Preserved stations - which ones feel most "real"?

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

The GGR is a funny little railway, bursting with its own character.  In its short length the scenery changes from the lush glen into dramatic cliffs, and it's a 1 in 33 gradient to get up there!

attachicon.gifP1110396s.jpg

attachicon.gifP1110468s.jpg

attachicon.gifP1110356-2.jpg

Laxey MER station looking atmospheric

attachicon.gif1.JPG

Neil,

What on earth is that in the third picture, not the diesel, I have been pulled by that?

My goodness you'll be wanting one that's all overgrown, has a derelict vandalized building and a bus shelter next, oh yes and none of the trains actually stop  :jester:

Yes, they wrecked Crowcombe, by putting in a signal box, signalling, and repairing the station building, doesn't it look so much better in this 1978 picture.....

Not sure what happened to the bus shelter.

post-7177-0-88073100-1494863628_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Neil,

What on earth is that in the third picture, not the diesel, I have been pulled by that?

That's the 'Steamplex'.  It belongs to my best mate (sitting on it there) who I also work with.  It is a Motor-rail Simplex with the diesel engine thrown away, a launch boiler and single cylinder engine fitted in its place!  The loudest engine on the island, she really barks.  It was recently at the Ffestiniog Quirks & Curiosities gala, where attempts to make it pull rather too much bent the crankshaft.  Not to worry, we're working on a twin cylinder version now - with almost 4 times the power.  It always was very over-boilered!  I was supposed to be there driving too but I also bent my crankshaft - or my foot anyway!

post-10195-0-14930100-1494864620_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That's the 'Steamplex'.  It belongs to my best mate (sitting on it there) who I also work with.  It is a Motor-rail Simplex with the diesel engine thrown away, a launch boiler and single cylinder engine fitted in its place!  The loudest engine on the island, she really barks.  It was recently at the Ffestiniog Quirks & Curiosities gala, where attempts to make it pull rather too much bent the crankshaft.  Not to worry, we're working on a twin cylinder version now - with almost 4 times the power.  It always was very over-boilered!  I was supposed to be there driving too but I also bent my crankshaft - or my foot anyway!

attachicon.gifP1110343s.jpg

That is completely barmy!

You take care with your foot, yes, I saw the picture in another topic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is completely barmy!

You take care with your foot, yes, I saw the picture in another topic.

Good, innit (not my foot!).  I love driving it, completely different to driving Sea Lion or Annie.

Lhen Coan on our Victorian Day - I was Guard that day, second from the left.  Looks pretty 'real' ?

post-10195-0-82099500-1494868943_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good, innit (not my foot!).  I love driving it, completely different to driving Sea Lion or Annie.

Lhen Coan on our Victorian Day - I was Guard that day, second from the left.  Looks pretty 'real' ?

attachicon.gif13227029_10153416717257260_2157814264244270278_n.jpg

Certainly does - complete with appropriate facial expressions!

Phil

It's nice to find a station where, when there are no trains about, all you can hear is the sound of distant birdsong. To sit on a platform seat nearby to a signal-box where occasionally the 'call attention' breaks the peace, and a series of rings on the instrument bell sounds, and is answered, followed by the noise of levers being 'thrown' - heaven. :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The most atmospheric station Ive been to for "noises off" was actually Bodmin Road (sorry, Parkway) coming back from Cornwall late afternoon out of season with the dusk falling. There's a lot of woodland around there and very few houses, and waiting for the train all you could hear was owls hooting in the surrounding trees.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Certainly does - complete with appropriate facial expressions!

Phil

Yes, Alex, the guy on the right is the head of the 'Disney' department (local radio manager and theatre type) really likes us to play the part on these days.  For the photo which as you can see was staged to celebrate our 120th anniversary he insisted we look stern and Victorian. 

I wouldn't fare dodge, my jacket is ex-job sergeant, and my raincoat for such days was pinched off my Inspector!

