Cowes, Isle Of Wight

Nick C

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

After lurking on here for quite a while, I thought it was about time I started a thread on my new layout - Cowes, on the Isle of Wight.

Having been looking for a suitable station that would fit in the limited space I have without needing too much compression, and having been interested in the Island railways for a long time, Cowes easily fit the bill - and it has another personal connection as I used to live in the town...

So far, I've built the main station baseboards, and am now starting on the trackwork - using SMP OO flexitrack and copperclad points. - photos to follow soon!

Locos will be a mixture of Kernow and kitbuilt O2s, with an E1 or two and a couple of Dapol terriers making the odd appearance (period is fairly flexible as the station didn't change much, but predominately mid 50's, so the terriers will only appear when I'm having an "earlier period" running session...). Stock will be a mix of kit and scratch built - I'm trying to draw up CADs of the SECR stock with a view to getting a 'scratch-aid' style kit etched at some point.

I've got plenty of photos of the station itself, but very little information on the area around it - can anyone help? Especially the buildings to the immediate south of the station (Cross Street and the Fountain Coaches yard) and along Terminus Road (particularly the pub and Ganges coal yard)

Cheers!

Nick

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul - I know Chris well, he only lives a few miles from me, and we've been working together on plans and ideas for the coaching stock (though Chris' ones are a lot more advanced than mine at the moment!)

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 1

​If you get in touch with the IOW Railway they might be able to help you about what was around Cowes ,I had a book of railways on the island and seem to remember one side of the station had houses.They backed onto the line and you could see walls (brick) separating small gardens and terraced properties all a bit run down and unkempt sorry I cant tell anymore but its an interesting station given the method of running round a train upon arrival.The loco would push the coaches out of the platform and then run onto across onto another track ,then the guard would allow the coaches to roll into the platform .Imagine doing that now!

Hi Paul - I know Chris well, he only lives a few miles from me, and we've been working together on plans and ideas for the coaching stock (though Chris' ones are a lot more advanced than mine at the moment!)

Ah well, if you live in the Alton area you probably know Mark Pretious, he bought my old Bembridge layout. :sungum:

post-7336-0-37943900-1494266001.jpg

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Ah well, if you live in the Alton area you probably know Mark Pretious, he bought my old Bembridge layout. :sungum:

Yes, I know Mark - and I've operated Bembridge quite a few times! He's retired it from the exhibition circuit now though...

• RMweb Gold

​If you get in touch with the IOW Railway they might be able to help you about what was around Cowes ,I had a book of railways on the island and seem to remember one side of the station had houses.They backed onto the line and you could see walls (brick) separating small gardens and terraced properties all a bit run down and unkempt sorry I cant tell anymore but its an interesting station given the method of running round a train upon arrival.The loco would push the coaches out of the platform and then run onto across onto another track ,then the guard would allow the coaches to roll into the platform .Imagine doing that now!

Thanks!

I've got a few ideas as to how to simulate the 'gravity shunt', not sure what will work yet though...

Thanks!

I've got a few ideas as to how to simulate the 'gravity shunt', not sure what will work yet though...

Quite a few years ago there was a model of Maiden Newton on the local exhibition circuit. Built by a late, much missed member of the Bridport club called John, but whose surname I can't remember. That had a gravity shunt for the Bridport train, that was held in place, at the top end of the shunt by a electro-magnet stop between the rails, against one of the coach axles.

Hello

I  am  building  Cowes  in  N  gauge  to  scale.   (Station  to  Tunnel)

I  would  have  liked  to  do  it  in  O  but  dont have  the room, not  even  for  the  station  building  to  road  bridge

I  have  done  quite  a  bit  of  research  including  copying  original  planning  application  drawings  for  surrounding  buildings  from  the  IOW  record  office.  I  have  a  copy  of  the  SR  40'  to  the  inch  plans.

I  am  gradually  preparing  drawings  of  the  relevant  buildings.  Most  of the  station area  now  done.

Terminus  road,  no  problem,  all  covered.  Cross  Street,  not  so  good,  to  early  for  planning  drawings  and  patchy  photo  coverage.  Main  omission  is  the  old  Methodist  Chapel  which  had  been  converted  into  a  builders store,  I  have  only  found  this  on  aerial  photos.  The  terraced  stone  cottages  are  reasonably  covered  and  some still  survive at the  lower  end  of the street. 

Carvel  :Lane  also  patchy  with  drawings  for  only  three  buildings.

In  WW2  the  entire  Carvel  Lane  buildings  to  the  south  of  the  station,  both  sides  of  the  road  were  destroyed  by  bombing,  I  have  aerial  photos  of  these  both  pre  and  post war,  Fountains  Coach  garage  partly  survived.  Best  photo  I  have  of  this  is  during the station  demolition  when  it  was more  visible.

