Midland in London (or is it Birmingham?)

Tricky

Good grief, those are amazing.

Care to explain how it was done?

Well....first I prepped the 'crates', these are little blocks of maple. I am fortunate in having a reasonably well-equipped woodworking workshop so I am able to produce these fairly accurately (+/- 0.25mm). I am also fortunate in having access to AutoCAD which I use to design and produce the text to scale. I guess you could use Word but I prefer AutoCAD. Once the artwork is done, print it back to front onto ordinary paper but you MUST use a laser printer not an inkjet. Then cut the artwork into individual pieces, lay onto the face of the maple block face down and apply nail varnish remover with a cotton bud. Whilst wet, immediately press down hard with a thumb or finger, remove the paper and the ink has magically transferred itself onto the wood, and hey presto! Hours of fun!

Richard

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have just found this thread and have to say the quality of the modelling is superb. It is particularly interesting to me as we are attempting a house downsize move currently and I was a little concerned about my reduced modelling space.

Seeing what you are achieving in your available space has put those concerns to rest, if I could equal a mere smidgen of this quality I would be a happy chap.

John

I have just found this thread and have to say the quality of the modelling is superb. It is particularly interesting to me as we are attempting a house downsize move currently and I was a little concerned about my reduced modelling space.

Seeing what you are achieving in your available space has put those concerns to rest, if I could equal a mere smidgen of this quality I would be a happy chap.

John

Hi John,

Thank you for your kind comments. To be honest, I have surprised myself as to what is possible to achieve in about 8' x 18". I think a couple of things I have learnt as I have gone along are that planning the main structures is important with card mock-ups as it quickly became apparent that some of my original intentions would have been too busy and over-crowded. Having said that, I don't think I set out with a clear intention of every detail from the start, it has evolved as it's gone along. In fact there are still a few areas where I'm still not sure what will happen, and I will await either an idea or come across suitable prototype photos which might inspire me. Don't be fooled by draft plans looking sparse on paper. The interest is held by the detail to scenes within the overall. The scale of buildings is also intentionally reduced, if you were to scale them against prototype comparisons they would look dwarfed but in this setting I think look ok. The other thing is to not take second best. If you're not happy with something, do it again. Taking photos of your work as it progresses is vital, as the naked eye seems to make allowances whereas photos don't lie and cruel enlargements hide nothing!

ATB, Richard

• Like 2

I've done a bit of work on the walls at the end of the loco road which will represent the entrance to the yard. The walls are laminated mount board, glued into the curve. The first photo shows the component parts of the walls and the coping stones to go on the top of the wall. So here we have a straight length of wood (maple) planed to profile with 2 chamfered edges. The ring is turned to the same profile and will be cut into a small section to go round the curved bit of wall. The 5 blocks are the coping stones to cap the piers and have had 4 chamfers cut on each edge. The next photo shows them cut and glued onto the wall. The third photo is of the parts glued onto the other section of wall but I will have to wait for these to go off before fitting the last piece. The last photo is of the component parts to form a low row of stones with a curved right hand end which will go in front of the wall and which will have railings put around on top. These sections just have a simple rounded top.

post-31608-0-65393300-1497036513_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-49591500-1497036545_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-11935200-1497036576_thumb.jpg

post-31608-0-12616000-1497036607_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 6

Thanks for the explanation of the lettering...but I have one question:

How did you KNOW that would work?

My son, who is training to be an architect, introduced me to the technique as he was using it to produce some artwork for his portfolio. His was slightly larger of course but he was transferring text onto a book cover and it gave a beautiful 'faded' look. I did try hand-lettering some crates but it didn't look consistent enough, so it occurred to me to try this out.

Hope that helps...!

Goodness, neglect to view this topic for a few days and all manner of wonderful things appear - buildings, wagons and boxes - truly outstanding stuff.  Very clever, very skilful, these are modelling techniques to admire, but the effect is very special.  A wonderfully realistic and natural look.

A real pleasure catching up.

Something to aspire to!

• RMweb Gold

Splendid stuff,Tricky.

Tremendously atmospheric inspirational modelling.

Dare I say it, a 7mm Farthing...

Rob.

Splendid stuff,Tricky.

Tremendously atmospheric inspirational modelling.

Dare I say it, a 7mm Farthing...

Rob.

I have to confess there are some very similar-looking tea chests in the Farthing goods shed, so many thanks for the inspiration Mikkel!!

• Like 2

Can old 'os be trusted not to wander off while his driver is in the office sorting paperwork out?

No, Ned's very well behaved and has been at this game for years so he knows the drill. Frank will be out soon to lead away. Out of shot a dog is trying to cause a bit of grief but Ned's not phased by that either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Out of shot a dog is trying to cause a bit of grief but Ned's not phased by that either.

That would explain the pricked ears? Beautiful modelling as ever.

A prototype question: where did the driver sit? On a convenient hamper or crate? What about once everything had been unloaded?

That would explain the pricked ears? Beautiful modelling as ever.

A prototype question: where did the driver sit? On a convenient hamper or crate? What about once everything had been unloaded?

Hmm. I wasn't sure either. Some photos I've seen show a slight variation on style of dray with a seat. Frank will be shown standing by and holding the reins, thereby fudging the issue...

• RMweb Gold

Oh that's beautiful work. Those textures look so right.

A prototype question: where did the driver sit? On a convenient hamper or crate? What about once everything had been unloaded

From what I've seen in period photos, if the vehicle in question did not have a seat or a bench, then the drivers would often sit on the front left hand side. Have a look here for example, a little way in:

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 3

An interesting little snippet I picked up some years ago whilst standing starring at various waggons and carts in a museum was that the reason we have a dashboard in a car is because the board at the front of a cart to protect the driver from the spatter from the horses hooves was called a dashboard because the spatter was known as "Dash".

Apologies if everybody knew that, and I was the only one who didn't

Edited by John Rich
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

From what I've seen in period photos, if the vehicle in question did not have a seat or a bench, then the drivers would often sit on the front left hand side. Have a look here for example, a little way in:

Or as seen with the cart loaded with barrels, if there's nowhere at all to sit just walk along beside it.

• RMweb Premium

What a superb bit of film that is. All those carts, lurries, drays (or whatever they are) and their loads crying out to be modelled! Many thanks for posting.

• Like 2

https://youtu.be/kpWbp4kx7uQ

What a fascinating video- thank you for sharing.

Richard

• Like 1