Steam locomotives and "modern wagons"

Hello there

I'm looking for images of steam locomotives hauling modernised stock in the very late steam era. I have seen evidence of this but I'm trying to track down images of locomotives hauling wagons such as HAA MGR wagons, TEA bogie tanks and TTA tanks. Specifically the TEA and HAA type wagons.

On a similar theme? The flyash trains to Fletton (Peterborough, using "Presflo" type wagons (generic description as I know they were different), were thepreserve of class 47, 56 and 58 diesels over the years. But did I read somewhere they started with 9F haulage?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

I'm sure we have had this discussion before, and I have posted a photo of a WD on a train of MGR hoppers somewhere here.

There are a number of photos of 9Fs on the early Cliffe-Uddingston cement trains around the 'net, and I think it was JeffP's thread that had an A4 on that working. There were lots of early steam substitutions for diesel failures, with standby A1s often being used.

On a similar theme? The flyash trains to Fletton (Peterborough, using "Presflo" type wagons (generic description as I know they were different), were thepreserve of class 47,r 56 and 58 diesels over the years. But did I read somewhere they started with 9F haulage?

Stewart

They may have done; the first fly-ash Presflos were fitted with vacuum brakes and were delivered in 1964.

The first HAA hoppers came out of Shildon shops in 1964. However they were air braked  and no steam locos at that time were air braked, in fact most diesels weren't. It's possible some traveled behind steam unfitted to delivery destinations. TEA's otherwise known as 100ton Tankers were air braked, but I have seen them travelling (unfitted) behind 37's (English Electric Type 3's) using  12ton vans as a fitted head (vacuum brakes).

The first HAA hoppers came out of Shildon shops in 1964. However they were air braked  and no steam locos at that time were air braked, in fact most diesels weren't. It's possible some traveled behind steam unfitted to delivery destinations. TEA's otherwise known as 100ton Tankers were air braked, but I have seen them travelling (unfitted) behind 37's (English Electric Type 3's) using  12ton vans as a fitted head (vacuum brakes).

There are photos of MGR hoppers, possibly being delivered, behind Q6s and Austerities in the North East. They would, of course, have run as Class 8 or 9 workings, with a brake van on the rear. As you say, there weren't many locos fitted with train air-brakes at the time; I remember Modern Railways list of stock changes had a column showing which locos had been fitted that month.

Here's a link to a shot of a Pannier with a brand-new LPG tank:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbill/11834667086/in/album-72157624498903685/

And here's one of a train of 45t tanks, though probably vac-fitted, https://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbill/4979441595/in/album-72157624498903685/

• RMweb Gold

Whether these photos by Dad are of any use I don't know - my interest in freight and other rolling stock finishes in 1930, when the SDJR lost its identity!  The 9F shot has appeared in another thread and I think that it was taken at Worcester.

post-14351-0-61143000-1492792824_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-39776200-1492792521_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3

Not quite what you wanted and no pictures, but...

At the Ribble Steam Railway (which is used by a Bitchumen plant for rail access) a rake of TEA wagons used for the bitchumen plant were in a loop needed for running round locos for their gala and instead of getting out their resident 0-4-0 diesel sentinel, their little Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 top and tailed the wagons with a visiting Peckett and moved into a nearby siding. Quite a sight.

I'll get my coat.

• Like 2

I'm sure we have had this discussion before, and I have posted a photo of a WD on a train of MGR hoppers somewhere here.

There are a number of photos of 9Fs on the early Cliffe-Uddingston cement trains around the 'net, and I think it was JeffP's thread that had an A4 on that working. There were lots of early steam substitutions for diesel failures, with standby A1s often being used.

Here are the WD + MGR screen grabs from a video. (Yes, they were probably a class 9 with brake van).

post-4474-0-14804600-1492798964_thumb.png

post-4474-0-87034100-1492798969_thumb.png

post-4474-0-24839700-1492798977_thumb.png

• Like 3

There are photos of MGR hoppers, possibly being delivered, behind Q6s and Austerities in the North East. They would, of course, have run as Class 8 or 9 workings, with a brake van on the rear. As you say, there weren't many locos fitted with train air-brakes at the time; I remember Modern Railways list of stock changes had a column showing which locos had been fitted that month.

Here's a link to a shot of a Pannier with a brand-new LPG tank:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbill/11834667086/in/album-72157624498903685/

And here's one of a train of 45t tanks, though probably vac-fitted, https://www.flickr.com/photos/barkingbill/4979441595/in/album-72157624498903685/

Both the LPGs and oil tanks are vacuum braked. Although the Pannier is probably only on a pick up and not using power brake.

Paul

One of the magazines had a photo of a rake of HAAs (or HOP AB as they were) being hauled by a J27 in the North East, loaded too I seem to remember. Unfortunately I don't have a copy.