Denmark  Road  &  St  Marys  Road  largely  covered  or  planning  drawings  identified.

The  pub  was  the  "Royal  Oak"  and  was  quite  a  large  structure  which  included  the  Unity  Hall  meeting  rooms  for  the  Oddfellows.  Ganges  coal  yard  had  two  buildings,  their  original  tin  hut  adjoining the  footbridge  and  the  much  larger  building  which  had  originally  been  built  by the  IWCR  as  a  cart  shed  and  stables.  Drawings  done.

Granville  Road  drawings  not  started,  Cross  Street  school  not  started,  Denmark  Road  school  done.  Co-op  done.

First  base  board  built  (Granville  Road  Bridge  to  Carvel  Lane),  tracklaying  started  in  N  finescale  including  building  pointwork  from  kits.

If  you  want  to  PM  me  with  specific  wants  I  will  be able  to  help  on  a  case  by  case  basis,  not  "Yes  Please,  send  it  all  now"

I  have  already  accessed  everything  the  steam  railway  has  and  incorporated the  information  though  more  still  appears,  last  month  a  Cowes  photo  appeared  which  shows  the  Cattle  Dock  still  existed  during the  1920's  and  into  the  30's,  something  I  had  not  been  certain  of.

Pete

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello

I  am  building  Cowes  in  N  gauge  to  scale.   (Station  to  Tunnel)

I  would  have  liked  to  do  it  in  O  but  dont have  the room, not  even  for  the  station  building  to  road  bridge

I  have  done  quite  a  bit  of  research  including  copying  original  planning  application  drawings  for  surrounding  buildings  from  the  IOW  record  office.  I  have  a  copy  of  the  SR  40'  to  the  inch  plans.

I  am  gradually  preparing  drawings  of  the  relevant  buildings.  Most  of the  station area  now  done.

Terminus  road,  no  problem,  all  covered.  Cross  Street,  not  so  good,  to  early  for  planning  drawings  and  patchy  photo  coverage.  Main  omission  is  the  old  Methodist  Chapel  which  had  been  converted  into  a  builders store,  I  have  only  found  this  on  aerial  photos.  The  terraced  stone  cottages  are  reasonably  covered  and  some still  survive at the  lower  end  of the street. 

Carvel  :Lane  also  patchy  with  drawings  for  only  three  buildings.

In  WW2  the  entire  Carvel  Lane  buildings  to  the  south  of  the  station,  both  sides  of  the  road  were  destroyed  by  bombing,  I  have  aerial  photos  of  these  both  pre  and  post war,  Fountains  Coach  garage  partly  survived.  Best  photo  I  have  of  this  is  during the station  demolition  when  it  was more  visible.

Denmark  Road  &  St  Marys  Road  largely  covered  or  planning  drawings  identified.

The  pub  was  the  "Royal  Oak"  and  was  quite  a  large  structure  which  included  the  Unity  Hall  meeting  rooms  for  the  Oddfellows.  Ganges  coal  yard  had  two  buildings,  their  original  tin  hut  adjoining the  footbridge  and  the  much  larger  building  which  had  originally  been  built  by the  IWCR  as  a  cart  shed  and  stables.  Drawings  done.

Granville  Road  drawings  not  started,  Cross  Street  school  not  started,  Denmark  Road  school  done.  Co-op  done.

First  base  board  built  (Granville  Road  Bridge  to  Carvel  Lane),  tracklaying  started  in  N  finescale  including  building  pointwork  from  kits.

If  you  want  to  PM  me  with  specific  wants  I  will  be able  to  help  on  a  case  by  case  basis,  not  "Yes  Please,  send  it  all  now"

I  have  already  accessed  everything  the  steam  railway  has  and  incorporated the  information  though  more  still  appears,  last  month  a  Cowes  photo  appeared  which  shows  the  Cattle  Dock  still  existed  during the  1920's  and  into  the  30's,  something  I  had  not  been  certain  of.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I will certainly be in touch! I'll also be contacting the IWSR museum & IOW record office.

I'm intending to build it in mid-50s condition, so post-war, and the shape of the room I've got means that most of Carvel Lane will be off-stage - the station building itself will be jammed into the back corner (a shame, as it's a very interesting building, but it's the only way I could fit it all in), but Cross Street will be right at the front, along with the yard of Denmark Road school, and the patch of land between, which I believe was allotments? The backscene will then roughly follow the line of the far side of Terminus Road & Granville Road.

Cheers,

Nick

Hello

An  enquiry  to  the  IWSR  museum  would  likely  end  up  being  passed  to  me.

The  three  buildings along  the  boundary  with  the  school  I  have  drawn  together  with  the adjoining  co-op  bakery  and  coal  depot  (which  had  its  roof  removed  somewhen  in  the  50's).

