The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Are Planning Regs fit for purpose.

Loconuts

Out of the back of my house, Persimmon are building an estate of 47 houses (they originally tried to get 97 on the same plot of land) and they are offering semis where the total internal width of the house, including the staircase, is less than 12', certainly not huge and barely enough room to swing the proverbial...

John

That's a ongoing problem, when they do build smaller houses they go for something toytown in dimensions. There is a national space standard but its hardly worth the paper its written on as it was probably designed in consultation with Redrow etc . I bet elsewhere on the estate their are huge 4 and 5 bed houses occupying most of their plot and a saleman scratching their head wondering why they selling slowly - hint mr salesman, go out of you site drive a few miles into the countryside and its surrounding village and you will find better built 4/5 bed properties with far larger grounds for the same or less than you are trying to screw someone for.

• RMweb Premium

Also appeal in buying a new house on the assumption it isn't going to have heaven knows what problems from what lazy cost-cutting builders got up to 150 years ago, not to mention the efffects of age on top of that, and those being the deciding factors.

I've no doubt that this definitely does NOT apply to Crispy, but there's plenty of cr@p workmanship new-builds going up every day.  Personally I'd think hard about buying a new build - I'd rather wait 2 or 3 years to let the structure settle a bit and for the first owners to sort the problems :)

I recall my brother buying a fairly "exec-style" new house - after a year or so the developers came round to do the snagging; the builder commented that the house must've been a "winter house" (i.e. built in the winter) - he was right.  The reason?  Those built in the summer apparently cracked a lot more (plaster, ceilings etc.) cos' the hot weather dried them out too quick, apparently.  Even so, my brother's place had a very noticeable crack right across the ceiling of the large thru' lounge that would've driven me nuts if I'd lived there.  He chose not to have it sorted cos' they didn't want the upheaval and mess of having the ceiling fixed/replastered etc. etc.