Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Street furniture - road signs, traffic lights etc

I'm looking to populate a present-day street scene. Not with people, but with the mundane everyday objects that are often overlooked.

The layout is European outline HO, but obviously these details could be relevant to OO as well. For bus shelters, litter bins etc etc, I've found Kibri and Auhagen to be well worth a look, but I have drawn a blank with the following...

Overhead "gantry" style road signs and traffic light poles similar to those shown below. The traffic lights don't need to be working, as the aspects will face away from the viewer. If anyone knows of a source, please do let me know.

post-17811-0-41488000-1495442693.jpg

post-17811-0-59591700-1495442699.jpg

Prob just as quick to build them from Evergreen or Plastruct section?

...don't think it hadn't occurred to me, but it's Monday and for now, I'm in "lazy" mode. If I can't source anything readymade by say, Thursday, plastic section it will have to be!

I'm looking to populate a present-day street scene. Not with people, but with the mundane everyday objects that are often overlooked.

The layout is European outline HO, but obviously these details could be relevant to OO as well. For bus shelters, litter bins etc etc, I've found Kibri and Auhagen to be well worth a look, but I have drawn a blank with the following...

Overhead "gantry" style road signs and traffic light poles similar to those shown below. The traffic lights don't need to be working, as the aspects will face away from the viewer. If anyone knows of a source, please do let me know.

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gifcb_signalmast_marktkauf_l_06.jpg

Hi signs like the top one are made by Summit Cuts in the USA. HO of course.

those 3D printed ones are very nice, and are not just for the rich. Unless you have a lot of plastruct already, then buying all the different sizes, does cost money. Then there is the time, how long. I reckon you should add £20 per hour to get fair comparison, and then you might still not get somethingyo like. Also you can paint the WSF plastic with ANY water based paint. It can be sanded down easily, but with care on small parts.

. Then there is the time, how long. I reckon you should add £20 per hour to get fair comparison

Seems a little perverse​ to cost your leisure time spent enjoying a hobby or past-time particularly if not doing it as a business. That'd be like costing/charging time spent watching a film or TV.

;-)

G

Thanks guys. I genuinely hadn't thought of looking at Shapeways. I've only ever purchased one 3D-printed item. It was quite some time ago and it arrived looking like it had been dipped in PVA and sprinkled with caster sugar. I no doubt chose the wrong material but the intricate detail proved almost impossible to sand smooth. I'm sure things are very different now. Worth a look, thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...