Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium

When did counties like Somerset and Dorset drop the -shire? They had it in 1884 when my gazetteer was published. Perhaps that only could be used if the photo was taken when the suffix was still in use.

In that case has anybody got anything from Haddingtonshire? :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Shall we be pedantic and go for the West Riding of Yorkshire? A signal on the Grassington Branch. I took this in the late 70's so I doubt that it is still there.

post-7024-0-88054000-1501526020_thumb.jpg

Next?

• RMweb Premium

Not a Shire county, but still a shire.

56302 crests the top of Wilpshire bank in Lancashire (just for Leopard) with 6J37 Carlisle-Crewe logs.

The down platform of Ramsgreave and Wilpshire station is just visible beyond the bridge.

post-408-0-83004100-1501536745_thumb.jpg

Any more missing shires?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

Any more missing shires?

Cheers,

Mick

As far as I'm aware, we're still missing...

Bedfordshire

Dorsetshire (ok, pushing it a bit)

Yorkshire (South)

Nottinghamshire

Shire horses

I don't know the difference between ceremonial, historic or current counties in Scotland and Wales, so probably plenty of scope there.

• RMweb Gold

South Yorkshire. created in 1974, includes Doncaster. There wasn't a South Riding division of Yorkshire previously.

As this photo pre-dates that, maybe it shouldn't count, as photos taken after Somerset & Dorset dropped the -shire suffix seem to be ruled out. If anyone has a post 1974 S Yorks photo. perhaps they could add it.

post-14351-0-24096000-1501538401_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bedfordshire

Yorkshire (South)

Nottinghamshire

Shire horses

I don't know the difference between ceremonial, historic or current counties in Scotland and Wales, so probably plenty of scope there.

I think that there are some Welsh shires still missing - unless I haven't spotted them above. Radnorshire and Flintshire are two I can think of.

If we are including places with shire in the name, there is Shirehampton in Bristol.

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Premium

Yorkshire (South)

Sheffield

post-408-0-92707200-1501539041_thumb.jpg

To all those concerned - my passport was stamped on the way in and the way out.....

Edit - beaten to it,

but here's Nottinghamshire.

post-408-0-23036300-1501539451_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

Hey, My Nan lived there (Gillingham)  her whole life and My dad grew up there.

Anymore pics ?

Cheers :)

Not really of Gillingham, but of the area around Blandford Forum where some relatives live. Are you familiar with Dorset then?

. Are you familiar with Dorset then?

Not really, I lived in Somerset as a kid and visited Dorset a few times to see My Nan, but that's about it. I don't remember much about it and haven't been back since coming to Oz 40 years ago. My dad used to spot at Gillingham station as a kid during the War years, I was just curious to see another pic of the station if you had one.

Sorry to drag this O/T chaps :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Right then, if Dorsetshire is being accepted then here's Somersetshire. As I said above, my gazetteer of 1884 show both these counties with the '-shire' suffix.

post-14351-0-80160500-1501571747_thumb.jpg

I am not aware of any other counties currently without -shire, having it back then, so Cornwall, Sussex, Norfolk etc are not included. However now we seem to have run out of shire photos, although I am puzzled why there are no Notts & Beds photos, perhaps we could go round the non-shire counties, but that's not up to me.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3

Bedfordshire

Yorkshire (South)

Nottinghamshire

Shire horses

As a point of order - South Yorkshire was covered earlier by the photo of Rotherham, post #1808, complete with obligatory(South Yorkshire PTE) bus on bridge.

post-1525-0-15580100-1501572161.jpg

• RMweb Gold

As a point of order - South Yorkshire was covered earlier by the photo of Rotherham, post #1808, complete with obligatory(South Yorkshire PTE) bus on bridge.

attachicon.gifgallery_1525_402_17359.jpg

I think that you will find that that was in the alphabetical station names game, not the shire counties one. Point of order over-ruled!

• RMweb Gold

Bedfordshire

Yorkshire (South)

Nottinghamshire

Shire horses

I don't think we've had Cardiganshire (Ceiridigion or whatever) but you'd need a pic pre-1971 when Newcastle Emlyn was closed as there are no rails in the county now OR the Teifi Valley NG running on part of the track bed