Wedmore - 7mm S&DJR might-have-been

devonseasider

In MRJ 69 way back at the start of 1994 there was an article by Trevor Gibson about his imaginary branch terminus set in Wedmore, on the edge of the Somerset levels.

It's also noted that the layout was booked to appear at the East Midlands Model Railway Exhibition at the Victoria Leisure Centre in Nottingham on 5th & 6th of March 1994.

Other than what's in the article, does anyone have any information about Trevor or the layout?

Also, can anyone throw any light on subsequent events that led to the layout being abandoned in a garage in Lyme Regis?

It was saved a couple of years ago from an ignominious end in a skip & is slowly - very slowly! - being "freshened up" in the hope that it can one day go back on the exhibition circuit.

Any information gratefully received either on this thread or by pm if that's thought more appropriate.

• Like 1

The layout was at Guildex at Telford in 2000. A simple Google search using 'Trevor Gibson Wedmore' will give plenty of hits, one of which will lead you to his blog (untouched since 2015) on his new exhibition layout 'Bridgewater S&DJR'. 

Dave

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

A bit of an update on the story of Wedmore.

After the sad death of Devonseasider, the Exeter Gauge 0 Group (ExeGOG for short) took on Wedmore.  We are continuing the "freshening up" work that Graham started, as being thirty years old, some aspects of the layout are a little "tired". 

Having said that though, it is still a basically sound and beautifully built layout;  And the first time we put the whole thing up, almost everything worked. 

Graham was a highly valued member of our Group, and we are carrying on with the layout as a tribute to him.

Occasional updates will appear on this topic, and more can be seen here:  https://www.exeter-gog.net/wedmore-layout.html

Dave.T

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wedmore will be on show at the ExeGOG Open Day/Exhibition, Saturday 17th June, Victory Hall Whimple, EX5 2TS

Full details Here  and  Here

As a quick update on Wedmore, I said in my earlier message that some aspects of it were "a little tired".  Well it turned out that those aspects were actually VERY tired!

We realised that our late friend Devonseasider hadn't actually got started on any refurbishment.  So after a lot of fiddling around and not getting very far, it was decided that a complete rewire was needed.  This was done done in time for us to show it at the Sidmouth Exhibition in March, an event that was hailed as a success for the layout, but of course raised a few issues and questions that are currently being attended to.

Cheers, Dave.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Most of the issues have now been sorted out, Wedmore is looking very fresh and running nicely.  Still some scenic refurbishment to be done (isn't there always?)

And the Exeter Gauge 0 Group show is tomorrow!  (see links in the post above)

Dave.T

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wedmore performed very well at The ExeGOG Show, there is a film of the layouts  Here  Wedmore appears at 7mins 30secs.  Not too sure what sort of operation was going on though....

I didn't take any photos myself, but several people did and I will get some on here.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nice to see this layout still exists and has been upgraded under new ownership. I remember it being shown at the GOG exhibitions at Milton Keynes or Telford.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/07/2023 at 20:07, MarcD said:

Shame it's gone a bit GWR. 

Err, yes, but as its now a club layout, it tends to feature the stock owned by whoever is running it at the time.

Its the policy of our Group not to own any rolling stock.  Stock that was with the layout was sold seperately, although our members own some of it.

Wedmore appeared at The Bridport Show yesterday, where it was much admired.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1