Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What do you do with your boxes?

• RMweb Premium

When not running my trains I keep them in their original boxes. Really most of mine are boxed from 1974. Some were given from parents and relatives who are now gone. So unboxing them to run them is a reminder of the nice people that gave them to me and happy memories of receiving them for the first time. For that reason while I might posses the latest version of a model, the old ones are never replaced. So although I have a Bachmann black 9f , my original 1974 Hornby Railways one still gets much use.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I keep boxes. For one thing it is the best and easiest way to keep models securely stored when not in use or if you have to move. For another it does make a difference if you decide to have a bit of a springclean to recycle some of the stuff you no longer use so much (or even have lost interest in) for new items, it's easy to dismiss this but if you have the boxes and keep them in good order you'll get a lot more for them. And lastly, call me sad but I actually like the boxes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sort of on the other end of this, in that I like oldish models, and am bordering on being a collector (I would probably cross the border, if I could afford to).

While I wouldn't fork out lots of extra money for a boxed item, just because of the box, it seems to be the case that old things with boxes are usually in better condition than old things without; they have generally been used less or cared for better. And, some of the boxes have a story to tell: I have a 1930s loco in a box that has the name and address of the original owner pencilled inside, which I think adds to the charm. But, unless kept in very good conditions, boxes start to disintegrate by c80 years anyway, and barely any of the true ancients, from pre-WW1 is still living in its original box.

So ......, I know not how to advise buyers of modern products.

Apart from a few true rarities that are of genuinely good quality, few toy trains do better than maintain value in real terms, and most lose value. Ordinary HD or Wrenn in nearly new condition is about the same price in real terms as it was when made; we just tend to forget how blooming expensive good toy trains were until about thirty years ago! In the long run, it will be the nature and condition of the thing inside the box, rather than the box, in most cases, that will tip the monetary scales.

Kevin

Your last paragraph, whilst true to a degree, ignores the fact that the amount of fragile detail incorporated into todays model locos means that, other than those kept boxed by collectors (and those who don't use them much), very few will remain 100% intact.

Those that do may well end up being considerably more scarce than (for instance) most Wrenn locos.

It is also the case that some items produced relatively recently change hands at significant premia. Hornby Bulleid Light Pacifics, even the relatively common early releases (Blackmoor Vale, Wilton,Tangmere and 92 Squadron), already appear regularly in Hatton's Pre-owned section for almost double what they cost when new, and seldom linger there for long.  Almost nothing commands a premium of less than 50%, even the comparatively unwanted Malachite ones. The vast majority offered come in their original boxes and the lack of one generally seems to knock the price by £15 or £20. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The fragility point is a good one. I hope to goodness that they don't all decompose to a sort of post-plastic mush, with the packing merging with the contents!

Rambling off a bit, I think that short-term collectability and long-term collectability will probably prove to be very different things. Short-term I suspect to be driven, at least partly, by people simply looking for a particular loco/coach appropriate to their layout, and a good deal of personal nostalgia. Long-term, who knows? There is so much product being provided now that it is hard to guess what will become sought-after once the personal nostalgia candle has burned down to a stub. My money would be on the very-premium-priced brass models, not the plastic ones.

I'm thinking along the lines of bin the smaller boxes as my layout is in the loft, along with other held in storage items from the house, so it's becoming rather tight for space in general and making it harder should I need to go under to sort electrics or fit point motors.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A lot of mine (HAA & 16t minerals) have been sent for re-cycling. I guess that anyone wanting to buy 30+ weathered wagons won't be too bothered about lack of individual boxes.

Otherwise, my stock is loosely allocated to different trains and stored in foam lined stock boxes appropriately. The RTR boxes are flat-packed and tied into groups to match the contents of each stock box. Hopefully it'll make re-uniting boxes with stock when I pop my clogs a little easier.

Loco's not currently in use get stored in their original boxes.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• Like 1

I was inspired by this thread to take action this weekend; since I am limited in the space I have it is no longer viable to keep the boxes for everything. So I'm clearing out the boxes from my flat and those stored in the loft, starting with the boxes for small wagons. It's a slower process than I'd like as I've also taken the opportunity to update my stock list and make sure I've logged all my stock. I'm also checking each box for any detail parts that need to be fitted, I've also got to weather my wagons so there's no point keeping the box as nothing will be in mint condition eventually.

Plastic went in the bin, card in the recycling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Each 'layout ready' loco has it's own Dalerboard box specially built (by me). The loco sits on a card cradle within, which has paper sides, the tops of which are used to lift the loco out of the main box. Each paper side has bits of foam padding attached to correspond with suitable parts of the loco, so that when the whole thing is inside the main box, the foam holds the loco in place. A bit of foam on the lid of the box ensures that there is absolutely no movement possible when the box is sealed up (with a high-tech elastic band).

I'm curious as to how you have constructed your boxes. Do you have any photos of them?

Edited by Kylestrome

Going slightly off the thread I wish I kept the boxes of all those airfix kits I made especially the Ray Cross artwork ones, I've still the boxes of the airfix Esso tank wagon and others and have flattened them ( it's easy the folds are still there), and mounted them in a picture frame.

I believe the artwork for early "Tamiya" 1/35 scale tanks fetches a high price in Japan

• RMweb Premium

The fragility point is a good one. I hope to goodness that they don't all decompose to a sort of post-plastic mush, with the packing merging with the contents!

