Platforms Over Streams

Moggs Eye

Hi,

As I progress on my Holland Beck layout I've realised, through bad planning, that the station platform is now going to have to extend over the beck.

I know that has been done on the prototype in various places, but the only one I can think of is Pickering on the NYMR.

Could any of you point me in the direction of stations, preferably small ones, where the platform is on a bridge please?

All relevant contributions gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Ben.

Charing Cross, Cannon Street. Both small terminii - by London standards. ;-)

What with the GER being built on a marsh, there must be an example in East Anglia. (One of the coastal loco depots had tidal ebb and flow in the loco inspection pits...) Take a look at Snape which is practically on top the R Alde. or Melton and Woodbridge a litle further South on the R Deben.

Highbridge station, or Highbridge and Burnham as it is now known, crosses the River Brue.

post-7081-0-54927400-1497279647_thumb.jpg

Highbridge and Burnham looking up towards Bristol, the platform over the bridge is narrower since a rebuilding of the bridge, 30/9/2013

post-7081-0-52996300-1497279655_thumb.jpg

Highbridge and Burnham looking down towards Taunton 30/9/2013

cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And Cardiff Central extends over the River Taff (despite Brunel having diverted the Taff to avoid it back in 1850; it's been rebuilt a few times since then).  Bristol TM crosses the Avon at its western end, and is not far from the Floating Harbour at the other end.  Bath Spa is over the Avon at both ends.  Shrewsbury...

I suspect the OP is looking for examples of small branch line stations that are built partly above rivers, and these are a bit more difficult to find.  Llangollen sort of overhangs the Dee, and very picturesquely, at that!

• RMweb Gold

Portsmouth Harbour and the pier stations at Ryde (S Gauge) and Hythe (Hampshire - N Gauge) are over the sea/estuary. Has Southend still got its' pier railway?  Barton also had a pier station for the Humber ferry connection.

Edited by john new

In country areas, it was perhaps more common to divert the stream around the end of the platform if needed (e.g. Andoversford), so could you put an artificial channel around the end of your platforms?

As a matter of interest, King's Sutton platforms were extended northwards over the stream between 1900 and 1922.  They originally terminated about the location of the platform number signs, with the stream in a bridge beyond the 19th century platform ends.  Extension had to be northwards as the goods yard was in the way to any southerly extension.

You could go the other way, and look for stations with streams crossing above, rather than below, the platforms.

Sloane Square, on the District and Circle, for instance, has a large iron trunk carrying a stream (the Westbourne, of Westbourne Park fame) above the platforms, over the track, and I think there might be a few more, in hilly places.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

I can think of a couple of stream overbridges on the Diggle line, but I can't imagine anyone would build a station underneath one without a very good reason. 

Avoncliff is nearly under (and accessed from) an aqueduct though. 

Pollokshaws East, on the Cathcart Circle in Glasgow, is built on a viaduct over the White Cart Water. The eastern end of the up Gourock line platform at Paisley Gilmour Street is over the same river.

• RMweb Gold

I can think of a couple of stream overbridges on the Diggle line, but I can't imagine anyone would build a station underneath one without a very good reason. 

Avoncliff is nearly under (and accessed from) an aqueduct though. 

There is one on LT (Can't remember which) in west London IIRC and suffered horrendous flooding when the troughing/pipework broke. I'm sure someone on here can supply more details.

Thanks very much for the replies and contributions.

The context for the request is a fictional, extra location on the Barton Upon Humber branch and the watercourse in question is a typical, narrow Lincolnshire drainage channel, not something that would warrant a viaduct, or even an aqueduct over the line (interesting idea though).

Cheers,

Ben.