hornby class 31 with dcc sound opinions please

jonhants

I own one. IMHO, it has good and bad points.

The most annoying aspect was the fan noise that kicked in as soon as the loco started moving. that was cured by modifying a few CVs as listed elsewhere in the forums (will try to dig out the reference later).

The engine sounds are very recognisably English Electric but the jury is still out as to whether it sounds more like a class 31 or a class 37. It's not bad enough for me to have it reblown (yet) but neither am I entirely convinced by it.

Hornby do include many functions to add to the "play value" - it goes right up to function 15, although five of those are horn variations.

Try to listen to one, or better still, have a test run in the shop if you can, before you commit to buying, as it is rather a lot of money to spend if you don't end up liking it. Also, check out the videos posted in the DCC Sound sub-forum.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'am after the adjusted cv's settings for my Hornby class 31 with sound to stop the fan-ventilater running all the time when the loco is moving,after reading the above posts , could you please help me,Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I would reblow it.....Howes or SWD both have their good qualities. The Hornby one drives very strangely and the fan noise mentioned above is too much.

Concur with this; for a few quid you get a REALLY good sound.

P @ 36E

• RMweb Premium

We fitted the Howes in my son's Hornby 31 and on his end to end slow running layout the sound is excellent and very drivable, no lagging or racing away it just seems to "fit", highly recommended.

Archived