LMS/BR Princess Workplates

Hello, 

I hope this question does  not appear to basic, but I would if possible like an answer ...

Did the LMS/BR  Princess Pacifics (46200 - 46212)  carry works plates ?   If 'yes', where were they positioned ?

Many thanks, Ian

Hello, 

I hope this question does  not appear to basic, but I would if possible like an answer ...

Did the LMS/BR  Princess Pacifics (46200 - 46212)  carry works plates ?   If 'yes', where were they positioned ?

Many thanks, Ian

The Duchesses appear to have them on the front frame extensions but I don't have any pictures of the original engines showing them. This might help though.

Just had a look in An Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives Vol 5.

The first two had them on the front splashers from new.

From 6203 onwards they are fitted to the front frames. Photo dated 1935.

However in some photographs they are absent. It's really a case of looking for a photograph for whatever date you are interested in.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

The first two definitely carried them on their leading splashers. However when 6200 emerged new from Crewe, the worksplate was on the side of the smokebox and is shown as such in an official photograph which appeared in 'The Railway Gazette' of 30th June 1933. The 1935 batch carried them on their front frame extensions as did 46202 'Princess Anne' which read 'Rebuilt 1952 Crewe'. 

Archived