Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium

Just out of curiosity, would a traction engine be loaded from the side and in steam to get onto a Crocodile?

It would be a heck of a jolt if it came from an end dock. Possibly enough to break the back of a Croc???

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Just out of curiosity, would a traction engine be loaded from the side and in steam to get onto a Crocodile?

It would be a heck of a jolt if it came from an end dock. Possibly enough to break the back of a Croc???

I think Kevin really needs to invest in a machinery wagon, I don't think a trolley is the best wagon for the job.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

If I had to guess, then I would say it was loaded from an end dock with bulks of timber stepped down to get the heavy (rear end) on first, then removed when as far back as possible. The engine would then be driven forward to push up against a  timber bulk whilst the rear wheel was wedged into place with another piece...

Edited by KNP
  • Informative/Useful 1

I seem to remember seeing a picture of a steam roller on such a wagon. But it must have had a rough shunt as it had gone forward and snapped the front forks off. They are a bit fragile on the front end!

Matt

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Now using your best David Attenborough voice or at least in your mind...

Here, the deepest, darkest parts of rural England stirs a beast rarely seen.

Hiding in the undergrowth and only coming out to feed when no one is around....

Quick, there, behind that tree over there one is stirring..

A Deanus Goodious, or more commonly known as Toofyvtreefore, approaches.

Easy recognised as it has a tender behind!

2235.jpg.703b0afdba85d91ed145829de3826d62.jpg

And yes I do take this hobby seriously...………...sometimes!!!!

• Like 14
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, KNP said:

If I had to guess, then I would say it was loaded from an end dock with bulks of timber stepped down to get the heavy (rear end) on first, then removed when as far back as possible. The engine would then be driven forward to push up against a  timber bulk whilst the rear wheel was wedged into place with another piece...

Hi,

that method seems doubtful loading a trolley wagon.  The ramps to the well are very short and steep so the jolt down would probably snap the front forks which, as didcot says, were fragile, and there doesn't look to be enough clearance for  prevent damage to the machinery on the underside of the traction engine.  Even with using wooden baulks to help loading there would still be significant jolts onto the deck, bearing in mind traction engines lacked springing. If it was loaded onto a trolley I would have thought it would have been craned into position and removed the same way.

I don't what wagons the GWR  had, but I assume they had implement and machinery wagons where loads could be driven onto them from an end-loading dock.

Roja

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Are you implying that nobody was around to take stage by stage pictures of this unusual event?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, KNP said:

Now using your best David Attenborough voice or at least in your mind...

Here, the deepest, darkest parts of rural England stirs a beast rarely seen.

Hiding in the undergrowth and only coming out to feed when no one is around....

Quick, there, behind that tree over there one is stirring..

A Deanus Goodious, or more commonly known as Toofyvtreefore, approaches.

Easy recognised as it has a tender behind!

2235.jpg.703b0afdba85d91ed145829de3826d62.jpg

And yes I do take this hobby seriously...………...sometimes!!!!

I was thinking David Bellamy...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

If you ever want to find out about anything that you make a model of, publish it on RMweb. Everything you ever wanted to know about your model will then appear in print and you can make a start on the second, completely accurate, version.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

A discussion that included the question of what GWR vehicle could be used to carry a Fowler ploughing engine, and how it would be loaded, can be found in this thread on the Scalefour webforum:

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6218

The discussion started on the subject of Carriage Loading Docks ( = End Loading Docks), and then ranged widely over the types of traffic using them, the vehicles carrying such traffic, loading methods, etc.

Unfortunately, the discussion came to no firm conclusions, but might nevertheless be of interest to readers of this blog, in light of the appearance of the very attractive Oxford model of a Fowler ploughing engine on the Little Muddle branch.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Darwinian said:

GWR wagons for carrying road vehicles were the Hydra, Loriot and Serpent varieties. 

There's a very nice brass kit from Connoisseur for the Hydra.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Crichel Down said:

A discussion that included the question of what GWR vehicle could be used to carry a Fowler ploughing engine, and how it would be loaded, can be found in this thread on the Scalefour webforum:

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6218

The discussion started on the subject of Carriage Loading Docks ( = End Loading Docks), and then ranged widely over the types of traffic using them, the vehicles carrying such traffic, loading methods, etc.

Unfortunately, the discussion came to no firm conclusions, but might nevertheless be of interest to readers of this blog, in light of the appearance of the very attractive Oxford model of a Fowler ploughing engine on the Little Muddle branch.

Many thanks.

Very useful link, especially the picture of a Fowler engine being unloaded side wards off a wagon at Carn Brea Station

The picture was taken in 1950 ish (assumed) but what worked then would most certainly work for Little Muddle in the mid 30's.

That would make a very unusual diorama!!!

• Agree 1

Back to pictures, now I have that information kindly supplied by Crichel Down I will press on add those additional chains between the wheels (as suggested by Harlequin)

2241.jpg.f9005a89eb828c2492ada70e3287dac6.jpg

2242.jpg.7806ca946f7dbfdbca7d3c707cd8912d.jpg

• Like 19