Halts in all their glory

Here are my nominations from around these parts

Foley Park Halt on the SVR between Kidderminster and Bewdley. If I've done this right here is a link to a picture:

http://www.rcts.org.uk/cache/photographs/mystery/Y-73-33.780.jpg

and also nearby Burlish Halt between Hartlebury and Stourport:

http://www.rcts.org.uk/cache/photographs/mystery/Y-90-18A.780.jpg.

Andy

• Like 3

Well, I have just popped in at two in passing, the first of which was certainly in all its glory: Snowdon Ranger, and Pont Croesor, on the Welsh Highland.

Tomorrow is the day for riding the line, but the weather is forecast 'terrible', so I thought I'd take the snaps while it isn't.

post-26817-0-35609000-1496605980_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-09208300-1496605996_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-20737900-1496606009_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

No need to apologise, unless you are in charge of the weather ....... you're not, are you? 'Cos if you are ........

To get sky effect: point mobile phone directly at the sun, unable to see what is on the screen, invoke good spirits, and press the button. It works every 127th time!

K

Edited by Nearholmer

A few pictures of mine from 1982, having had my memory jogged by Nick. They were taken while I was doing a six weekly check of all the Emergency Telephones between Ore and Winchelsea. If you didn't know where they were at Doleham and Three Oaks they could be a devil to find, as the undergrowth would hide them extremely well.

post-31978-0-35023100-1496682380_thumb.jpg

Three Oaks looking towards Rye. At this time the former Up Platform was still in situ. Note the Marker Lights at the ends of the platforms inside metal cages. These were oil lamps, changed once a week by the Lampman based at West St. Leonards. The lights at each end of the platform were the only lights at the station until fairly recently. No Lar-dee-dar Electrickery here. Only problem with the oil lamps was that the local children would try and push them over by poking a stick through the cage. These were kept padlocked, and in later times someone has tried at least once to super-glue the padlocks!!!

post-31978-0-41769900-1496682821_thumb.jpg

From the other side of Butchers Lane bridge at Three Oaks, the DEMU to Hastings had just departed, so not much chance of another train coming for a while.

post-31978-0-13194200-1496682978_thumb.jpg

Doleham looking towards Rye. In the late 80s the shelter was taken over by a Tramp, who was often referred to as, Station Master, Doleham!

post-31978-0-44397700-1496683119_thumb.jpg

Winchelsea, looking towards Rye. The station had been unstaffed for many years, although the station buildings have been in almost constant private occupation since. The Open Crossing here has been the scene of numerous accidents with trains running into cars. Finally, about three years ago the crossing has now been re-gated (barriers). In this picture I had got off an Ashford bound train and begun my walk back to Ore. Unfortunately I couldn't find my picture of Snailham Halt, not that much was left there, just the Farm Crossing.

post-31978-0-84224100-1496683452_thumb.jpg

During a similar phone checking mission I took this picture at what was Mountfield Halt, between Battle and Robertsbridge. Having had wooden platforms, and closed in 1969, nothing much remained, however, over on the right tucked away behind the grass, lay half a damaged running in sign with 'Mountf' on it. It was quite badly bent and chipped. It disappeared some years later, to where I do not know. Note at this time, 1982, the Tonbridge to Hastings Line had yet to be electrified, Battle Road crossing on the A2100 just beyond.

More memories coming back,

Andy.

• Like 10

Brilliant!

I tried to find Mountfield Halt when I was working on the electrification project, but was never quite sure I'd identified the location correctly.

Just up the line was the scene of one of the accidental badger culls that occurred when we first energised the conductor rails - unknown to anyone, the line was crossed in a few places by long-established badger paths, and a few brocks perished before special gaps were cut in the con rails to allow them to go about their business safely.

Brilliant!

I tried to find Mountfield Halt when I was working on the electrification project, but was never quite sure I'd identified the location correctly.

Just up the line was the scene of one of the accidental badger culls that occurred when we first energised the conductor rails - unknown to anyone, the line was crossed in a few places by long-established badger paths, and a few brocks perished before special gaps were cut in the con rails to allow them to go about their business safely.

Remember the furore over the cooked badgers.

Looking at the picture there used to be a small two storey Crossing Keepers cottage on the North side of the road roughly in line where the raised crossing boom can be seen. Attached to this was a small lean-to shed and at one time you could buy tickets there. I knew one of the local signalmen who was one of the last Crossing Keepers at Battle Road. He would often recount stories of his days there and the windy rainy nights sloshing around to open and shut the gates by hand. (And the one occasion he didn't quite make it and a train took the gates with it). By 1982 the Crossing had just a very draughty plastic porta cabin in place of the house, a ghastly place to find yourself stationed during periods when the barriers had to be on manual control!