An  SR  concrete  pway  hut  was  on  the  railway  side.  No  allotments  as such  but  there  was  a  chicken  run  and  shed,  fence  wasnt  very  good  as  chickens  often  appear  in  photos  all  over the  tracks.

One  feature  of  the  station  often  missed  is  that  there  were  arches  under  the  concourse  accessed  from  a  path  between  the  building  and  the  coach  garage,  these  would  be  visible  in  your  model.

Pete

Hello

An  enquiry  to  the  IWSR  museum  would  likely  end  up  being  passed  to  me.

The  three  buildings along  the  boundary  with  the  school  I  have  drawn  together  with  the adjoining  co-op  bakery  and  coal  depot  (which  had  its  roof  removed  somewhen  in  the  50's).

An  SR  concrete  pway  hut  was  on  the  railway  side.  No  allotments  as such  but  there  was  a  chicken  run  and  shed,  fence  wasnt  very  good  as  chickens  often  appear  in  photos  all  over the  tracks.

One  feature  of  the  station  often  missed  is  that  there  were  arches  under  the  concourse  accessed  from  a  path  between  the  building  and  the  coach  garage,  these  would  be  visible  in  your  model.

Pete

I never realised that there were arches along the 'alleyway' between the station building and Fountain garage's building. None of the photos I have show an angle makes this visible. Where did they lead to?

• RMweb Gold

I've now found three 1949 photos online that clearly show the arches, along with the ruins of Carvel Lane - which I presume were cleared at some point in the 50's, as the 1966 map I've got shows the area south of Fountains as a car park.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw025038

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw025039

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw025040

I've now found three 1949 photos online that clearly show the arches, along with the ruins of Carvel Lane - which I presume were cleared at some point in the 50's, as the 1966 map I've got shows the area south of Fountains as a car park.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw025038

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw025039

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw025040

Hi Nick

Thank you for uploading the photos - unfortunately I cannot see the arches! I have saved the photos and enlarged them but it all becomes distorted.

Pete

Hello

A  very  useful  album  on  flickr  (Not  mine)  contains a  good  view  of  the arches  and  also  a  view  up  Terminus  Road  showing this  side  of  the  pub  building  along  with the  outside  of  the  railway  parcel  store.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31890193@N08/sets/72157647305890101

Pete

i have seen most of these pictures before except for the view up the side of the station building. It is interesting to see the door under the bridge open-not seen that before.

There was a shop over the bridge (still Cross St I believe) on the corner of Terminus Rd Royal Oak occupied the adjacent corner and The Wheatsheaf public house was over the road (building still exists). Any idea of the shop name/what it sold?

I  have  a   note  of  the shop  name  somewhere,  I  will  try  and  find  it.

It  was  a  family  run  shop,  prewar  it  was  a  grocers,  mid  50's  it  sold /repaired  motor bikes  but  the  window  facing  the  Royal  Oak  was  marked  "Cowes  Model  Shop"  and  displayed  models  (balsa  aircraft  etc),  presumably  a  son  had  taken  over.

When  I  was at  school  in  Cowes  it  was  still  there  (railway  gone)  and  traded  as  a  craft  shop.

Further  up  Terminus  Road  was  another  building  at the  corner  with  Granville  Road,  this  was  built  as  a  mineral  water  store  for  a  local  firm  (Shergolds?),  later  it  was   a  small  garage.  In  the  early  80's  it  also  was  a   motorcycle  shop  (Allan  Brothers)

Pete

I  have  a   note  of  the shop  name  somewhere,  I  will  try  and  find  it.

It  was  a  family  run  shop,  prewar  it  was  a  grocers,  mid  50's  it  sold /repaired  motor bikes  but  the  window  facing  the  Royal  Oak  was  marked  "Cowes  Model  Shop"  and  displayed  models  (balsa  aircraft  etc),  presumably  a  son  had  taken  over.

When  I  was at  school  in  Cowes  it  was  still  there  (railway  gone)  and  traded  as  a  craft  shop.

Further  up  Terminus  Road  was  another  building  at the  corner  with  Granville  Road,  this  was  built  as  a  mineral  water  store  for  a  local  firm  (Shergolds?),  later  it  was   a  small  garage.  In  the  early  80's  it  also  was  a   motorcycle  shop  (Allan  Brothers)

Pete

Any help with that building will be most appreciated Pete.

I am modelling Cowes c1950 in EM gauge. Coaches and locos already built. Signal box done and Fountain Hotel too.. I am modelling Granville road bridge to Cowes high street..

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I too will be watching this with great interest. I love the IOW railways and the footbridge over Cowes station (it connected a footpath not the platforms) is now at Medstead & Four Marks on the Mid Hants Railway which I volunteer on. It will be very interesting to see the bridge in the original setting.

Edited by Chris116