RMweb

The Marlborough Branch

Alcanman

• 2 weeks later...
Mal, as I have been absent for some time there is quite a lot of superb modelling I have to catch up with. 

I really love your Marlborough - branch it has a spacious uncrowned look that I think is most realistic. I like the idea of what might have been as well, it all adds to the realistic atmosphere you have created and you can’t buy that in a tin and spray it on. The long sidings work a treat, so much better than short ones. They take longer to spot cars as well which all adds to the fun of operation.

The freight cars all look realistic as if they are really heavy, the ones carrying steel coils especially so. The subtle weathering and vegetation growing near the track all add to the realism of the scene. I love it.

Kind regards Peter M

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a third MDC Roundhouse FMC covered hopper for a fiver from Contikits at the Perth Green exhibition. The kit was made up and Kadees fitted.

Cheap kits like this and Athearn (blue box) are a good way to try out your weathering skills.

post-7898-0-57701500-1521634476_thumb.jpg

All 3 FMC hoppers turned up at Marlborough today!

post-7898-0-19975100-1521634531_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

It's been quite awhile since I visited The Marlborough Branch and it seems there have been quite a few changes!The customer who was served on the trailing spur has gone and the track has been lifted. This has also resulted in the run around siding no longer being required.CSX local B724 will simply shove it's train from Marlborough Junction into downtown Marlborough to serve the remaining customers.However, some of the run around siding remains in place, being used occasionly as a transload track.Here's the revised track plan.attachicon.gifMarlborough Mk 2.jpgProgress pics to follow.....Mal

I've been a big fan of your layouts since Palmetto, and have noticed that you've tended to push your trains in from staging. With Marlborough you started with a run round loop, seemingly enthusiastically, but have now reverted to propelling into the scene, but without explanation. Can I be cheeky and ask why? I ask because I was thinking of doing something similar to your original plan, and wondered what drawbacks you found. Really enjoying this thread. Trevor

Hi Trevor. A very good question which I am only too happy to answer.

I like the idea of having a run around enabling both facing and trailing spurs to be switched and I like to see a train arriving with the loco leading.

However, when I began operating the original Marlborough layout, I realised the run around was too short resulting in operations becoming a 'switching puzzle' rather like a 'timesaver'. 

If I had more space, say 12ft, I would certainly include a run around.

Marlborough Mk 2 and Palmetto Spur have almost identical track plans and I enjoy the more prototypical switching they offer.

However, I feel that I need to come up with something different, track plan wise, for my next layout. Watch this space!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you for that. Given that, like you, I only have 9ft, I shall have to reconsider. I may have to think about pushing, as you have done. I shall certainly watch this space, as I enjoy your layout building. All the best, Trevor 

You don't only have to "push" on a layout like this. My old inglenook I used in that manner, but I also imagined that the middle road was a main track and the other two were spurs, so I would just run an "eastbound" train which switched the site on the way to wherever the branch went.

I couldn't run the train on or off scene, and had to limit myself to 2 cars + caboose, but I only had 4'6" to work with.

A spur facing the other direction (I didn't have one) could be switched by the "westbound".

It actually amounts to pretty much the same thing, I just had to use my imagination differently, starting operation just after the train had arrived on scene and finishing just before it left.

Hi Trevor. A very good question which I am only too happy to answer.

I like the idea of having a run around enabling both facing and trailing spurs to be switched and I like to see a train arriving with the loco leading.

However, when I began operating the original Marlborough layout, I realised the run around was too short resulting in operations becoming a 'switching puzzle' rather like a 'timesaver'. 

If I had more space, say 12ft, I would certainly include a run around.

Marlborough Mk 2 and Palmetto Spur have almost identical track plans and I enjoy the more prototypical switching they offer.

However, I feel that I need to come up with something different, track plan wise, for my next layout. Watch this space!

Can’t wait to see what you have planned!!!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...