RMweb

Little Muddle

KNP

Following a site visit a few years ago, I suggested some food and drink at the local Truck stop. At the front of the queue, I asked our young Engineers what they wanted to drink. Various answers came back to the lady behind the counter, including "Capachino please". 

On hearing this she said straight back to the young chap "We do black, or white coffee, which do you want?".

Not sure that young  Engineer had experienced a Truck stop before . . . . .or since 😂

Edited by Fishplate
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dragonboy said:

I’d be happier with todays coffee to get one that’s hot and not served tepid

Can't serve it hot these days; Elf n Safety, you might burn yourself.  Can't be too careful...  😥

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Can't serve it hot in case you scald yourself and sue them.

Also as has been mentioned, coffee is too complicated now.

You're paying for words, the more words involved in your coffee order, the more it costs. 

We have a rule of thumb that says coffee is a pound per word.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

You can order your coffee "extra hot" at most coffee bars which solves the tepid problem. If you are a regular in a coffee bar taking a tepid version back with a complaint that it is nearly cold a few times soon means they do their best to serve it at boiling point.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

In London caffs, years ago, the usual order was "tea and two" (tea and two slices of bread and butter/marg). I remember it in a slightly tongue twisting rhyme:

"Tea and two"
it is for me
when two for tea
sweet tea but twice
"two slices please for me
and tea" to be precise,
"the same for you?"
"two tea and two" it is.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

44 minutes ago, KNP said:

Boat and davits to add to portside stern by wheel.

She'd be the only barge to have her boat on port in the last 150 years if so...

1870s

The-plans-of-a-spritsail-barge-built-on-

1900s

l2708_003.jpg

1930s

cargo-boats.jpg?s=2048x2048&w=gi&k=20&c=

(the most relevant, so we get the most references 😆)

...2019... :)

D9qyBX_XsAAUfk0.jpg

Blue Mermaid, a brand new engineless sailing barge now fully certified to carry cargo commercially to enhance her important youth development work

Hard to be anything more than 'unusual' with boats in general, but I fear carrying her boat on port would be plain wrong.

As for topsails, it'd be a shame not to have it rigged. Frequently absent on river barges, but universal on coasting barges - it's an essential tool, often the first sail up* and last one down, big enough to provide drive above crowed docks or tree-lined waterways to shift 150 ton of barge and cargo - of the sort that would have made it round the Land into the Bristol Channel and up to Little Muddle. I know you know, but it's an excuse for some more nice pics :)

thames-barges-on-river.jpg?s=2048x2048&w

a-thames-sailing-barge-in-the-royal-albe

thames-sailing-barge-snape-suffolk.jpg?s

*First sail getting under way? Topsail. First line of the topsail set? Sheet. Blows my West Country mind!

All else sounds spot-on, as per, and tbh the rubbing strake looks perfect as-is!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, Schooner said:

She'd be the only barge to have her boat on port in the last 150 years if so...

1870s

The-plans-of-a-spritsail-barge-built-on-

1900s

l2708_003.jpg

1930s

cargo-boats.jpg?s=2048x2048&w=gi&k=20&c=

(the most relevant, so we get the most references 😆)

...2019... :)

D9qyBX_XsAAUfk0.jpg

Blue Mermaid, a brand new engineless sailing barge now fully certified to carry cargo commercially to enhance her important youth development work

Hard to be anything more than 'unusual' with boats in general, but I fear carrying her boat on port would be plain wrong.

As for topsails, it'd be a shame not to have it rigged. Frequently absent on river barges, but universal on coasting barges - it's an essential tool, often the first sail up* and last one down, big enough to provide drive above crowed docks or tree-lined waterways to shift 150 ton of barge and cargo - of the sort that would have made it round the Land into the Bristol Channel and up to Little Muddle. I know you know, but it's an excuse for some more nice pics :)

thames-barges-on-river.jpg?s=2048x2048&w

a-thames-sailing-barge-in-the-royal-albe

thames-sailing-barge-snape-suffolk.jpg?s

*First sail getting under way? Topsail. First line of the topsail set? Sheet. Blows my West Country mind!

All else sounds spot-on, as per, and tbh the rubbing strake looks perfect as-is!

Thanks.

It would be as I meant Starboard!!!!

Blame old age….

• Friendly/supportive 4

De nada, it's such a sharp little model it's be a real shame for something like that to sneak in. It wouldn't matter at all, but would jar I think, and would probably be quite hard to identify why!

In other news, if you felt like putting together a little tutorial on how you did those sails it'd be much appreciated. Picked up a little something yesterday which could do with a little back-dating, and the re-rigging of staysail and leg'o'mutton mizzen would be just the thing...

20230330_163632.jpg.fb0c9360de176c3bfeac

full

:)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
Just now, KNP said:

Why of course!

Little Muddle you know…..

We have our standards to maintain.

And alcohol earlier in the day was quite normal in relatively recent years. Not for nothing did buffet cars on London-bound services in the rush-hour have miniatures of spirits. And if you watch the BTF film Blue Pullman, after breakfast on the 07.45 from Manchester Central, a dowager-duchess type is enjoying a brandy. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1