Wheels identification

Six wheels from Ebay, suggested by cheeky seller that they are Ultrascale brand, but they are steel tyred, therefore not Ultrascale, so should be Alan Gibson's, the diameter in the listing is vague at 20/22, but Gibson list 20.8mm with bevel edge for LMS class 4, which sounds right, but are there any other makes.

Nice cheap set anyway!

post-6750-0-29244600-1495625051_thumb.jpg

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Six wheels from Ebay, suggested by cheeky seller that they are Ultrascale brand, but they are steel tyred, therefore not Ultrascale, so should be Alan Gibson's, the diameter in the listing is vague at 20/22, but Gibson list 20.8mm with bevel edge for LMS class 4, which sounds right, but are there any other makes.

Nice cheap set anyway!

attachicon.gifs-l1600 gibson.jpg

Stephen

Sharman?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I had thought about Sharman, but it is so long since they were made now that I had discounted them...but may be. I think Mike rounded the back of most spokes, so will check when here. I dislike steel tyres, but at the price they were cheap.( £1.66 each) The only ones I would dread to get cheap would be S Poole's aluminium tyred wheels!

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Definitely Gibson but if they are old ones (pre Colin Seymour) the tyres may fall off. Sharman always had crankpin screws moulded in and the tyre undercut for the plastic to mould into - this meant that the tyres couldn't come off but unfortunately didn't leave enough steel outside the plastic moulding to skim them true.

Any loose rims can be refitted with epoxy and the centre re-bored to take a sleeve if inaccurate, as I have collet step chucks that cover all sizes in a Lorch lathe, which can grip the tyre or flange whilst the centre is checked or bored out. Most Gibson are accurate anyway and all Ultrascale are.

I tend to grab what's going on ebay wheels nowadays, as it saves a fortune, or saves months of waiting for the Ultrascale wheels.

Even got sets of coach wheels by Ultrascale on Ebay recently, superbly accurate rims and axles.

Stephen

Definitely Gibson but if they are old ones (pre Colin Seymour) the tyres may fall off. Sharman always had crankpin screws moulded in and the tyre undercut for the plastic to mould into - this meant that the tyres couldn't come off but unfortunately didn't leave enough steel outside the plastic moulding to skim them true.

Mike Sharman's wheels were pretty accurate anyway, but I had some that rusted right through the tyre into the undercut! The steel he used must have been plainest mild steel, no rust resistance at all. Current Gibson are OK, they can be cleaned and treated with phosphoric acid baths to stop any rust, at least for a reasonable time.

Archived