Hornby Class 31

Grumpmole

I hope this is the correct forum for this query.  I am desperate to have a Class 31 (non Railroad version).  I really want one in early 60s BR green l/c.  That batch all seem to be affected by Mazak blight.  My question is this.  Can anyone advise whether it is feasible to change a new R3262 model to BR livery.  Is it the same green?  Can it be changed relatively cheaply

The only green 31 affected by Mazak rot was R2420. All others are ok including (but not restricted to)

R2420A

R2572

R3144
R3144A

None of which are available at the mo.

The only thing that R3262 has in common with BR green models is that its a shade of green - the locos were very different physically in the 1960s than R3262 (modelled on current day) so conversion back to 1960s condition would be gruelling and need a full repaint too.

Why do you want a non Railroad version?

The Railroad version has a more accurate body, especially round the cab area, runs quite well and with a bit of work scrubs up very well.

Bernard

I liked the spec and they aren't available in green either.

The only green 31 affected by Mazak rot was R2420. All others are ok including (but not restricted to)

R2420A

R2572

R3144
R3144A

None of which are available at the mo.

The only thing that R3262 has in common with BR green models is that its a shade of green - the locos were very different physically in the 1960s than R3262 (modelled on current day) so conversion back to 1960s condition would be gruelling and need a full repaint too.

I thought as much.  I am new to diesel so needed the advice.  Thank you so much for relevant model numbers, David

I liked the spec and they aren't available in green either.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/Hornby-new-for-2017/railroad-br-class-31-d5551-with-tts-sound.html

If you don't mind waiting till July, you'll get a RailRoad one in BR Green with TTS sound. If you don't want TTS sound Rails Of Sheffield normally sell a few with the TTS decoder removed. The Hornby one is an excellent model, main issue as I hear is with the face of the loco. The Hornby RailRoad one is also quite good and can be detailed quite easily.

• RMweb Gold

As DavidM has said, only some carried metal rot. Avoid D5512, D5511 would seem to be free from zinc pest.

C6T.

Agree D5511 (Catalogue R2420A) is fine - I've had one since 2012 (£49.99 in a Modelzone sale - those were the days!) and its a fine runner. However I think this is modeled in its original Crompton engined condition (so roof and exhaust arrangement is different ) rather than the the later English Electric re engined version which we know as 'Class 31'. This is only an issue if you worry about such things :)

Agree D5511 ... is modeled in its original Crompton engined condition

Cough - Mirrlees - cough. All the Brush 2's went into service with this engine, later TOPS class 30. This 'class 31' of which people speak, doesn't exist at all until the start of replacement of the Mirrlees engines with EE units with the consequent exterior changes already mentioned, at some later time.

Perhaps more significant to appearance is that D5511 is one of the 20 pilot scheme locos, with the small vent above the cab only, rather than the headcode box of the production run. That made them look very different, generally known as the 'skinheads' to the group I mixed with.

• RMweb Gold

Cough - Mirrlees - cough. All the Brush 2's went into service with this engine, later TOPS class 30. This 'class 31' of which people speak, doesn't exist at all until the start of replacement of the Mirrlees engines with EE units with the consequent exterior changes already mentioned, at some later time.

Perhaps more significant to appearance is that D5511 is one of the 20 pilot scheme locos, with the small vent above the cab only, rather than the headcode box of the production run. That made them look very different, generally known as the 'skinheads' to the group I mixed with.

Ha, I knew it wasn't Maybach but I just couldn't think what it should be! Thanks for the correction :)

There were quite a few of the earlier production locomotives which also had disc headcodes and were "skinheads" too. Also, in green days, some of those early production locomotives shared the lower top speed (80 mph) of the pilot batch too.

Of possible interest for multiple running: the multiple working codes were different for the first 20 "pilot scheme" locomotives. They were red circle coded, with electro-magnetic control gear, while all of the later engines were coded blue star (electro-pneumatic control gear), enabling them to work with many other locomotive classes too. D5518 was rebuilt after an accident with headcode boxes and no discs, and also with blue star multiple operation. Of course, if anyone wants to run their models double-headed with the 'wrong' codes, it's their layout and they can do as they wish; the excuse could be that the locomotives are in tandem (a crew in each leading cab), rather than in multiple (two locos operated from the leading one).

The first 20 were also nicknamed "toffee apples" because of the power control handles.

Another difference between the first 20 and all later locomotives was the grille on the engine room door, absent on the pilot scheme batch, although added later when they were re-engined and painted BR blue. D5518 also lacked the engine room door grille at first, even after its rebuild, resulting in a unique combination of features.

The classes 30 and 31 are a veritable minefield to get features and liveries correct.

Incidentally, I noted on DC Kits website that they had a Hornby R3144A green one with headcode boxes for sale in their sound-fitted stock. It could be worth checking to see if that is still in stock.

Thank you everyone. I have now acquired R2420A. I paid a lot of money but really wanted one. I am not particularly pleased with it as there are a number of issues. One of these relates to the body mounted couplings ( a silly idea). They tend to droop. Does anyone have a solution? In addition some of the detailing parts are missing. Does anyone know where I might find some?

I put a Lima body (depicting a 30 ie with the original exhaust ports) onto a hacked about Railroad chassis and it goes reasonably well.  Hornby green 31s (or 30s to be more precise) can be found secondhand from time to time. I acquired one recently and changed it back to not having a yellow panel. See here

Archived