Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

One from our home patch in Somerset, some basic post & wire with some culvert details.

attachicon.gifBT03 4917 Crosswood Hall down express nr Hbr summer 61.jpg

Phil, is it just me or are the 4th and 5th coaches along ex-LNER Gresley ones? I know about the famous one that was in use until 1977 but didn't know of any before that.

Sorry to go O/T folks.

I think 1V38 was a Newcastle  Paignton so would very probably have a mix of Gresley, Thompson and Mk1 stock. There was quite a lot of it running to the West country in those days. That year I travelled home on the Ilfracombe/Minehead - Wolverhampton service which had Gresley stock complete with LNER carpets in the 1st Class in the Minehead portion.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A few from the States...

post-6831-0-38470700-1505568470_thumb.jpg

A lack of line side fencing, but we still have the old telegraph poles... On the line between Grand Canyon and Williams AZ

post-6831-0-52177400-1505568572_thumb.jpg

Another inventive use of old rail for making fences - Williams AZ

post-6831-0-88646200-1505568699_thumb.jpg

Lightweight fencing in the Arizona desert - BNSF ES44C4 #8156 heads a west-bound freight towards Kingman.

• Like 2

31316 passes Burton Lane junction (York) with a Scarborough bound passenger service on the morning of 25 May 1981. To the left are the tracks to Foss Island Goods and the Rowntree Works, still in use at the time. Note the un-fenced allotments and how close they are to the running lines (click on pic for larger view).

post-4406-0-39072800-1505573929_thumb.jpg

Edited by bingley hall
  • Like 3

31316 passes Burton Lane junction (York) with a Scarborough bound passenger service on the morning of 25 May 1981. To the left are the tracks to Foss Island Goods and the Rowntree Works, still in use at the time. Note the un-fenced allotments and how close they are to the running lines (click on pic for larger view).

No fencing etc. but a gate to enter the allotments. Very interesting.

• RMweb Gold

No fencing etc. but a gate to enter the allotments. Very interesting.

The allotments are inside the railway boundary fence so a gate would have been needed.

Now something a bit different, sort of.  Somewhat, or very, overgrown lineside fence with a train hiding behind one view of it plus a stretch of railway with nothing but track.  A photographic expedition with no results?  No - in fact it was part of a search for somewhere to put a new station between Plean Junction and Stirling with a major problem of trying to reconcile suitable sites with suitable gradients and suitable curvature while enabling reasonable road access and land for car parking.   I notice from something I've delved out on the 'net that 7 years after the study I was involved in the idea was being discussed yet again including possible use of the site I'd suggested which had not met the earlier remit

Here you can just about see the fence amongst the dead vegetation

post-6859-0-78748700-1505575449.jpg

Whereas a short distance away it was totally overgrown

post-6859-0-76750300-1505575546_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A couple from darkest Sussex now...

post-6831-0-09924200-1505577140_thumb.jpg

post-6831-0-32755100-1505577187_thumb.jpg

A couple from the site of Hardham Junction. The old signal box was on the left-hand side of the first picture - more or less where the concrete shed is now. The Midhurst line curved away following the hedge line mid-picture on the second.

post-6831-0-23628400-1505577460_thumb.jpg

A scene along the branch line, between Petworth and Fittleworth. Had I been standing here 60 years ago, I would likely as not have been squashed by a passing C2X...

post-6831-0-87962000-1505577739_thumb.jpg

Mundanity at Eastbourne - fence, carpark, old goods shed.

• RMweb Premium

How about this modern image?

Redditch looking over the carpark to the platform.

Diagonal fencing, a bus shelter type thingy, some armco, different types of lamps, fire equipment, pay machine for parking, departure indicator on platform. OHLE etc.

Everything you need for a MI suburban terminus.

post-6208-0-29634500-1505579089_thumb.jpg

Keith

EDIT

The red thingys are marked "Dry Mixed Recycling" so not fire equipment!

An odd colour, most seem to use green for recycling.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

How about this modern image?

Redditch looking over the carpark to the platform.

Diagonal fencing, a bus shelter type thingy, some armco, different types of lamps, fire equipment, pay machine for parking, departure indicator on platform. OHLE etc.

