The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

SVRlad As I write this there is still about 30minute till midday GMT so there is still time for more wilderness

But as always the poster decides what is next

Thanks to all who kept my wild idea going

John

• RMweb Gold

OK I can offer Sun Chariot

post-14351-0-63244800-1504199372_thumb.jpg

Another weather type - I am not sure how many this will run to - not many I'd guess. However there's one which the recent weather in America brings to mind. (Edit - Tornado - which I have just realised is how we got into weather originally! I think we will be back to a wildcard again shortly)

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3

attachicon.gifLNER A2 462 60527 Sun Chariot Monifieth 22 8 1952.jpg

Another weather type - I am not sure how many this will run to - not many I'd guess. However there's one which the recent weather in America brings to mind. (Edit - Tornado - which I have just realised is how we got into weather originally! I think we will be back to a wildcard again shortly)

Off the top of my head how about Hurricane, Thunderer and, at a pinch, Glorious?

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifLNER A2 462 60527 Sun Chariot Monifieth 22 8 1952.jpg

Sadly don't have a picture of any of these as far as I know

45703 Thunderer

50008 Thunderer

D9020 Nimbus

And stretching it a bit

D9 Snowdon

During the 3 years I worked at Comeng we also assembled trams(light rail if you prefer) destined for Kowloon–Canton Railway in Hong Kong

These were made under subcontract to Comeng in Victoria

I found it quite amazing that we in Oz made these trams that were destined for China

attachicon.gifx_0056.jpg

Behind the tram is one of the buildings where the 25Kv electrics were Fitted out and tested

There is a traverser behind the tram & the transformer near it fed the 25Kv OH for the test track

The track the tram is on was made from about 50mm square  steel with tags welded to it & bolted to the concrete

The trams are standard gauge & the third rail is 3'6"

John

Keep the wild things coming

I believe these light rail vehicles (HK also has "trams" which are altogether different) were made in 1987.  At that time Hong Kong was still a Crown Colony and hadn't been "handed back" to the Chinese Regime (still the brutal, secretive administration that would express its true colours in Tiananmen Square two years later), so no surprise that the Crown Agencies (or whoever was responsible) searched out a reputable builder in Australia.  (They also placed a later order with Goninan).

The MTR (who took over the KCR and run metro and light rail operations) hasn't seen any necessity of replacing these vehicles, which are still in service ("your" 1043 is seen last December approaching Tuen Min in HK); or indeed pursued a policy of "Chinafication" of their wider fleet - which includes main-line diesels built in Australia in the 'sixties. Indeed, last year they received two further electric shunting locomotives from Brush - an established product - besides main-line departmental diesel locomotives from China.

post-10122-0-96733000-1504255109_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't thought of Hurricane, let alone realised there was a GW loco of that name - but here it is - although I see that there is a smaller loco of that name above, it's quite a nice photo.

post-14351-0-55121800-1504271671_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

I believe these light rail vehicles (HK also has "trams" which are altogether different) were made in 1987.  At that time Hong Kong was still a Crown Colony and hadn't been "handed back" to the Chinese Regime (still the brutal, secretive administration that would express its true colours in Tiananmen Square two years later), so no surprise that the Crown Agencies (or whoever was responsible) searched out a reputable builder in Australia.  (They also placed a later order with Goninan).

The MTR (who took over the KCR and run metro and light rail operations) hasn't seen any necessity of replacing these vehicles, which are still in service ("your" 1043 is seen last December approaching Tuen Min in HK); or indeed pursued a policy of "Chinafication" of their wider fleet - which includes main-line diesels built in Australia in the 'sixties. Indeed, last year they received two further electric shunting locomotives from Brush - an established product - besides main-line departmental diesel locomotives from China.

attachicon.gif3G5A3265.jpg

If I remember correctly it was during 1986,1987 & 1988 that I worked at Comeng

Here is another pic of "my" 1043, "your" 1043 appears to have a major rebuild around the cab, destination board & there also looks to be more equipment on the roof

post-28417-0-69620400-1504276072_thumb.jpg

It sometimes amazes me what turns up on here & I have learnt a little more about the trams light rail vehicles (sorry but they will always be trams to me) that I worked on at Comeng

Comeng was short for Commonwealth Engineering & often called as comical engineering

John

• RMweb Premium

If this subject has gone stale how about another themed selection?

Racehorses (LNER probably)

Football Clubs (ditto)

Birds, Animals, Fish?

Plants.

Celestial bodies (stop sniggering at the back!)

Aircraft.

Etc.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

If this subject has gone stale how about another themed selection?

Racehorses (LNER probably)

Football Clubs (ditto)

Birds, Animals, Fish?

Plants.

Celestial bodies (stop sniggering at the back!)

Aircraft.

Etc.

Keith

47270 Swift.

post-408-0-25170400-1504298408_thumb.jpg

Another bird next please.

Cheers,

Mick