Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

Setting back is often used to describe a short unsignalled shunt move, behind the signal, against the normal direction of traffic which the Signalman authorised verbally. If there’s a Signal authorising it it’s just a normal shunt although some also use it to describe a signalled move where the front may foul an overlap or similar or it needs to move behind the signal for starting once coupled up because there wasn’t quite enough room. You often see people on models just bump the stock backwards without stopping but in reality you’d bend things and probably propel the stationary stock off uncontrolled 😉

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Did it reverse in?

possibly 

1 hour ago, KNP said:

move forward?

possibly 

1 hour ago, KNP said:

or

set back......???

possibly if it was just a short ‘adjustment’  🤣

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Answers on a postcard to........

The Signalman’s stove 😎

🌋

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
On 28/05/2022 at 12:51, Metropolitan H said:

Only if you are using the 3-rail DC current collection system. If you are using 2-rail "Forward" and "Reverse" refer to the direction of travel along the track (which ever way the loco faces). One of the reasons I like "Deliberately Old-Fashioned trains"!

Regards

Chris H

Chris  seeing as with DCC just turning a loco round on the track will not change it direction of travel  you have the same thing with modern  trains and DCC. Of course really old fashioned trains using 20v AC etc reversing was a bit more complicated. 

Don

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Donw said:

Chris  seeing as with DCC just turning a loco round on the track will not change it direction of travel  you have the same thing with modern  trains and DCC. Of course really old fashioned trains using 20v AC etc reversing was a bit more complicated. 

Don

Don,

Thats interesting. So far DCC is beyond my experience - i'm still very much a "Deliberately old fashioned type".

Regarding the 20V AC trains, recent experience of a pre 1939 Maerklin "0" gauge Pacific was enlightening - when you operated the cab control, it responded exactly as a modern 3-rail DC loco would. Otherwise, I find the application of a reasonably rated bridge rectifier to the field (or armature) circuit will ensure the loco responds as desired.

However, I do regret the lack of the fourth rail to give true verisimiltude to some of my favourite prototypes. 🙂

Regards

Chris H

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Don,

Thats interesting. So far DCC is beyond my experience - i'm still very much a "Deliberately old fashioned type".

Regarding the 20V AC trains, recent experience of a pre 1939 Maerklin "0" gauge Pacific was enlightening - when you operated the cab control, it responded exactly as a modern 3-rail DC loco would. Otherwise, I find the application of a reasonably rated bridge rectifier to the field (or armature) circuit will ensure the loco responds as desired.

However, I do regret the lack of the fourth rail to give true verisimiltude to some of my favourite prototypes. 🙂

Regards

Chris H

If I understand you right the bridge rectifier in the feed to either the field winding or the armature will work when the motor is fed DC.  Some of the old 20vac controllers went from off to max volts then down to min as you turned the knob. The sudden full volts activated the auto reverse I think . FiL did explain it somewhat as they had some in a shed when he was a boy.  

You could I suppose add a dummy fourth rail for the look of it.

Don

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 30/05/2022 at 08:22, KNP said:

Did it reverse in?

move forward?

or

set back......???

Answers on a postcard to........

Question 2: Can a train be going forward with the loco in reverse ???

asking for a friend . . . 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, KNP said:

All tucked up safely under the creamery canopy.

Even the gate has been shut to stop them bolting.....

4169.jpg.12b03dc3dff3fcb0fedff5d53cff9902.jpg

Nice to see some activity on the rail side of the dairy - a rarely photographed location and activity apparently. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

If you consider a train which tuns from say Totnes to Ashburton with the loco chimney first you would say it was going forward. If it gets to Ashburton and the loco then runs round. It now becomes a train from Ashburton to Totnes with the engine bunker first. It would be most odd to term it reversing the forward direction is appropriate when it is heading towards its destination.  

Note that with an autocoach or push pull service there is provision for the driver to go to the forward end of the train either the coach or engine so the driver would always be at the forward end.

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1