Everything you need for a MI suburban terminus.

attachicon.gifredditch 2.jpg

Keith

Don't get much variety though on the Cross City line, with nighttime test trains (usually top-and tailed with 37s) and the very occasional charter. AFAIK 323s aren't produced by any manufacturer in any scale.

Edited by SVRlad

Some  lineside fencing from the 1980s.

post-7081-0-26392400-1505581594_thumb.jpg

Ripple Lane Yard, 31212, 31221 on oil train, yard pilot is 08958, 27/7/84

post-7081-0-01229200-1505582025_thumb.jpg

40158 heads north past York Yard North with SUKO tanks. 10/6/83

post-7081-0-37401600-1505582201_thumb.jpg

47088 Samson heads west past Maindee West Junction with tanks. 10/2/82

post-7081-0-04840200-1505582338_thumb.jpg

Seen from Victoria Park 45051 passes through the carriage wash machine on the way from Bristol Temple Meads to Malago Vale Carriage Sidings, 11/2/80

cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The only public crossing at track level on London Underground is just west of Amersham - albeit beyond the limit of electrification, but it's still TfL metals until a few hundred yeards west of this point.  Until 1994 there was another at North Weald but of course LU withdrew services Epping-Ongar in late 94.

post-11293-0-74378000-1505583498_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't get much variety though on the Cross City line, with nighttime test trains (usually top-and tailed with 37s) and the very occasional charter. AFAIK 323s aren't produced by any manufacturer in any scale.

Originally there were supposed to be more 323s coming to the Cross City to cope with all 6 car trains and the Bromsgrove electrification but it seems the new operator of the WM franchise and TfWM want to replace them with something nice shiny and new.

323s anyone?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

One from our home patch in Somerset, some basic post & wire with some culvert details.

attachicon.gifBT03 4917 Crosswood Hall down express nr Hbr summer 61.jpg

Phil, is it just me or are the 4th and 5th coaches along ex-LNER Gresley ones? I know about the famous one that was in use until 1977 but didn't know of any before that.

Sorry to go O/T folks.

I've worked out a candidate for V38 in your photo from the CWN from Robert Carroll's Yahoo Group. It looks like the 7.30am SO Newcastle - Paignton.

post-9767-0-92434700-1505585732.jpg

It appears to be the other way round but note the Pantry Second and Buffet, 4th and 5th from one end. 

Looking at the big version of the picture my take on it is Mk1x3, Gresleyx2, Thompson, Mk1, Gresley?, Mk1x2

It must have been a regular NER set during the week as it returned from Paignton to Newcastle at 10.0am on Sunday morning, picking up two more NER coaches from Newton Abbot

• RMweb Gold

Quite a range of barriers here from white 'cottage' palings to barbed wire topped security fencing.

The A259 south coast road is quite a busy road, as, although much of the through traffic goes over the fly-over at the top of the picture, the A27 feeds into it just to the right of the crossing and the Newhaven port entrance goes off to the left of picture. The latter has cross-Channel HGV traffic in and out several times a day, which mostly turns right over the crossing and on to the A27. In addition there is heavy goods traffic into various waste and recycling units and Days Aggregates rail and sea-served depot. All this must explain why the level crossing seems to need very frequent attention and regular replacement. It still gives a fairly rough ride unless taken quite slowly.

post-14351-0-42406200-1505587673_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I notice now while having read back, that I should have posted trainspotters, so here is me with a couple of others at Crewe.

post-7024-0-27659300-1505610363_thumb.jpg

Mind you, there's one of them fences as well.

Edited by 96701
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Dad, I believe, took this party probably from Ripon Grammar School on a spotting trip, around 1950

attachicon.gifTrain spotters Northallerton c1950.jpg

Interesting topic.

My school had a Trainspotters club run by one of the masters, it was started a couple of years before I left.

They organised a trip during the summer hols to do a shed bash (very much in the plural)

I went on the Manchester one and we must have done about 15 sheds in a very long day. (Permits were obtained)

They included Reddish where we were given a tour around of one of the electric locos and the chap that was guiding us showed us how the pantograph was raised & lowered etc.

Another location was the sprawling site at Gorton with works and shed. Everything there was a cop.

Most places we were allowed to just wander around for a given amount of time without supervision.

Some smaller locations only had a few locos and we were in and out in 15mins or so.

Next year was the Welsh Valleys but for some reason I couldn't go on that one. (I was a bit disappointed)

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1