have not experienced this problem with them - whereas I have on Schools, West Countries etc.

There was an article in Model Rail a few months ago by Chris Leigh, who was dismayed to find that his T9 (or possibly more than one) had succumbed.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KNP said:

Herd of Cows

Course I’ve heard of cows?

Are they on the mooooove?

Yes, they’ve come from…..Uddersfield!

Ah, now I'm on the horns of a dilemma. Do I steak my reputation on commenting about livestock's movements? Or do you think I'm milking the situation too much? 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, Ponthir28 said:

More likely sheep. Not sure if sheep were transported in cattle wagons or not. But something must of transported them.

I don't know about 1930s railway wagon arrangements but these days, at least some farmers' road trailers have a removable floor halfway up the side, so you can carry either cows (one 'layer') or sheep (in two, maybe even three 'layers'). For example: https://www.iwt.co.uk/products/livestock/dp/  I'd speculate the railways may have had something similar for their wagons. 

Edited by The White Rabbit
add Ifor Williams link
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Pteremy said:

There was an article in Model Rail a few months ago by Chris Leigh, who was dismayed to find that his T9 (or possibly more than one) had succumbed.

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I have had a couple of T9s crumble, including one that had seen little use from new. 

I'll brace myself for a problem!

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 14/01/2023 at 18:15, Tony Teague said:

What about the Night Ferry in SNCF blue on diversion?

Ooooo ~ a Victoria - Dover - Paris via Little Muddle on the GWR, heading for a Train Ferry in which port . . . . ? 🤔 

Genuine question: Did Train Ferry services go to somewhere in France/ anywhere from GWR territory? 

• Like 1