What is this LMS 0-6-0?

Wolseley

I was checking out what the latest items on eBay were and I noticed a rather unusual and crudely made LMS 0-6-0.  I haven't seen anything quite like it before.  The vendor calls it Hornby Dublo, which it obviously isn't.  My first thoughts were Essar, but it looks a bit too crude and toylike to be by them.  Does anyone on here know what it is?

post-30099-0-99473300-1491996137_thumb.jpg

post-30099-0-25884800-1491996157_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-Dublo-Rare-diecast-OO-gauge-model-LMS-Jinty-7118/262932657157?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D43267%26meid%3Db7f5f7ed38aa4e5eaaa70b64a4ec65df%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D7%26sd%3D262932657157

Judging from the cab roof and chassis I think its a budgie toy, which seems to have been motorised by modifying the original chassis to accept new wheels and a motor, it seems to have kept the original toy's coupling rods though.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjsqtCe6Z7TAhWGWxQKHTtvDHcQjhwIBQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8zc8mC5AMuY&psig=AFQjCNHB3qZhlIKqeVxpXNoSM_UFYGJbMg&ust=1492082853085459

I would say it's a Budgie as well, it even has the raised plate on the tank side, where the letters have been filed off.  There were several different British versions of the castings over a very long period, still made in Hong Kong for the knick knack tourist market.

There are high and low cab versions, split bodies and solid bodies, with British Railways cast on, or on a plate surround, and the wheels vary a lot. Often turned into working examples by modellers on a budget. The scale is about 4mm or approaching half way to HO.

Stephen

As stated there are several versions of the Budgie model, usually bright red, but other colours exist.  Earlier ones have the lettering embossed and later ones a raised plate with the lettering applied using a printed sticker (like the one here, though the sticker has been replaced with transfers). It's supposed to be an LMS 3F and has the number (7118) carried when built. They were renumbered later, so the combination of this number and 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' is incorrect. I'm being rather pedantic here seeing the inaccuracy and crudeness of the rest of it. I wouldn't know about scale, as I have never measured one (not considering it worth the trouble), but the gauge is less than 00.

This is the first time I've seen one motorised. I wouldn't have thought it worthwhile seeing the easy and cheap availability of the Tri-ang model, which is far superior (as long as you don't have one of the acetate examples, which will have warped). somewhere along the line, she has lost her cab steps!

It could be worth a bid for the motor and Romford wheels.

Relatively modern Romford wheels with the nickel silver tyres.  Pity there's no indication of how it has been motorised.  All a bit strange as the cost of the wheels, motor etc. wouldn't have been much different to buying a Triang one?

I got one of those in Hattons back in the late 1970s for pennies. They had loads of them in a box in a pinkish undercoat.

The plan was to put an old Triang chassis under it, but it wasn't worth the hassle as you could get proper Triang ones second hand for just a bit more.

Probably still got it somewhere.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen Budgie Toy locos before but I hadn't thought of the Budgie Toy connection as it was motorised, although now I can see that it is obviously a later, home-made, alteration.  I did think there was something familiar about it, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Just out of curiosity I checked to see what happened, and it attracted 3 bids and sold for £9.99.  I can think of better uses for £9.99.

It would be a shame to scrap it.   Its sort of historic.  With a bit of work with a file  and the funnel drilled out it would look the part on a Hornby DubloTinplate layout,  just needs a 3 rail skate.

It would be a shame to scrap it.   Its sort of historic.  With a bit of work with a file  and the funnel drilled out it would look the part on a Hornby DubloTinplate layout,  just needs a 3 rail skate.

Really yes, but they are not very rare and the Tri-ang model is a lot better.

I'm currently restoring a body, with a chunk missing from the front buffer beam, that I acquired in a job lot. She is moulded in a strange dark red colour (which has faded). This has been corrected with black paint and she with end up in 'cycling lion' livery with a different number from (4)7606. 2mm has been removed from the top of a spare chassis and a quantity of plastic from the inside of the body to make room for the leading driving wheels. It was an early chassis with solid wheels which have been replaced with the later open spoke type and turned down to Dublo flange depth and rounded off. The wheels are all uninsulated (apart from the centre unflanged ones) so she will be fitted with 3 rail pickups and HD type couplings. The flanges are actually quite fine (0.8mm) so I have set the back to back to 14.2mm, which has cured the excessive slop. I am undecided whether to fit washers between frame and wheels, but probably won't as the wheels will have to come off again. They were new/unused and very reluctant to fit on the axles. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oops. Wrong specs.......... crescent locos have a taller cab unlike the budgie loco in the picture

Apologies gents

That must be the weird one mentioned elsewhere - The manufacturer was unknown but Crescent is an obvious candidate. They are well known for their signals, but there were quite a lot of other items in their range, including some rather oversize (1:72?) figures and farm animals. These are often sold as Britains Lilliput, but these err the other way and are slightly underscale (originally intended for Trix).

Was Crescent part of Wardie Modelmaster group?  They made the diecast single and twin track bridges, some nice but brittle spear fencing, coal staithes etc?

Garry

I believe the Mastermodels castings were made by Kemlow.

Frank

Was Crescent part of Wardie Modelmaster group?  They made the diecast single and twin track bridges, some nice but brittle spear fencing, coal staithes etc?

Garry

I don't think there was any connection. The Wardie items are rather better generally*. Our local (other times :( ) toy shop in Bristol stocked them (and Lilliput), so I had lots (pocket money prices for most of the range), but I had to go elsewhere for Crescent items (a shop next to our preferred chip shop had them in the window I recall). I always wondered why they did white signals with red striped arms - still do!

* The figures are rather poor, but there was a large range. Crescent figures are slightly larger and suffer from a prevalence of brown paint, It was the only way to get a goat however. This animal did not appear in either of the other two ranges.

Dublo only had the passengers and station staff (there were a lot more in the 0 gauge range) and Tri-ang didn't have any at all until the sixties (now quite collectible).

EDIT for missing 'striped' - it doesn't make sense without.

Archived