Rambling off a bit, I think that short-term collectability and long-term collectability will probably prove to be very different things. Short-term I suspect to be driven, at least partly, by people simply looking for a particular loco/coach appropriate to their layout, and a good deal of personal nostalgia. Long-term, who knows? There is so much product being provided now that it is hard to guess what will become sought-after once the personal nostalgia candle has burned down to a stub. My money would be on the very-premium-priced brass models, not the plastic ones.

I think the key to enjoyable collecting (I'll admit to being a collector) is to collect what you love for the joy your collection gives you. If your collection appreciates then all well and good, if it ends up pretty much worthless you still have something you love.

I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to the monetary side of model trains as my expectation is that over the next 10 - 20 years the S/H market will see a regular stream of models coming onto the market simply as a result of demographics. At one time a lot of people had no idea that these things might be worth a few quid when clearing estates but now everybody can go onto EBay and get an idea for what things might fetch. I think a combination of this change, the availability of so many nice models and a high likelihood of a smaller number of modellers and collectors will mean that prices will be low.

I think the current high demand and prices for many recent models will not last and collecting hobbies are notorious for generating bubbles which can collapse very quickly (in some cases overnight). Predicting what models might appreciate is a bit like predicting the price of anything else, I think the price is what it is and the only price that matters if you do want to sell something is what somebody is willing to pay. Brass models are a sub-set of the model train hobby with their own (dedicated) devotees, but it is a tiny hobby and you can pick up some lovely brass models for surprisingly modest prices. I love brass models and collect HO brass and I've picked up some beautiful mint condition brass models for little more than the equivalent model in plastic (admittedly that is comparing old with new so not a particularly meaningful comparison). I love the craftsmanship and presence of brass but running brass is not for the feint hearted as they're not known for great running qualities and reliability.

• RMweb Gold

That was always so, even in comparison with pre-war Hornby and Basset Lowke.

But the interesting thing now is that locos are being produced in such tiny numbers compared with even ten years ago.

I wouldn't mind betting that all the newer (loco-driven) Hornby Britannias added together don't get anywhere near the total number of Tri-ang R.259s produced and it's quite possible that the same might apply to all the New Hornby spam cans vs. the Tri-ang Winston Churchill .  

I think the Bulleid prices are largely driven by supply and demand (especially of the rebuilt locos) but also that the smart collectors (who naturally want a full set) are buying up what they need while they are relatively easy to find. They might be building up caches of swap fodder, too; I suspect that, five years down the road, todays prices will seem quite tame.

Although I'm not a "completist", I have bought up three that I spotted (two that I missed when originally released and one with the combination of features I want for a particular renaming), at what I considered fairly chunky prices, but which, even 12 to 18 months later, seem very reasonable!

One each came from Rails, Hatton's and a local swap-meet trader and all within +/- £10 of one another, which suggests that everyone has roughly the same idea of the achievable price spread.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Hello.

I keep all of my boxes - both for storage of items not in use and for use as packaging either when moving home or (occasionally) selling on excess items.

Something that I've found is that the card boxes for Graham Farish N gauge stock, both Poole and Bachmann items, stack really well in the boxes that 5 reams of A4 paper come in.

Using a standard length box, such as a bogie coach or wagon comes in, you can put 3 length ways and 2 across the end. Then put one on its side next to the 3 and put the next 3 on top of the first 3, so 7 make up 2 rows. If you stack up enough rows, the space in the corner next to the 2 across the end can accommodate 2 boxes standing on end. The boxes for the short wheel base wagons are half the length of the others, so they can stack as well. Some of the other Farish boxes are multiples of the length or height so can participate too.

Plus the A4 paper boxes stack well too.

A picture might explain it better, but I don't have one to hand.

Only potential disadvantage is that the (A4 paper) boxes are card rather than something more substantial, but in my case they have followed me in shipping containers around the world without any problems. I also accumulated the A4 paper boxes since the 1990s, when they were a little more substantial than some of the "one journey only" boxes that I see today. Decent boxes can still be found though, I guess it depends on who the paper supplier is.

The A3 paper boxes are not quite as good - the height (only 3 reams) isn't a good multiple for N gauge boxes, but for some boxes that are too big for the A4 box are useful too, plus stack well with each other and the A4 boxes.

Perhaps these would work for other scales too - wonder if a OO box is twice the length, width, and depth of the equivalent N gauge model.

Hope this helps.

I was inspired by this thread to take action this weekend; since I am limited in the space I have it is no longer viable to keep the boxes for everything. So I'm clearing out the boxes from my flat and those stored in the loft, starting with the boxes for small wagons. It's a slower process than I'd like as I've also taken the opportunity to update my stock list and make sure I've logged all my stock. I'm also checking each box for any detail parts that need to be fitted, I've also got to weather my wagons so there's no point keeping the box as nothing will be in mint condition eventually.

Plastic went in the bin, card in the recycling.

At the moment boxes are selling on eBay for anything up to £15 each for ordinary current Hornby locos (not Limited Editions or anything special). Just a point of interest.

Edited by Forester

Many years ago (40'ish?) I had a few Hornby Dublo and Triang boxes that I 'acquired' somehow and put them on the club exhibition sales stand.  How everyone laughed!  After the show the laugh was on them as they sold very quickly and at a good price.  That taught me a lesson - everything has its price.

Now these were - in today's parlance - collector's items.  Back then they were just 'old'.  I wonder if the Airfix, Mainline, Triang-Hornby boxes now command a similar desirability.

If so, I'm a Millionaire Rodney!