Bury electric stock

For the last three years, Electryfying Trains [0208-440-5918] have produced, with assistance from the L&Y Soc, 1/43rd scale etched N-S RTR versions of this stock and have been asking around exhibitions whether there is interest in producing 00scale versions [kit and/or RTR]. They will be around at RAILEX and the Ogauge summer show at Doncaster.

• RMweb Premium

you can cut and shunt, various kit bodies, but not everyone can or wants to do that. Also it is not unknown for ranges to disappear.

Also I model HO not OO, so I have no other option. Then there is N scale and TT scale.

It did not take me that long to do the design for the 501, and the others will follow. It is all done in the virtual world, no other set up costs for prodution, although I am tempted to put togeher a proper advert.

Hi Simon

Maybe some people enjoy the challenge of making something themselves. Just like you like the challenge doing a 3D drawing and then printing the final product. Thankfully railway modelling allows all of us to reach our goal in a way that we want to.

Does Shapeways dictate the price of the prints? I was very interested in the North London GEC unit prints but the price put me off a wee bit.

Hi Simon

Maybe some people enjoy the challenge of making something themselves. Just like you like the challenge doing a 3D drawing and then printing the final product. Thankfully railway modelling allows all of us to reach our goal in a way that we want to.

Does Shapeways dictate the price of the prints? I was very interested in the North London GEC unit prints but the price put me off a wee bit.

There is a lot to be said for making things yourself.

The 3D printed items look nice, but the costs for 4mm make it rather unviable for me sadly. I was also interested to note the Brighton AC electric stock, which I had been considering making myself at some stage in the future.

I expect I'll stick to Replica parts and etched sides for now for units.

It is up to each to do what they want. I model British HO, so alternative is to scratchbuild. I don't build etched brass kits, and I sometimes when I look back on my attempts I wonder if it was worth while. I now think of 3D printing /design as virtual scratchbuilding. Everything I design will be around for a long time(assuming it passes on to others when I am gone), whereas many of the traditional kit ranges seem to be disappearing or are difficult to get hold of. Etched kits could evolve into a similar online production to order system, and various laser cut type kits can continue that way. 3D printing is showing how such a system can work in practice.

HO works out about 25% cheaper than OO, and the track gauge is correct. No need to build my own track, and motor units are available.

The Bury cars were designed so they could in theory run as single units, but 2 was the minmum on schedules, so I don't need to get a complete 5 coaches. In quiet times they did run as 3 coach trains.

There are etched kits available, but most people can't build those, and when you cost in the time it takes, the price goes up a lot. I am a member of the L&Y society, having lived in L&Y territory (Todmorden and Accrington) for nearly 30 years, so actually know a few of the members well. I am not even attempting to do something to the same finescale as the etched kits, but everyone will end up with something that does resemble a Bury unit. The world does not revolve around OO/EM/P4, as I said I model HO, as did Jack Nelson, better known for his dioramas, but the modelled the LNWR in HO, back in the 40s. It is far easier now.

Shapeways set the base price, I add a small markup, which is about 20%. Not much, but every bit helps. One reason I offer models in different scales, is to show that you don't have to go OO for everything. The price of r2r is going through the roof, making 3D printing better value. In theory I can take my designs to any 3D printer, but that takes work, and Shapeways offer a worldwide customer base, a free online shop(although I use my own front end), handle all the manufacture, postage etc, and if it is their fault sort out the problem. I still sometimes get design faults, which get pointed out and I fix them. I am getting better at getting them right first time.

For the GEC units, I know some have cut and shunt Airfix/Dapol cosaches or even old Graham Farish ones(which are actually closer to the Altringham units), but that takes time, might work, but not everyone wants to do that, or can even do it.

Sorry I keep adding bits but am trying to respond to several comments.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Designs for 4 coaches now up on Shapeways and available. It was only when I was looking closely at the non motor coaches that I realised there were some small differences between third and first class. Not difficult, at least they had doors in same place. Done designs in 4mm/ft, 3.5mm/ft and 3mm/ft. Might consider an N scale versio, but can't see how it would be motorised as the door ways block the space.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Good evening,

I understand you are at Boyle Street this weekend.

I'll see you tomorrow then, 'cos I am prepared to give you a deposit for a five car set.

Chris Pakes.

I had a long chat with Simon at Boyle St. on Sunday.

The bodies are very well done. I have put an order in for a set on his website.

One thing, Simon primarily models in Ho and the site has different areas for OO. I know 'cos I almost ordered a set in HO!!!

I'm now looking at making the underframes for the unit.

It now gets interesting!!

thanks. 2 cars was in theory the minimum operational length, probably so they would have a first class coach. It is odd that they did not have both first and third in one coach, as was the case on the Tyneside lines.

I have now started on its ugly younger sister, the Cl504. Not sure I have got the roof absolutely correct. It is always difficult , especially with the front end at all different angles. It has also raised a question abput roof vents.

On the motor coach, the compartment is fully open and the vents are alternate side to side. According to drawings, the trailer coach is is half compartments(5) plus an open area. Looking at some photos shows the compartments end(non  cab) has 2 vents per compartment, with the open area having alternate ones. In other photos the trailer looks like it has all vents alternate sides. This suggsts either a modification, or some trailers being fully open. Ionly travelled on them a couple of times, and can't remember noticing if there were compartments.

• RMweb Premium

thanks. 2 cars was in theory the minimum operational length, probably so they would have a first class coach. It is odd that they did not have both first and third in one coach, as was the case on the Tyneside lines.

I have now started on its ugly younger sister, the Cl504. Not sure I have got the roof absolutely correct. It is always difficult , especially with the front end at all different angles. It has also raised a question abput roof vents.

On the motor coach, the compartment is fully open and the vents are alternate side to side. According to drawings, the trailer coach is is half compartments(5) plus an open area. Looking at some photos shows the compartments end(non  cab) has 2 vents per compartment, with the open area having alternate ones. In other photos the trailer looks like it has all vents alternate sides. This suggsts either a modification, or some trailers being fully open. Ionly travelled on them a couple of times, and can't remember noticing if there were compartments.

I wil, post a picture side on later, there was a smoking compartment with more vents in one of the cars early in their life. I will not be a customer for 504s however, already done the cut and shut.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's alive!!

Black Beetle motor bogie (EM) DCC; everything below the body shell is incorrect but she moves.

Behind the LYR Lecky is a part converted 504 from a 2EPB using DC Kits parts (loose roof for later painting).

For anyone who wants to see it there may be room at an EMGS meeting later in the month PM me (Gtr Manchester).

post-25365-0-37839200-1496935672_thumb.jpg

Edited by dhjgreen