Preserved stations - which ones feel most "real"?

Nearholmer

Sparked by a discussion in another thread, I was mildly moaning that most preserved railway stations don't actually capture the atmosphere of stations "back in the day", because they have, necessarily, been developed, amended, had stonking great workshops built in the goods yard, had a large car park tacked-on etc.

This is not to extend the moan, because I genuinely understand why all these things are necessary; it is to ask which ones do actually capture the atmosphere.

Where can you sit on s station bench, and have nothing, or almost nothing, around you, to confirm that it is 2017, rather than, say, 1957, or 1937?

I'll start the bidding with Carrog, which I thought was really very "real", and Kingscote.

Arley certainly was, until a few years back, but the most recent time that I went there it seemed to have lost the essence. Horsted Keynes is very, very close, but has the great big carriage Works to contend with.

Your nominations?

Kevin

(IoMR and SMR ...... are they preserved? Or, are they nationalised railways operating to legacy standards? I ask, because Ronaldsway Halt is rather timeless.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In the early preservation days when I used to go around a few places Hampton Loade was always one I thought was a nice wayside station. Oakworth was another. Don't know what either are like now. More recently I've been visiting the East Lancs where Summerseat is one of my favourite spots. Levisham on the NYMR is another one I visit when I'm on the mountain bike trips up there.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

Newby Bridge Halt on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite, Not much has changed since to 1940's according to my dad apart from the signage, a lick of paint, and a shelter! O and trains stop there again

Ian

I'll add weight to Kingscote! Especially when the goods yard is cleared up.

I love spending time at Staverton on the SDR as well, especially during the beer festival! The station itself is relatively unchanged, just a little too much stock.

Goathland is still pretty remarkable as well.

Horsed Keynes on a winter evening looking across to platform one from platform five can be very evocative especially when you can hear a locomotive working up towards the station. I have to say that I often feel a bit sad about the necessary development – I'm not convinced it's always done that well but that has to be down to cost of course.

I want the heritage railways to have hidden storage sidings!

• RMweb Premium

Cheers for those. Being too young to have known the "traditional" station I've always wondered a bit, and I'm never sure that photos really give you the feel. I've been to a couple of the ones mentioned so far, Carrog and Bury Bolton Street. I found Carrog a charming place, and Bury Bolton Street interestingly different from your typical preserved railway thanks to being a town centre station, although I'm guessing that the car park is former goods yard.

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Gold

Ashey, Isle of Wight.

Fair play to IoWSR, they've left it pretty much alone. The main building is still in private hands, so it's a single platform. I've sat in quiet solitude, just listening to the rookery in the trees behind.

Well recommended escape.

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

We have spent many an afternoon at Horsted Keynes, mid-week when no-one is around is lovely.... looking across the Platforms or facing North. I would rather be here than Kingscote to be honest!

Elsewhere, Blue Anchor is a typical GWR passing place... or for something different, try Dolgoch Falls or Rhydyronen both at the Talyllyn Railway.

Weybourne on the NNR works for me. Helped, no doubt, by the fact that it's in the proverbial "middle of nowhere" and, as was common, is quite remote even to the village it was built to serve. Sadly, when sitting on the platform watching the world go slowly by, the view only really works in one direction. Turn around and you do have the sprawl of the shed and workshops which do look decidedly out of place in their surroundings. Sat looking west = bygone age. Sat looking east = yep, 20th century preserved railway for sure. I guess Weybourne only scores 50%, but I still like it.

post-17811-0-12296600-1494569372.jpg

© Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence.

• Like 1