Midland in London (or is it Birmingham?)

Tricky

I've just discovered this thread and I must say what a cracking job you've made, buildings look especially life like with the painting/weathering, you must have a good eye sir. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Guy

Pedants hat on now, equine version of a rivet counter coming up, the horse harness is missing a 'back chain' - a flat  link (curb) chain connected to the shaft staple - over the cart saddle - and to the other shaft staple. Other wise it's a very nice portrayal of a Midland Railway Lurry  (not lorry). 19th / 20th century trade vehicles had to have the name and address of the owner or responsible person displayed on them by law, in the case of railway owned vehicles this was the chief goods agent or similar. An early form of vehicle reg. number in case of accident/incident.  

Best Wishes

Guy

Hi Guy,

Ooh err... do you mean a chain going over the horse side to side connecting the shafts? With your reference to name and address, my photos of these vehicles only seem to show the lettering I have done...?

Cheers, Richard

Yes Richard, the chain goes over the pad like thing where a saddle would be on a riding horse, it takes the weight of the shafts (especially two wheeled carts) and also anyone standing on the shafts to get on the lurry. With regards to the name and address this was usually quite small and sign written or an enamelled/brass plate etc. I must say the model horse is the best I've seen in a long time, quiet often these look like escapees from a childes farm set.

Guy

Great work Tricky. Brilliant signal with 'stays', brickwork, stonework etc, and little building is exquisite(maybe a thin paper overlay on door to give it some extra relief?) Paintwork on brickwork is quite special.

Can't quite get my head around 'geography' of that left hand corner, does street disappearing into distance cut straight across lines entering tunnel?

Can't wait to see how you tackle the other buildings.

Jusf brilliant

Les

PS.just rename it Midland Memories then it can be anywhere you choose!

Edited by Les Johnson

Hi Les, thanks for your encouraging comments....the road to the left is a little bit of fun trickery really; it has a mirror at the back to give the illusion of it continuing and giving artificial depth. Of course real life is suspended here with the route of the railway, as happens in quite a lot of places on this very minimal layout. If you read earlier in the posting, it's more of a series of views than a slavishly followed prototype... far from it...!

By the way, if anyone is vaguely interested, the signal post stays are cotton thread which runs through tubing in the 'ground' and has little weights suspended underneath so they stay taught. There's nothing less convincing than saggy stays...!

A productive day at Monk's Gate. A good start made on the row of structures to represent a cameo of loading/unloading facilities, offices and warehouse. I cut away the backscene behind the middle section of awnings and made a deeper section to give more depth to the loading bay. This is painted black along with the areas behind the buildings. Window blanks are cut for all the windows and will have glazing bars fitted. Next is to cover with Das ready for brick-scribing. The missing section at the top of the left hand building is awaiting a decorative carved 'MR' panel...hopefully.

post-31608-0-48047000-1495039480_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Are you going to carve the 'MR' by hand? in relief would probably be prototypical. Well proportioned building group - following with interest.

Best

Guy

Hi Guy, yes, it was my intention to have a go at carving it in relief as per a picture I found on line somewhere. Here is a photo of the result. A cruel enlargement as they say...!

Richard

post-31608-0-04771900-1495126030_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Excellent! I particularly like the entwined "M & R", very effective and atmospheric. The round wall tie plates are also a very nice touch.

Looking forward to the next update:-)

Dave

Thanks Dave, I had a few attempts at the wall plates but in the end cut down the ends of some Slaters barrels, and added the centre bolt detail. Those on the warehouse are again Slaters from their buffer housing moulding. I am in the middle of making some crates and other random boxes and general goods to clutter the loading bay.

Richard