S7 scratch building

It is somewhat unfortunate that some people feel the need to offer their unfair/unfounded criticism. My own view is that almost without exception those that do have never produced anything that compares at all favourably to what they are criticising. Anyone who has produced something comparable or better invariably offers constructive criticism because they appreciate the amount of work and skill involved.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

His own work must be really something else, then!

What’s his name? Fabergé?

Regularity, I wouldn't name names.

Don’t worry Mike, I wasn’t asking you to: read it as “Is his name Fabergé?” Or even, “What’s his name - Fabergé?”

Regularity, I wouldn't name names. I am mad at myself for being dragged into a spat in the first place. I feel as if I have let myself down for letting silly words get to me from someone who is of no consequence but feels a giant behind a keyboard.

Ruston, thank you for kind words. The van was made using drawing No 479 from Vol 2 L&Y wagons page 198 . I am not sure how long they kept this single shoe and I don't think anybody else will either.

Having been building wagons for over 35years my parts box has run riot, so like my loco bits that I pruned back earler this year I may go down the same root with some of these. I also have lots of plastic moulded parts from various companies.

Thanks. I only have Vol.1 but now I know about the simple brake gear, and I can get a copy of Vol.2, I may have a go at building one for myself but in 4mm.

People who criticise but have no modelling to show for themselves are just dead wood, IMHO, of course.

Thanks. I only have Vol.1 but now I know about the simple brake gear, and I can get a copy of Vol.2, I may have a go at building one for myself but in 4mm.

If you want a quick L&Y van in 4mm, try using the ancient Pyramid/Rovex/Tri-ang van body with a decent underframe - but you probably know that already.

That's not an uncommon practice for pre-grouping railway practice the GWR, Furness, LYR, S&DJR all did it and probably more than that. As for why they did it that is probably lost in the mists of time.

Marc

I can see how it might be of use to shunters...

If you want a quick L&Y van in 4mm, try using the ancient Pyramid/Rovex/Tri-ang van body with a decent underframe - but you probably know that already.

I didn't know that. I have typed Pyramid Rovex Triang  OO van into google images but that brings up just about anything OO. Do you have any photos of the vans to which you refer?

• RMweb Premium

The LNWR also painted the numbers on the ends of its vans and most of it's other wagons as well.

I am just surprised I managed to get the numbers straight.

I have not being doing a lot lately although I have put some of my photo's on the UK prototype discussion page around Stockport.

I didn't know that. I have typed Pyramid Rovex Triang  OO van into google images but that brings up just about anything OO. Do you have any photos of the vans to which you refer?

Not off hand. I was hoping to refer you to a page on Nile's bodging thread but can't find one at the mo. I will have to get back to you. PM me if you would you like it posting somewhere else to save upsetting these nice 7mm people any more than necessary.

The LNWR also painted the numbers on the ends of its vans and most of it's other wagons as well.

According to Mike Williams' book on CR wagons the LNWR started the practice in 1882.  He quotes from LNWR Liveries a minute of August of that year requiring the number to be painted on the ends of wagons in the same manner as on the Caledonian Railway.

Jim

According to Mike Williams' book on CR wagons the LNWR started the practice in 1882.  He quotes from LNWR Liveries a minute of August of that year requiring the number to be painted on the ends of wagons in the same manner as on the Caledonian Railway.

Jim

But no indication of the reasoning behind the decision?

Edited by wagonman

• RMweb Premium

But no indication of the reasoning behind the decision?

That's the frustrating thing about the minute books I've looked at (Midland Railway various committees held at Kew) - they are records of decisions, not of the decision-making process.

LNWR Liveries says exactly what Jim says Mike Williams says it says.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some thoughts on painting wagon numbers on the ends - and please do not consider these as definitive proven facts.

1.  Vans - the use of vans was comparatively rare compared to say BR days.  Picking out a van and its number when the end was painted would therefore be an asset for those working in a goods yard and relatively easy to do.

2.  Opens - appart from mineral wagons, opens were used for all sorts of merchandise and to protect that merchandise, wagon sheets were often used.  This sheeting could often obscure part of the wagon number, so maybe painting the number in extra places around the wagon would make it easier to identify it, rather than having to unsheet part of the wagon to gain access to the number.

