Kings Cross Suburbans return at NNR

colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

From the NNR website:

Suburban Launch Weekend

Saturday 15th April marks the official launch of the completion of the Suburban 4 project. The project was assisted by Heritage Lottery funding and started in 2014 with the aim of restoring the NNR's four carriage set comprising of Carriages: E46139, E48001, E43041 & E43357.

This set will be available for public travel on Saturday 15th April.

Departing Sheringham Station, Platform 2 at 15.08.

Departing Holt Station, Platform 2 at 15.57.

This set will be available for public travel on Sunday 16th April.

Departing Sheringham Station, Platform 2 at 10.10, 11.50, 13.30 & 15.08.

Departing Holt Station, Platform 2 at 10.57, 12.37, 14.17 & 15.57.

Standard travel prices apply.

The B12 is in steam this weekend, so that would make ideal traction for the set. The 4MT is also in steam and, on Sunday only, visiting Peak 45133 will be taking a turn, so something for the diesel fans too.

Now comes a bit of a moan (sorry)... last time I travelled, "feet on seats" was commonplace and parents were letting their toddlers jump up and down all over the seat cushions. I know this is hard to police, but I do hope a bit of respect is shown for the hard work in getting this set back into service.

• RMweb Gold

For those of you who can't get there

E48001 1955 third lav open

post-12721-0-70460300-1492273273_thumb.jpg

E43041 composite

post-12721-0-90216900-1492273206_thumb.jpg

W (sic) 46139 1954 third

post-12721-0-82231100-1492273060_thumb.jpg

E43357 brake third

post-12721-0-46619800-1492273132_thumb.jpg

Apologies for you having to rotate your device. They are the right way up at my end!

edit edit reloaded from my laptop so hopefully all right way up now

Looking good. Even the Aussie ones.

The B12 is in steam this weekend, so that would make ideal traction for the set. The 4MT is also in steam and, on Sunday only, visiting Peak 45133 will be taking a turn, so something for the diesel fans too.

Now comes a bit of a moan (sorry)... last time I travelled, "feet on seats" was commonplace and parents were letting their toddlers jump up and down all over the seat cushions. I know this is hard to police, but I do hope a bit of respect is shown for the hard work in getting this set back into service.

Must be a "normal for Norfolk" thing. ;)

People have been a bit more civilised when I've travelled on the ones in North Wales. Any gala that they are running at it's always one of my priorities to try and get a ride in them.

Jason

And I believe are for sale again by the Epping Onger Railway....

Andy G

Excellent!

I'm assuming all those snarkily criticising the NNR for running an unprototypical rake will now be writing a big cheque, to enable them to buy and restore these coaches?

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Well done to all involved, they look fantastic! Hope I'm lucky enough to get there some time this year and see them. Will they be in general use at all.?

Steve.

Im guessing they will be used sparingly like the quad arts. Best to keep an eye on the NNR website which is quite well updated. They usually say when the quad arts are running.

• RMweb Gold

It was converted into a generator car for the Pullman set in the early 90s and the radiator grille was on the end.

The lads that have restored it have done a cracking job.

• RMweb Gold

Well done to all involved, they look fantastic! Hope I'm lucky enough to get there some time this year and see them. Will they be in general use at all.?

Steve.

Just to let you know they are scheduled to run this weekend as part of the Spring Gala. See the NNR website for details

• 3 weeks later...

Archived