Fairburn Cl. 4 in late LMS with BR number?

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know of a photo of a Fairburn tank in the late block style LMS lettering but re-numbered with early (large?) BR number or an 'M' prefix please?  Any pointers gratefully received, a number if not a photo would help.

• RMweb Premium

This is the nearest I can find; not quite what you asked for. Its from 'An Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives Vol 5'. There is also a photo og M2194, but again with BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering.

fowler12.jpg

Thanks - I had found another with full lettering but a 5 digit number.  Might have to settle for the M prefix one you've unearthed, thanks.

Alternatively, and on the basis on no evidence to confound it, pick one at random and letter it LMS + 4xxxxx number. In real life, the renumbering was undertaken on an "as available" basis, similarly the replacement of the company initials, but on a lower priority. Apart from the realities of running a railway, where everything could not be reliveried overnight, there was not the same rush to expunge the old company branding the way there is these days.

Jim

Or as another alternative, the British Railway Pictorial title Scottish Region 1948-1967 by Brian J. Dickson [ian Allan 2006] has a nice photie of a nearly new 2190 at Greenock on 18 April 1949 in what appears to be unlined black with nothing at all on the side tank to denote ownership.

Locomotives Illustrated #47 "The LMS 2-6-4Ts" has a picture of 42257 with its BR number on the bunker and the smokebox numberplate, and "LMS" on the tankside, leaving Marylebone in May 1949. Caption says it was allocated to Plaistow and was being tried out on suburban service from Marylebone.

(Edit - that issue of "Locomotives Illustrated" also has a copy of the picture of 2190 at Greenock Princes Pier with its LMS number, but no markings to show ownership, mentioned by "Caledonian" in post#5 above.)

• RMweb Premium

That's great information, thanks for your research.  I don't have that volume, so thanks for your PM too.

I wonder if that was where I originally saw it, I'm sure I had a memory of seeing such a photo but a lot of my stuff got mysteriously 'lost' after a year in storage when we moved over here. Not just books either.... :triniti:

RMWeb, what a great resource!  The interweb hadn't produced a photo so I was wondering if I would ever find one! Thanks again!

According to Illustrated History LMS Locomotives Vol Five

The ones that carried LMS in block 1946 livery were 2273 - 2299 and 2187 - 2189.

The next batch is where it gets complicated. Numbers 42190 - 42199.

No 42190 of this first BR batch came into traffic as LMS 2190 in the 1946 livery quoted. The rest of this group had experimental BR styles.

It goes on to say

The first came out in full LMS 1946 style, though there is some doubt whether LMS was applied; it was certainly running without ownership identity soon thereafter; but still as 2190. It was followed by a few more, still unlined black, carrying M prefix to the number and BRITISH RAILWAYS in full - certainly up to 2194. The final group had the proper numbers attached but were otherwise as the M prefix series.

.....the running numbers were rendered in a sort of "thinned down" rendition of the proper LMS 1946 style and probably used the same straw coloured paint but without the maroon edging to the characters. It is likely that some early BR repaints were similar.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

'Locomotive Liveries of the LMS' by Jenkinson on page 114 says, "2243 was an interesting oddity in getting a BR numberplate 42243 but retaining full LMS livery".

Hope that might help?

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

pH has now sent the photo which confirms 42257 in LMS block lettering with BR numbers and front numberplate, May 1949 - exactly what I was after.  We can't share the photo here for copyright reasons of course, but it is confirmed.

Thanks again pH!

Archived