None of the collierys round here could take HAA's (HOP AB or HOP26) I've seen them stenciled both ways. So it's unlikely the train was loaded, but like everything in railways, you can never say "It didn't happen". J27's weren't train brake fitted anyway.

Here are the WD + MGR screen grabs from a video. (Yes, they were probably a class 9 with brake van).

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-04-21 at 19.13.35.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-04-21 at 19.15.24.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-04-21 at 19.19.22.png

According to the headcode it's a Class 8 freight (through freight), Probably a delivery train from Shildon.

• RMweb Gold

I once delivered a train of 10x 100 ton oil tanks from Aberthaw power station, where it was surplus, to Uskmouth, Newport, where it wasn't, with a Western, air braked of course; this would have been about 1975.  My driver asked the driver of 'Uskmouth No 1', an 0-4-0 Peckett currently resident on the Dean Forest Railway, if he required assistance moving them out of the exchange sidings to the power station's oil terminal, and was greeted with a snort of derision.  The little Peckett coupled on to the 1,000 ton train while I isolated the air brakes and stood back to watch the fun; her throttle was opened, everything went silent for a few seconds, and the driving wheels began to move as the tiny engine disappeared under clouds of exhuast steam.  The train moved, though, slowly as was proper as it was now unbraked, there was no slipping, and the Peckett driver's snort of derision was vindicated! 

Magnificent stuff!  The noise was pretty impressive as well; I've heard 9Fs under load that didn't make that amount of fuss...  My driver mentioned that they'd had some of those Pecketts at Swansea Docks, and that their tractive effort was the same as a 'king'; not sure if that's actually true, but the little b*^@!*r could certainly pull!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 9

There are a number of photos of 9Fs on the early Cliffe-Uddingston cement trains around the 'net, and I think it was JeffP's thread that had an A4 on that working..

The Cemflo's were built new with Vacuum brakes and remained as such till their withdrawal!

These ended their days working out of Hope and Oxwellmains, one is conserved at Darlington Railway Preservation Society at North Road with an APCM Presflo! There is an APCM Palvan at Wolsingham!

Mark Saunders

A quick look on Google images (sorry don't know how to post a link) has brought up pictures of a Black Five, a 9F and a exGWR 0-6-0 hauling nuclear flask wagons. I don't think they're the modern type of wagon you see nowadays but I think they still count as a modern wagon!

I think there's something fascinating about the power source of one industrial revolution pulling a train to provide power for what was the most modern of power sources and believed to be the next industrial revolution

And aside from the philosophical musings what's also interesting is that compared to now when the flask travel by themselves these wagons seem to be in mixed goods trains.

• RMweb Gold

A quick look on Google images (sorry don't know how to post a link) has brought up pictures of a Black Five, a 9F and a exGWR 0-6-0 hauling nuclear flask wagons. I don't think they're the modern type of wagon you see nowadays but I think they still count as a modern wagon!

I think there's something fascinating about the power source of one industrial revolution pulling a train to provide power for what was the most modern of power sources and believed to be the next industrial revolution

And aside from the philosophical musings what's also interesting is that compared to now when the flask travel by themselves these wagons seem to be in mixed goods trains.

Especially on a day when, according to BBC iPlayer News Website, a whole 24 hour day has been recorded with no coal fired power generation anywhere in the UK.

• RMweb Gold

A quick look on Google images (sorry don't know how to post a link) 

Once you have found what you want to link to, go to the panel at the top of your screen, where you will see something like this http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/ Highlight it, by putting your cursor in the panel and left click on the text. Then right-click on your mouse and choose 'copy' from the drop-down menu or use Ctrl+C to copy it. Once you are back in your posting in RMweb, Ctrl+V will paste it into the space where your cursor is. It won't come alive until you 'Post' your posting. 

Edited by phil_sutters

• 2 weeks later...

Alan Thompson had a reputation for photographing J27's hauling HAA around Northumberland. There is a rather well known phot of a rake of ex works HAA's being hauled out of Heaton Yard by a J27.

J27s could be seen hauling Esso Class A TTA's from the Tynemouth Terminal to Blyth power station and class A and B TTA's were used in the pick up that supplied South Blyth Loco Dept with diesel fuel.

Skipton was a bit of a hot bed for TTA tanks being hauled by 8 & 9Fs towards the end of steam and there was the short rakes of ICI Soda Ash tanks that were built in 1966.

https://flic.kr/p/dTPRnA

2966640907_a928dcd09e_z.jpg021-11-Carlisle-25-2-67-44882 by david.l.quayle, on Flickr

2966599691_e8219901bf_z.jpg019-9-Carlisle-9-10-66-92249 by david.l.quayle, on Flickr

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...