Why is sound so expensive?

cal.n

I think Charlie's just proved that the way to make a small fortune from model railways is to start with a large fortune!

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

That's not quite true, but it is hard work!!  What I get in this job is Fun, Enjoyment, Meeting you lot and putting up with Biff moaning.  ALL the time.  

Not everyone can do a job they really enjoy, but I have done this now for 30 Years.  

Charlie

Their is a difference. The free UK sounds offered by ESU via their website are not the same as ones offered by UK retailers. Big big difference. But a good way of playing for free if you have a Lok programmer.

I understand that the plan from ESU is to upgrade the UK sounds inline with the current quality that the US has. The recordings will incorporating the latest upgrades that the chips will allow. Based on the supply of sounds from the preserved locos we shouldn't notice any difference.

Every Christmas, toy train sets usually from off shore suppliers and battery operated are advertised quite cheaply with sounds.  Perhaps they may not be as fancy as deemed necessary by the scale oriented market, but sound need not be expensive if it is to sell this type of set.  So what makes all the difference and is it worth it?

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Will be interesting to see what happens later this year when the TTS chips become available stand alone. If they are a success ( which i think they will be ) then Hornby may broaden the range and people like me who to be frank are more than happy if it sounds about right or somewhere close may chose them over higher fidelity but more expensive alternatives.

It's a personal choice but it depends how seriously you take playing trains and how much you like to have fun when you do it.

Chris

Hornby TTS is good but it isnt a patch on a quality project on a Loksound or a Zimo. There is also the problem that TTS isnt entirely NMRA compliant which can have unexpected results (certainly when using NCE powercab in my experience). And you can't adjust start voltage which is factory set for the comparatively light ex Lima models (for the diesels) - so smooth low speed control when installed in Bachmann models is difficult to achieve. I'd rather have one decent Biffo chip than 2 or 3 TTS diesels, TTS steam sound isnt even worth considering imho.

I understand that the plan from ESU is to upgrade the UK sounds inline with the current quality that the US has. The recordings will incorporating the latest upgrades that the chips will allow. Based on the supply of sounds from the preserved locos we shouldn't notice any difference.

I will be very surprised if that happens.

Every Christmas, toy train sets usually from off shore suppliers and battery operated are advertised quite cheaply with sounds.  Perhaps they may not be as fancy as deemed necessary by the scale oriented market, but sound need not be expensive if it is to sell this type of set.  So what makes all the difference and is it worth it?

Brian.

Plenty of examples on You Tube these days Brian. You decide.

For me, as a purely personal observation, the latest generation of sound chips make you "drive" a loco/unit in the way it is done in real life (or flipping close) and the programme reacts much more realistically to what is actually going on, or, conversely, you can make the sounds do what you would like them to do (in rev up/ rev down, fade out / fade in on the move) to suit the constraints of your layout. You cannot do these things with cheapo versions, or those normally provided in factory versions.

The next big step involves the sound reproduction through the speakers. Despite the use of bass reflex jobbies, many complain that the bass elements of (particularly diesel)sounds are lacking and sounds are generally a bit tinny. As one gets older, this becomes more of a problem. Charlie's "Earthmovers" (which are a new type of speaker and not a marital aid, AFAIK, although......) are the next generation, but require more skill to install, in many cases.

Hornby TTS is good but it isnt a patch on a quality project on a Loksound or a Zimo. There is also the problem that TTS isnt entirely NMRA compliant which can have unexpected results (certainly when using NCE powercab in my experience). And you can't adjust start voltage which is factory set for the comparatively light ex Lima models (for the diesels) - so smooth low speed control when installed in Bachmann models is difficult to achieve. I'd rather have one decent Biffo chip than 2 or 3 TTS diesels, TTS steam sound isnt even worth considering imho.

Hi Mike, I bought the 4f tts and was given the a4 Gadwall. Both are tts steam and I am very happy with them and they enhance my enjoyment of the hobby greatly. I appreciate that the loksound and zimo are accepted as higher fidelity and i will leave it to people to decide how to spend their own money. The good thing is that very shortly there will be an option for those of us with fewer pennies to splash out. I think they will also play a very important part in attracting new people into the hobby or creating new adopters of dcc. I think it is very important that if we are not to dissuade people that we do not rubbish cheaper solutions if we are in the fortunate position to be able to afford more expensive options. Time and sales figures will tell with TTS. Biffo etc should not loose any sleep because I think you have two entirely different markets in the same hobby and they can co-exist without the need to get into any arguments about whether low price generic is more attractive / better value than high price chips which can play 12 very accurate sounds at the same time and have been put together by professional sound producers or similar.

I will be in my loft wearing a driver's hat and enjoying the chuff chuff, woo wooo of TTS...yes i really will. They make me and my kids smile and to me that's priceless.

best Regards

Chris

Now what is the current minimum wage!!!      Not quite as straight forward as some make it seem.   I suggest YOU have a go your self, not a way to millions ££££££££.

Charlie

Sorry if I came across a little ignorant, I was never suggesting you made huge profits on them.

Mike, its been a while since my first Lionel sound loco.  Pretty primitive then, switch on - engine starts, generic noise, advance the throttle, engine moves with appropriate sound.  Since then more bells and whistle have been added, sounds specific to the prototype and in this case, uncoupling sounds when activated.  The actual throttle controls acceleration/deceleration sounds coordinated with speed settings.  I would assume this is somewhat similar.  Sound is in almost all locos these days, but running more than one or two, it gets a bit noisy although the larger speakers allow for better sound.

Brian.

It is an interesting topic this one. Sound decoders have been quite popular in the states for a bit longer than in Britain and I think the current variety of decoders is larger. While I haven't done any sort of scientific study, it seems that, at least from my view, both "ends" of the quality/price spectrum has expanded. The ESU sound decoders are leaps and bounds ahead what was available back then. Their price reflects that. I would, however, hasten to add that the price is somewhat higher than the higher end decoders "back then." On the other end, we have Bachmann's "Sound Value" (which is probably similar to Hornby's TTS) and the various Digitrax sound decoders which can be had for around $45 - $60 depending on the model. It appears that this increase in choices - high end or low end - has actually accelerated the use of sound. Perhaps its because the lower price units are a way to "test drive" sound. Those that are happy can get relatively inexpensive sound, while those that get "hooked" can go to the higher priced units. My guess is, looking at the evolution of DCC coders on your end of the Atlantic, the sound market where y'all are will diversify its offerings bringing more variety both in quality and price.

Archived