Edit to add that this probably explains why some railways relied solely on a plate affixed to the solebar.

Edited by Andy Hayter

That's the frustrating thing about the minute books I've looked at (Midland Railway various committees held at Kew) - they are records of decisions, not of the decision-making process.

And that's how any minutes should be, with no record of the discussion that led to the decision.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

And that's how any minutes should be, with no record of the discussion that led to the decision.

Jim

You obviously haven’t had to deal with the financial services regulators recently then!

Not off hand. I was hoping to refer you to a page on Nile's bodging thread but can't find one at the mo. I will have to get back to you. PM me if you would you like it posting somewhere else to save upsetting these nice 7mm people any more than necessary.

Animal says he is OK with me posting on here so here we go (7mm guys go to next post if you wish :offtopic: ). 

The Trackmaster (By Pyramid) van goes back to at least 1952. It came in all sorts of colours and liveries. Ramsay's catalogue describes it as GWR but I think the general consensus is that it is not a million miles away from a Lancashire and Yorkshire Diagram 3 6-Ton Covered Goods Wagon, some of which had roof hatches. The model has gone through several chassis in its time. The NE one shown has the original but I am not quite sire how to change the wheels as they are apparently three-rail compatible and very similar to Hornby Dublo profile. The white one has Tri-ang open axleboxes and the green one closed axleboxes. The roofs of earlier models are very prone to warping as, indeed, are some of the bodies depending on the plastic used.

post-7238-0-95319200-1545302226.jpg

The second pic shows some underframe detail which could be improved buy adding a hand brake lever and changing the wheels - Might have to go for inside bearing thingies for that.

post-7238-0-81188900-1545302247.jpg

The third pic shows mine fitted with a Dapol chassis I picked up at a swapmeet, I think it is that intended for the rectangular tank wagon. Now I have dug it out for the photo, it looks like I will have to add some transfers to it!

post-7238-0-75087200-1545302264.jpg

Hope this is of interest.

Regularity, I wouldn't name names. I am mad at myself for being dragged into a spat in the first place. I feel as if I have let myself down for letting silly words get to me from someone who is of no consequence but feels a giant behind a keyboard.

Ruston, thank you for kind words. The van was made using drawing No 479 from Vol 2 L&Y wagons page 198 . I am not sure how long they kept this single shoe and I don't think anybody else will either.

Having been building wagons for over 35years my parts box has run riot, so like my loco bits that I pruned back earler this year I may go down the same root with some of these. I also have lots of plastic moulded parts from various companies.

....and I bet you still can't find the part that you need.....  My parts always seem to know when they will be needed and then they hide.......

• RMweb Premium

I know I have not finished the loco coal wagons but I have decided to build 3 ballast wagons to go with the ballast brake van. In Vol 3 of LNWR wagons there is a drawing of a small example only 13 feet long with straight buffers. So I started on a couple and made the headstock of another longer one at the same time. I am not sure if I want a longer one but I like the variety of different wagons in a train.

I have left the headstocks over long on the small pair to trim back to size.

I have used Peco GWR buffers which are perfect for these wagons. I will cut of the coach bolts and replace with hex bolts from MasterClub.

post-20018-0-98862300-1545389772_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-24211100-1545389786_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-27234200-1545389803_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I have decided to go with a longer third ballast wagon with the original headstock. I don't think I will do a lot more because of family visits for the next few days. At least when I get going on the body work I will be able to cut out the lot in one go, that's the theory anyway.

post-20018-0-94800600-1545574331_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-52134600-1545574344_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I managed to get a couple of hours in the workshop when all the family went to my youngest daughters. I made the side and ends for the two smallest wagons and a new jig for the end pillars. This is an improvement over the last jig because this has a hole drilled in to locate in the buffer beam slot.

I cut the end pillars to size and rounded the ends with a file. I held them together in a small vice so they would all be the same size.

post-20018-0-57912000-1545659766_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-83864200-1545659783_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-53539900-1545659797_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-94765200-1545659815_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-58164600-1545659828_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1