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Snowdon Ranger again.

Rained-on (torrentially, all day) Ranger might be more appropriate today.

The sky effects are only so so this time, I'm afraid. Still, big day today, davexoc has given us a preview, here's the news item clip:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-gloucestershire-40158494/renovated-gloucestershire-warwickshire-steam-railway-station-opens

Edit: credit where it's due, His Nibs, Lord Wemyss of nearby Stanway Hall, did the honours.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

With the Doleham Halt picture taken looking toward Rye, if you backtrack the other way towards Hastings around 300 yards, there's a small crossing where a footpath goes over the track. This is of interest because the boundary posts are supported by lengths of the original 1850s rail, although maybe the institute of metallurgy may have had them to study since I've seen them.

• RMweb Gold

You have already shown Aspley Guise and Bow Brickhill on the Marston Vale Line but I thought that one more pic on that line may not hurt especially as it was taken quite a few years ago. 

It is Stewartby when the brick works was still in full action - late 80s? There are seats but no shelter at all.

Edit:

I note, looking at Google Earth, that the righthand (from Bedford) platform has now moved completely to the other side of the road crossing. Presumably so stopping trains clear the crossing more quickly?

I left Bedfordshre 15 years ago. Do the Binliners (or equivalent) still run to Stewartby?

post-8314-0-01741000-1496744028_thumb.jpg

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I note, looking at Google Earth, that the righthand (from Bedford) platform has now moved completely to the other side of the road crossing. Presumably so stopping trains clear the crossing more quickly?

I left Bedfordshre 15 years ago. Do the Binliners (or equivalent) still run to Stewartby?

Yes the platform was moved so the crossing cleared quicker.

If you meant the Brent/Cricklewood binliners I don't think they do run anymore, although there are other spoli trains seen on the route. I don't get over that way that often now as work doesn't take me that way.

With the Doleham Halt picture taken looking toward Rye, if you backtrack the other way towards Hastings around 300 yards, there's a small crossing where a footpath goes over the track. This is of interest because the boundary posts are supported by lengths of the original 1850s rail, although maybe the institute of metallurgy may have had them to study since I've seen them.

That would be this one ?

post-31978-0-35470100-1496752703_thumb.jpgpost-31978-0-39841100-1496752716_thumb.jpgpost-31978-0-59242400-1496752727_thumb.jpgpost-31978-0-65605000-1496752742_thumb.jpg

Nice six mile circular walk to be had here, still do it quite regularly.

Andy.

• Like 5

I suspect that my 'halt of the day' is actually a fake, being in a childrens' playground, but the sign may come from a real, but temporary, one; W&LLR fans will doubtless be able to enlighten us.

It makes me think of a bearded Druid, standing amid a raging torrent, staff held aloft, emulating Canute.

post-26817-0-60976300-1496762466_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

WP_20170604_13_34_13_Pro.jpg

Another one from Lincolnshire, this is Ulceby which is a station on the Barton Upon Humber branch, but is probably better known for its traffic to and from Immingham. 

I really like the way that this station has had its platform raised and then extended at the Immingham end. Behind the current fence line are the original Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway railings fast disappearing into the undergrowth. There is a gap in the railings where the station building once stood, but no trace of the old down platform.

The state of the art signals make a nice contrast as well.

• Like 7

Ace thread!

post-4032-0-69263900-1496907367_thumb.jpg

Here's Berney Arms again, on the Norwich-Gt Yarmouth line. I don't think you can get there by road.  I scanned this from an old print, took it about 1980 I think while on a Broads boat trip.

post-4032-0-34791200-1496907409_thumb.jpg

This is what was coming along the line next.

Went past Berney Arms again last year while on a trip to travel on the 37 class hauled trains that were running from Norwich to Gt Yarmouth - they went via Acle so we did this line on a 153 to get to Yarmouth to start.

• Like 7

In have just found mention of another local one with no pictures or links (except to state between which stations it was when it opened and closed) and that is Rifle Range Halt, between Kidderminster and Bewdley on what is now the SVR

Hard to pin down except is was on the Rifle Range, (An area of Kidderminster retains this name but is no longer a rifle range, although some parts feel like it) but I think it was somewhere just before the SVR trains passes the WM Safari Park coming from the Kidderminster direction, in fact the other side of the tunnel from Foley park Halt mentioned earlier. It closed in 1920. 

Then of course a bit further along the SVR there is Northwood Halt

http://www.svrwiki.com/Northwood_Halt

and the new one at the Severn Valley Country Park

http://www.svrwiki.com/Country_Park_Halt

Andy