The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

Mmm, I'm afraid the inner cynic in me is thinking that as it is a modern single coach diesel railcar in a privatised livery, the chances of anyone on BRM having a photo must be slim to nothing. It's not green or boils water

Ta da!!

X-24 Expeditious

DSCF3374.jpg

A regular performer in the crewe to derby run so I knew I'd have a piccie somewhere!!

Y next

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3

See this topic is not only entertaining, it's educational.

My Mam was Welsh and although I heard a fair bit about Wales from Her, I never realised there was no X in the Alphabet. Although If I recall correctly there's a station name with just about every other letter in it ! :O

The Welsh alphabet also lacks the letters J and Z.  Yes, the letter J is not an official Welsh letter in spite of the name Jones being the most common Welsh surname!  The letter "J" in Jones is a corruption of the Welsh spelling "Si" which is pronounced similarly.

By way of a bit of advice.  If you are ever in Blaenau Ffestiniog and if you get asked for a bet to count up the letters in the name "Llechwedd", the name of the quarry museum in town, don't say 9.  It's actually 6, as Ll, Ch and Dd are each one letter. Together with Ff, they make up the additional letters of the Welsh alphabet!

Anyway, back to topic...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The date and location are absent as this was a scan from a negative. I suspect that the location may be Templecombe.

post-14351-0-29656600-1501262755_thumb.jpg

just for good measure

post-14351-0-65779200-1501262930_thumb.jpg

Now for Z

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

Z is for Zillertalbahn no. 2 "ZILLERTAL".

post-10122-0-66803500-1501271389_thumb.jpg

Now, can we get through the alphabet with class designations - but without duplicating any railway companies*?

*By that I mean constituent companies of British Railways, or similar national railway systems.

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 3

Just for clarity, does the class designation have to be a single letter, single letter plus numbers or can it be a name beginning with the letter of the alphabet (e.g "Aberdare" as I suspect no-one has a photo of those)?

Any of the above, so we could have a BR AL1 electric, an LNER A4 Pacific, an LBSCR A1X Terrier, a GWR Aberdare, a WAGR AA class or a South African A class (Dübs tank) - or anything other class designation starting with the letter A.

The first revenue through freight train from Adelaide to Darwin commenced its two day journey north on 15 January 2004. Photographed crossing 'Lake Knockout' on the approach to Port Augusta and paralleled by as special train hauled by Pichi Richi Railway’s narrow gauge (3’6”) former Commonwealth Railways 4-8-0 NM25 as part of the celebrations.

The freight is hauled by two of the four brand new EDI-built, EMD-powered locomotives built for the operator of the line FreightLink, FQ02/FQ01.

post-4406-0-67647100-1501307025_thumb.jpg

G next.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As it's 7 hours down the line and no one has put up the obvious here it is in this not too good picture of KX

IC125:

post-6208-0-82295500-1501344370_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-18540300-1501344643.jpg

If such a poor picture is acceptable let's go on to J

Keith

Edit don't know me alfiebet!

BTW if the livery is important it was DOR East Coast Trains

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Another I...

Rio Tinto Mines had a number of I class 0-6-0 tanks, built first by Dübs, then continued by North British.  No. 61 (Dübs 2173/1885.) is plinthed in the middle of Puente de La Almozara, Zaragoza.

post-10122-0-49571600-1501346751_thumb.jpg

On to J.

• Like 3

Sorry, but the LNER card was already played* - as well as the GWR, so we're back to J. The K1 is fine.

*If you're calling it a Great Eastern loco, it would be Y14.

Edited by EddieB