RMweb

S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, I tend to think that a rtr 7mm wagon made to the accuracy of yours would cost an awful lot more than 40 quid . That brake gear is exquisite, but why did they put the horse loop at the brake lever end ? 

Compounds figures for 4mm are about right,  I reckon £10 - £15 for a scratch build wagon , heading towards the £20 - £25 mark for a kit.  

I had to look it up , but I gather a "deltic" represents about £ 250. Ouch. 

I also note that Historex are showing better stocks of rivets and bolts. It was your use of them that led me to experiment with them in 1/50 scale. Now I'm an addict .... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting but not entirely useful to compare scratch - kit - RTR. Each represents a different position on the time:money:result continuum, and as such a very different set of compromises (or, if of @airnimal's skill and talent, very few compromises at all!).

Between 4mm and 7mm: shipping is essentially free per unit, warehousing likewise; material costs remarkably low; so really we're paying for research and design time, tool investment and skilled assembly. 

The only variance between scales is the quantity of raw material required, so it's not too surprising to me that the costs are getting ever-closer.

Needless to say, a beautifully evocative and characterful wagon Mike. Gorgeous stuff :)

Edited by Schooner
IIUC, of course, which is not a given!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I took the opportunity to paint my wagon while the weather was sunny this morning.  I gave it a coat of Halfords grey primer from a rattle can. I was intending to give it another coat of a darker grey but I caught the edge of one corner and made a bit of a mess of it. So I had to wait until the first coat had dried before rubbing it down and recoating it. I didn't want to put any further paint on it fearing I was going to obliterate the detail. So it will have to stay the colour with a lot of weathering later. 

We have finally decided we are going to move house for the final time. We have had a couple of estate agents to value our house. The value was different by what I would consider a large amount which doesn't fill me with much confidence. 

So today we went to veiw a house that looked great in the pictures, but was a total waste of time. I don't know how anybody expects to sell a house that is damp and  dirty as well as clearly neglected for the sums that they are asking for. The search goes on but I am not very hopeful looking at the area we want and the houses on offer.

20230721_192630.jpg

20230721_192746.jpg

20230721_192827.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

On 20/07/2023 at 22:35, airnimal said:

Silly me I forgot the screw couplings  !

That's another £7.00 taking the total to £36.45.  The main reason I mention my cost was the realisation that the cost of of a recent RTR 4mm wagon was nearly the same as my 7mm build. I found this unbelievable but then I don't follow 4mm modelling very much.  

I have replaced the bottom link on the screw couplings with a shorter one as the longer one was touching the ground. 

Now the talk in other threads regarding the cost in Deltic,s  is I presume just banter. Or I have missed something  ?

20230720_204141.jpg

Great thread, I love watching it.

However, you've only listed the cost of parts in your comparison. The true, fair price would be £36.45 + (hourly rate x hours spent). That would make your model considerably more expensive than an RTR equivalent model. The same would apply for any scale, and would make smaller scales less viable comparisons of value because the time spent of them is similar.

Regardless, this thread remains one of my favourites on RMWeb.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, EasternO said:

However, you've only listed the cost of parts in your comparison. The true, fair price would be £36.45 + (hourly rate x hours spent). That would make your model considerably more expensive than an RTR equivalent model. The same would apply for any scale, and would make smaller scales less viable comparisons of value because the time spent of them is similar.

Ah, but you haven't costed in the value of the fun. The build is a leisure activity and should be compared with other leisure activities. I could spend an evening scratchbuilding a wagon for £15, or I could go out to the theatre, opera, or football for something around ten times that much. So clearly I'm quids in.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, but you haven't costed in the value of the fun. The build is a leisure activity and should be compared with other leisure activities. I could spend an evening scratchbuilding a wagon for £15, or I could go out to the theatre, opera, or football for something around ten times that much. So clearly I'm quids in.

I have a friend who spends about the same time on a golf course as I do in my workshop.  I know, because he constantly tells me, how much green fees are and it is way more than I spend on modelling bits.  

