The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

US Navy and some problems they face

Ohmisterporter

Something like 30% of the complement of the USS Kidd (95 cases) are now infected with COVID-19.

The USN has now stopped daily reports.

Separately, the USN is considering reinstating the commander of CVN-71, the USS Theodore Roosevelt, who had been dismissed by a now resigned, acting secretary of the Navy. CVN-71 saw 24% of her crew infected.

• Informative/Useful 1

One presumes, that the USN will do a full anti-body test onboard USS Kidd.  Would help determine % who don't get COVID in close quarters, and % who are asymtomatic fairly conclusively...

Fair winds, my fellow sailors.

James

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An article from The Drive/The Warzone with comparisons between the USN Ford and Nimitz class aircraft carriers. The bridge position is very noticeable. Hope you find this of interest. 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33858/these-shots-of-ford-class-and-nimitz-class-carriers-side-by-side-offer-best-comparison-yet

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, 30851 said:

Major fire today in one of their amphibious assault ships (USS Bonhomme Richard) while in San Diego for repairs

Started on Sunday. Still burning as of Monday night. The forward mast / radar tower has collapsed. USN still believes the hull can be saved.

Fire suppression was disabled during repairs.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve never sailed on, or visited a US warship but I HAVE seen RN ships, and I have quite a lot of experience of US construction vessels. I can’t really envisage how any meaningful separation, “social distancing”, call it what you like, could be practiced amongst such a large complement, in such a confined space. Warships are designed so that people share accommodation and live and work in close quarters, that’s just how it is. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I’ve never sailed on, or visited a US warship but I HAVE seen RN ships, and I have quite a lot of experience of US construction vessels. I can’t really envisage how any meaningful separation, “social distancing”, call it what you like, could be practiced amongst such a large complement, in such a confined space. Warships are designed so that people share accommodation and live and work in close quarters, that’s just how it is. 

Having lived and worked onboard, and spent time ( albeit limited) with the US /USMC , I would say its impossible on an operational warship........

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

The US Navy has at last released details of the sinking of USS Thresher in 1963. Only 300 pages of the 1700 pages that evidently exist but a big improvement on the 19 pages originally released. 

https://warisboring.com/navy-releases-hundreds-of-documents-from-investigation-into-sinking-of-thresher/

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 14/07/2020 at 01:51, Ozexpatriate said:

Started on Sunday. Still burning as of Monday night. The forward mast / radar tower has collapsed. USN still believes the hull can be saved.

If I was designing a fighting machine, I think I would include fewer flammable materials...

• Agree 1

In case you missed it Defenseone.com had this article bemoaning the warship repair yards in the US are in a poor state of repair and unable to keep pace with the demands of the fleet. Hope this is of interest. 

https://www.defenseone.com/business/2020/09/navy-pushes-more-ships-experts-warn-repair-yards-are-crumbling/168905/

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

An interesting development in anti-submarine warfare in this Forbes article about radar equipment carried by the P-8 Poseidon ASW aircraft. The UK has bought nine of these planes, I don't know if they carry this radar. Good news for submarine hunters; not so good for submariners. Hope you find this of interest. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambling/2020/11/16/new-us-navy-airborne-radar-may-spot-submerged-submarines/?sh=7f77b9b755d4

I don't know the formulas, but I do know that the penetration distances of useful frequencies are relatively low.  A snorting DE sub may be at risk of radar detection, but not a nuke driving around at 400ft or something...

That being said, I am aware that the use of radar to track wakes is NOT anything like as new as is being made out above- it's a computing problem, and the advances in computer capacities over the last 30 years mean that it is far easier than it used to be.

James

No, not strictly true.  SLOT lets you fire off a message, it's a radio in a 5" can basically, but it is only 1 way.  (and noisy when launched...).  ELF was used to give long range radio messages to subs- something must have replaced it as the US has allowed its ability to send ELF messages degrade.  It was a very low bitrate system, intended mostly to tell a single sub to come to periscope depth, or to announce to the missile boats to nuke the USSR...

See Red Storm Rising for details...

James

• Informative/Useful 1

On 14/07/2020 at 02:51, Ozexpatriate said:

Bit late coming to this thread - but it's normal for the main fire fighting systems to be disabled during repair periods on both military and commercial vessels. The reasoning is that accidental release is prevented - flooding enclosed spaces with CO2 tends to spoil the day for those inside said spaces. To combat this, extra fire watches, particularly at quiet periods, are in place. However, if someone is determined to engage in a spot of arson on board, then the best will in the world may well struggle to combat that.

Fires on board ship are, frankly, terrifying. Been there, done that...

Mark

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised the USN even thought about recommissioning the ship., but $30 million cost for scrapping?  I thought the scrapyards paid the seller for the deadweight of the steel.

Fires during construction and repair are always likely and are a problem to guarded against.  I've always felt a bit sorry for MHI when they had a fire onboard the partly completed Diamond/Sapphire Princess.

Peterfg

https://www.mhi.co.jp/technology/review/pdf/e416/e416310.pdf