A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Radstock - Midford Tramway at Wellow

• 2 weeks later...

Other than wiring, I've also got around to putting the stone sleepers on, this means all scenic track is now ready for detailing and painting. Perhaps if I'd chosen to throw Peco track at the boards, I would have a more finished layout by now, but I have enjoyed getting this far by scratchbuilding everything.

IMG_9929.JPG.716d91c52db22f015f946d98d6278178.JPG

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Dear Tim,

I quite agree about scratchbuilding.  For me the cameo competition was an opportunity to scratch an itch, do that broad gauge one off that I’d never get round to if I just slowly worked in my GW 1900-1914 projects, not about finishing a layout in a certain timescale.  That said I’m delight that we have the option to continue with the competition into 2020.  I might even get close to nearly being finished by then!

Drduncan

• Like 1

Annoyingly, I have found that the point decoder I'd earmarked to run the traverser doesn't have the current capacity. I could make the decoder work a relay, to fire the motor, but quite honestly this is overkill on a layout as simple as this. Decided to revert to a DC control of the traverser.

Did spend today fitting switches to ensure that errors in operation were reduced - so for example the train cannot start if the traverser isn't in the right place.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of work on the lathe/drilling machines has resulted in some reasonably convincing plateway wheels. Suddenly, the waggons look old fashioned - more like carts.

IMG_9967.JPG.e24666aaf8170edf44a175169565c6bf.JPG

IMG_9966.JPG.50263bd2ce7c7c5e7ac77654c70207f7.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Finally started to mass produce these wheels. This scene certainly beats 9Fs on a rake of Mk1s that was seen about 140 years in the future ....

IMG_9968.JPG.3aff55ef122a9a0328a82b80d1a4c152.JPG

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding 9Fs I think both have charms of their own, but it is good to see the lesser modelled bits (and of course actually modelled rather than RTP ;-) )

I like the ballasting - good to see it looking horse friendly.

• 1 month later...
On 30/06/2017 at 17:35, phil_sutters said:

I wonder if the towpath location was to avoid runoff from the hill making the path slippery or water logged. On the down side any rain could drain away. We had a bit of the Dorset and Somerset Canal, including the 'acky-ducky', at Coleford, but it was abandoned before it was completed.

An old post but towpaths were almost always on the downhill side of canals because the extra earthworks associated with them added strength to the canal and reduced the likelihood of leaks and bursts.

I stopped bothering to mill the rails - it just took too long, and the groove looked like worn plate rails. The chassis started out as a Dapol 45XX, the body was used for my 2mm project, this chassis was then spare.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Progress has been slow, but I've made a new tender chassis for the steam loco, incorporating split axle pickups, and not I've been building the tunnel mouth. Railwells is only just over a month away!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I slapped a bit of brown/red paint over the cardboard to bring it together and took it to Railwells.

The reaction I got I couldn't believe, I was talking non-stop all weekend. It certainly encouraged me to carry on with it - and I've been invited back next year!

IMG_0314.JPG.aff3b55ac18c0b16d23daacbb59395b7.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

• Like 8