No prizes for my nomination. I have spent a lot of time at Carrog this year, not amongst tourists, but as a bloke just taking measurements. Alone on the platform and totally oblivious to time and day, a DMU quietly rolled in from Corwen and a handful of passengers not dressed in gaudy colours alighted for a cuppa in the tearoom. Eventually, the guard waved his flag and the Unit went on its way. It mattered not that the blue DMU was out of period; This little episode brought back a Cameo of past experiences. I just had to watch.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It's nice to find a station where, when there are no trains about, all you can hear is the sound of distant birdsong. To sit on a platform seat nearby to a signal-box where occasionally the 'call attention' breaks the peace, and a series of rings on the instrument bell sounds, and is answered, followed by the noise of levers being 'thrown' - heaven. :sungum:

That's what makes Goathland special for my wife and I - we love just spending the early evening when we are up there on holiday watching the last service train go south to Pickering and then hanging on to see the evening diner also going through about an hour and a bit later. doesn't matter if the last service isn't steam. Have loved it since being a volunteer with NYMR and staying over night there in the 70s.

Edited by john new
  • Like 2

I'm like Larry and will say (one of) my favourite stations, which is Highley. A wonderful signal box where a relative works at (the signal box also has its own friendly robin who likes to watch the proceedings from an engineers trolley in the rear siding), nice station building, regular squawks from the bird life in the woods, a great pub hardly 50 yards down the hill from the station and the peace and quiet you get from the site of a former colliery. What's not to like?*

*Other than no phone signal!

• Like 2

Horsted Keynes is awesome in size, and the subway between platforms is just as dank as a real station.

The story behind it, according to one of the old boys there, is that it was built with an eye to future development in the area (houses, workplaces) which never happened.  It's always been a huge station serving nothing in particular.

• Like 2

Another vote here for Staverton on the SDR. It's an extremely pleasant place to sit and pass the time, especially if you've just worked in on an auto and are waiting for a few through trains to go by before returning.

Bewdley too is a great place to go. In a perfect world the branch towards Hartlebury would be reconstructed to make it a proper junction station again.

• Like 2

A couple of "left field" suggestions.

1. East Tanfield on the Tanfield Railway. Not really a "station" but a single platform with a short bay and a run round loop and weed grown sidings.

2. Aysgarth Station (Wensleydale Railway), just need to put the track back!

Although not old enough to remember working steam there are a few stations I would mention as providing lovely peace and tranquility. I often visit lines midweek during the summer and many intermediate stations on the Severn Valley tick the boxes. Highley used to be my favourite as a quiet, unspoilt station where you could snatch some sanctuary. I remember sitting there one early evening as the only passenger awaiting the final Bridgnorth bound service. The train arrived behind Black 5 45110, running boiler first and slightly weathered. As drifted into view around the bend of the station I did feel I like I had been transported back in time. Now the station is much busier due to the Engine House museum that those peaceful moments are not really possible. I do still like to stop off there and visit the museum though.

Bewdley used to be another favourite. I often would stop off for lunch and spend the 90 minute break between trains by sitting on a platform bench with a book or a magazine - again a very peaceful and relaxing time. Likewise Arley can also provide that tranquility with a stroll down to the village or the pub an option on a decent day.

On other railways I will also throw in Levisham as a relaxed spot. Goathland is nice too but is just so busy these days.

• Like 1

On a gala day, Swanage is very much a bustling seaside terminus.

Not the near silent idyll, but pretty authentic.

If you want a silent idyll then you'll want to go to Newtondale Halt on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Inaccessible by road and a great place for walkers!

If you want a silent idyll then you'll want to go to Newtondale Halt on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Inaccessible by road and a great place for walkers!

Definitely a lovely place, just watch out for the adders!

On a gala day, Swanage is very much a bustling seaside terminus.

But there again, as a seaside holiday line, it shouldn't be quiet. What made it for me on the first day of running from Corfe Castle were the number of kiddies bucket 'n' spades on the coach window tables, - back to a 1950's holiday line.  

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

But there again, as a seaside holiday line, it shouldn't be quiet. What made it for me on the first day of running from Corfe Castle were the number of kiddies bucket 'n' spades on the coach window tables, - back to a 1950's holiday line.

Exactly. It feels "real" for what it is.