Midland in London (or is it Birmingham?)

Tricky

• RMweb Premium

It is not often that I see modelling that makes me think "I wish I could produce something like that" but watching the work progress on this layout has done it!

I am shortly embarking on a 7mm layout for the first time and have been struck by how many layouts are let down by the scenic work in this scale. So I am playing particular attention to those few that get it "spot on" in that department and I am finding this thread highly inspirational.

Many thanks for posting.

Tony

• Like 1

It is not often that I see modelling that makes me think "I wish I could produce something like that" but watching the work progress on this layout has done it!

I am shortly embarking on a 7mm layout for the first time and have been struck by how many layouts are let down by the scenic work in this scale. So I am playing particular attention to those few that get it "spot on" in that department and I am finding this thread highly inspirational.

Many thanks for posting.

Tony

Cheers Tony, thanks for the encouragement, look forward to seeing how you get on. Always glad to share the hints and tips I have picked up over the years.

Richard

I've had a great day at Monk's Gate today, mostly making various crates, boxes, and a few sacks. Oh, and a suspicious looking crate with straw sticking out of it...I imagine some piece of garden statuary inside...

I reckon I'm about a third of the way there with the amount of crates etc required but it's these details that really make it come alive. If anyone knows a good source of figures to populate a scene such as this, I would be very interested.

Cheers, Richard

Hi Richard...

Stunning modelling....every one of those images would stand proud in the How Realistic thread.

Randall

Hi Compound2632, I agree about the Essery interpretation which I find too garish. Having re-read Midland Style I see you are quite correct about the use of Venetian red not crimson lake for the framing, but it's too late to change it now....! Oh well.

I agree that the Essery interpretation is too bright for a description of "Banana" Yellow. I've always thought Humbrol No 24 (for fresh paint) let down with No 103 as it weathers. Essery's interpretation has too much blue in the mix.

So, over the past few days I have been working on a structure (of unknown usage...!) to fill in the awkward gap to the left of the office building. I think this gives the area a bit of interest and visual depth.

post-31608-0-31718000-1496517206_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-04155200-1496517221_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

So, over the past few days I have been working on a structure (of unknown usage...!) to fill in the awkward gap to the left of the office building. I think this gives the area a bit of interest and visual depth.

Based loosely on Walworth Road Coal Depot, see Midland Record No 14.

• RMweb Premium

I've also had a go at hand-lettering a wagon...

... this one! Did you use any techniques other hand a steady hand and infinite patience? I tried years ago starting from a white-painted base, building up the body colour and shading using a Rotring pen.

Thanks mullie, how did you do that...??!!

I work on a Macbook, simply downloaded and rotated them, re uploaded them. Whatever program you are using to organise your photos should enable you to rotate your photos. (I also work on PCs when at work- it's easy on those too). What program are you using to process your photos?

I work on a Macbook, simply downloaded and rotated them, re uploaded them. Whatever program you are using to organise your photos should enable you to rotate your photos. (I also work on PCs when at work- it's easy on those too). What program are you using to process your photos?

I take all my photos on my iPhone and post on my phone too. It's highly likely I'm missing something but it looks like the ability to organise photos in this format is very limited. I am, of course, only too willing to be pointed in the right direction...!

• RMweb Gold

Its strange that since the latest rm web software update pictures posted direct from my Android phone appear upside down. A simple fix i have found is to open them in the photo editing app then save them. Don't need to actually do anything to the pictures, just open and save. Maybe worth a try?

My android phone has Google drive on it so any photos I take get dumped into the drive which then synchronises over the internet with the Google drive folder on the Macbook. Once on the laptop anything can be done with them. Might sound complicated but is in fact very easy.  All photos whether taken with camera or phone end up in one place, much easier to judge the quality of photos on the laptop and most in fact get deleted as I don't want to spend the time editing heavily. Hope this helps.

Martyn

... this one! Did you use any techniques other hand a steady hand and infinite patience? I tried years ago starting from a white-painted base, building up the body colour and shading using a Rotring pen.

Yep, that's the one! I set the lettering out by drawing the wagon side and lettering to scale which I then used as a template. I made a simple model rest which means I can hold the wagon captive and use a square to draw in all upright strokes. The photo below shows the rest and also white and black pens I found in the local art shop. After painting the main body colour, I draw the white in first, having done all the uprights with a square, the remainder is put in free-hand. After that, the black shading is put in. Then follows touching up with white, black and the wagon body colour until I'm happy. Some judicious weathering will cover some of the dodgy bits! I'm quite happy with it as a first excercise. Hope that helps.

post-31608-0-20827500-1496600234_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yep, that's the one! I set the lettering out by drawing the wagon side and lettering to scale which I then used as a template. I made a simple model rest which means I can hold the wagon captive and use a square to draw in all upright strokes. The photo below shows the rest and also white and black pens I found in the local art shop. After painting the main body colour, I draw the white in first, having done all the uprights with a square, the remainder is put in free-hand. After that, the black shading is put in. Then follows touching up with white, black and the wagon body colour until I'm happy. Some judicious weathering will cover some of the dodgy bits! I'm quite happy with it as a first excercise. Hope that helps.

The white marker pen seems to be this one. Claims to be high opacity, which since you've used it successfully on a red wagon must be true. I note it states "waterproof when dry but can be cleaned off non-porous surfaces, using commonly-available surface cleaners" - have you sealed the finish with varnish? Also, the one I'm looking at is quite chunky - 6 mm chisel nib - challenging in 7 mm let alone 4 mm scale - unless you've got one with a finer nib?

Yes, they are the same make. Mine claim to be 0.5mm but in truth draw a bit fatter than that. You can get close to 0.5mm with a very light touch. They cover reasonably well but sometimes need going over again. I don't bother with varnish, but will gently weather over and allow handling etc to mellow. They seem quite durable without it.

Looks like the goods depot has taken delivery of some interesting items: Booth's finest Dry Gin, Hall's Coca Wine (a marvellous restorative, owing to its main ingredient of cocain) and last but not least Cocaine Toothache Drops. All genuine Victorian/Edwardian commodities...!

post-31608-0-16965500-1496867203_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-57757100-1496867230_thumb.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1