Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster engine shed

12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The sharpness of detail and the quality of the plastic in the original kits are streets ahead of the current versions from the worn-out moulds.

John Isherwood.

Dapol use recycled plastic,it`s a bit softer than Kitmaster polystyrene.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, sagaguy said:

Dapol use recycled plastic,it`s a bit softer than Kitmaster polystyrene.

Ray.

Apparently so, although tbh I have not seen it stated officially, maybe somewhere on the Dapol site?

• RMweb Gold

Versatile kits, I still have one Airfix ES kit left from my very early purchases.  I do agree about painting them and getting a mortar flow.  I dismantled two sheds and used the walls and window frames on my dairy.  The canopy is also Airfix, the station canopy,re-sheeted with Wills corrugation sheets,25259892_Dairywithfence.JPG.de2ead86d3b1e33f6ea456430b70a094.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Just had a quick look round the layout and it has quite a lot of airfix/Dapol kits on it, not actually the engine shed cos I made a Metcalfe one.  Some of these were made a very long time ago to use with my Hornby Dublo 3 rail layout and survived with the H-D stuff.  Things like newsagents kiosks, station accessories like steps, trolleys and so on, passengers, signal gantry.  The later Dapol trackside workers set was good, telegraph poles useful, and the girder bridge which is quite sturdy so can be lifted off to clean the track underneath.

Wagon kits useful of course the 16 ton mineral, also the tank wagon etc.  (Parkside took over though for most goods stuff). It has lasted....

Scammell mechanical horse kit very good imho.

Edited by railroadbill

On 29/01/2021 at 18:15, boxbrownie said:

John, that’s interesting....I haven’t been looking for a while I admit, I do enjoy an old “Airfix kit” for a few hours relaxation though, take me back although I do miss the aroma of the glue from back then, bloomin’ H&S knomes! :lol:

Although the modern glues are sooooo much better. 

The old glue is handy for dismantling assembled kits. The stuff supplied with Kitmaster kits is particularly good. With care, it can be stripped back to the component parts and then reassembled properly.

Most of my 16T mineral wagons were acquired this way, though I do have some others and a couple of hybrids. (Parkside supply two different end doors which can be used with the Airfix kit for variety.)

Edited by Il Grifone

They were quite handy for adapting for kit bashing.

Had one to hand, without the brick finish, so not sure which make. Used it as the centre section, along with Wills sheets / kit, to make the Dairy Building on Brislington.

IMG_4571.jpg.2b23a6bfc7c40523da7f5e8f70e98a12.jpg

And then finished.

429667476_IMG_5078(3).jpg.47a337fc758f3607163841762a1c0a33.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

7 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

engine shed or dog?

Both, but I was referring to the 'eat anything/everything' type dog. Luckily the shed and dog are far enough apart (UK and Sardinia respectively).

This is Arran today. We are not sure, but we think he is a Maremma/Caucasian cross. For size, he is still a puppy (about 10 months) and the tiies he is sitting on are 40cm. x 40cm.. It's now time for his evening walk.

20210201_130211.jpg.7c3475af892548dcccec15f3b4b6c240.jpg

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DKGL said:

They were quite handy for adapting for kit bashing.

Had one to hand, without the brick finish, so not sure which make. Used it as the centre section, along with Wills sheets / kit, to make the Dairy Building on Brislington.

IMG_4571.jpg.2b23a6bfc7c40523da7f5e8f70e98a12.jpg

And then finished.

429667476_IMG_5078(3).jpg.47a337fc758f3607163841762a1c0a33.jpg

Ooo I have to make a milk dock building for a corner of my layout, that’s given me some inspiration and ideas, thanks :good:

• Agree 1