Both of us enjoy our hobby but when I go there will be a legacy of models and a workshop full of tools. My friend will leave a set of clubs!

Ian.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, ian@stenochs said:

Both of us enjoy our hobby but when I go there will be a legacy of models and a workshop full of tools. My friend will leave a set of clubs!

I hate to say this, but I know which the executors would prefer to be dealing with...

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know how much Bob Essery spent on his hobby but when I disposed of his modelling assets after his death it would have taken a very large set of platinum plated golf clubs to match what I got for them.

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I don't know how much Bob Essery spent on his hobby but when I disposed of his modelling assets after his death it would have taken a very large set of platinum plated golf clubs to match what I got for them.

But the effort you had to put in was undoubtedly much greater than if it had been golf clubs.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But the effort you had to put in was undoubtedly much greater than if it had been golf clubs.

Oh, I don't know. I think I'd have had a job selling any platinum plated golf clubs at the Warley club.

Dave

• Funny 6

Michael,

I can sympathise with the tooth.  One of my upper central incisors broke a few months following post-Covid fillings.  Doesn’t hurt, but looks horrible.  I’ve been told to budget £3100 for an implant :(

As I live closer to France than to London, I’m making enquiries about getting it sorted across the channel, it may be cheaper, and I consider the quality will be same or better.  

Good luck!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Simond said:

Michael,

I can sympathise with the tooth.  One of my upper central incisors broke a few months following post-Covid fillings.  Doesn’t hurt, but looks horrible.  I’ve been told to budget £3100 for an implant :(

As I live closer to France than to London, I’m making enquiries about getting it sorted across the channel, it may be cheaper, and I consider the quality will be same or better.  

Good luck!

Simon

From what I have seen of French dental prices, don't hold your breath Simon.

The prices are so high that our dentist has a poster in his waiting room showing what he has to pay to keep the practice going.  30k for a chair, 15k for the lights (both replaced every 5 years or less) , and so on.  I am not suggesting he is ripping folk off, it is just a very expensive business

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Dentists in England have been working for many years under an NHS contract which even a Parliamentary committee have said is not fit for purpose, with the result that it has become increasingly unviable from a business point of view.  Those who have gone private have, in the main, done so to keep themselves in business while providing the standard of service and treatment which patients deserve, not to line their own pockets.  I have said for many years that successive governments would like to see dentistry out of the NHS and are creating a situation where they can blame the big, bad, greedy dentists for it happening.  (end of rant)

Jim (retired GDP)

Edited by Caley Jim
Typos
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Graham,  the sides and ends of the container were cut out and checked for size. Once the ends have been cut, I turn one end around and check again putting them back to back to make sure they are the same and they both fit the roof profile whichever way they are placed. Once stuck together they are left to dry before the join is smoothed out and the pre cut moulded roof is glued on. A very thin line under the roof has a tiny amount of filler rubbed into the join and sanded back once dry. Because of the beading on the sides I made sure that everything was parallel and straight because it would be obvious if there was any error. 

Nick, I was going to try and make a copy of the photograph in the wagon book with the lettering of the Manchester Pantechnicon on the wagon in Shallcross yard. I tried to make a drawing from the photograph so I could trace it and hopefully apply it to the container side and hand paint it.  But with all distractions of life at present and coupled with failing eyesight and arthritic fingers I have given up in disgust.

So I am making one that has elements of the real thing without it being 100% accurate to one particular prototype.  I did say that standards are slipping and when I think back to when I have scrapped a wagon for being a few thou out after spending 40 hours work building it. 

I went out yesterday cycling with my chums who confirmed the the trip to Bulgaria has been booked only to get home find my good lady and a pile of boxes of pink shoes. After measuring the size of the heels for her and wooing in the right places as she paraded up and down the lounge, it was deemed that none is quite up to specification and they are all going back. Deep joy !

20230731_065634.jpg

20230731_065705.jpg

20230731_070400.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1